Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

Great news....

The Valence battery seller has agreed to a new price of £305.... !!!!

First come first served.

As above PM me for details.

Hi just purchased 4 valence batteries for my camper but have a problem with one. The green light is on permanently rather than flashing like the other 3. Anyone know how to fix this?
Kind regards

I‘ve just got round to looking at the size and it’s going to be a bit of a squeeze as it’s 25mm (+bolts) higher than my existing battery, so it’s going to have to go on it’s side, which means it will be 50mm wider. Don’t suppose it’ll be too much of a problem, but I’m going to have to rearrange everything under the seat. Mind you, I’ll need a new DC-`DC charger anyway as the Ctek I have doesn’t have a lithium profile so I may as well rip it all out and start from scratch again. At least my Victron solar charger will be fine still.
Just realised I’ll need another mains charger too and that’s built into the control system of the van. Suddenly doesn’t seem so cheap any more :laugh:
I was looking at Victron Smart Lithium over the weekend. The manual specifically states that the battery MUST be installed upright. According to the supplier it's something to do with chemicals settling :oops:

I was looking at Victron Smart Lithium over the weekend. The manual specifically states that the battery MUST be installed upright. According to the supplier it's something to do with chemicals settling :oops:
B*gger! In that case @Dellmassive I'm going to have to back out of this I'm afraid, I've just been out to the garage to check and 225mm high would touch the bottom of my swivel and that's without any bolt... Really sorry, I should have checked this before but just assumed if other people were buying it then it must fit fine, my own fault. Gutted, especially with the even lower price :(

B*gger! In that case @Dellmassive I'm going to have to back out of this I'm afraid, I've just been out to the garage to check and 225mm high would touch the bottom of my swivel and that's without any bolt... Really sorry, I should have checked this before but just assumed if other people were buying it then it must fit fine, my own fault. Gutted, especially with the even lower price :(
I've just googled can Lithium batteries be installed on their side, lots of info saying they can. Not sure why Victron say no, other than that was the way they were designed. Guess it might be worth checking with Valence

Yes the first result on Google says

"
Can lithium batteries be mounted on side?
The batteries can be mounted in any direction, even upside down. Since there is no liquid in them and they are solid the battery will work however you mount them."

Just trawling for more info now...

Just to clarify.

The Valence lifepo4 can be mounted side ways... It's in the manual.

I'll post later..

And you no not need any external BMS.

I regularly discharge at 45A , 55A or above when testing..... Above that things can start to warm up unless you are using super large cable sets.

Also just watched that vid...

The 30a max referees to the RT series.. not the XP series so not applicable... @andys

Unfortunately I dont have the spare cash at the moment due to my summer van overspend :whistle:
Hope he has some more in the spring, fancy doing a mobile battery box with one, are they much lighter than an AGM ?

For The Valence XP people,

here is the full manual:

and some clips,

1599500031964.png

1599500049971.png

1599500150594.png

1599500163716.png

1599500187543.png

1599500200378.png

1599500271432.png

Attachments

• Valence XP Manual.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
Hi just purchased 4 valence batteries for my camper but have a problem with one. The green light is on permanently rather than flashing like the other 3. Anyone know how to fix this?
Kind regards
where did you source them from?

you can interrogate the BMS withe= the cable and software above,

I've also posted the manual,

what therest voltage of that battery and the others?

The Victrons have an onboard BMS that deals with internal cell balancing & Bluetooth comms.

and are self sufficient in regards to stand alone charge/discharge . . ..

but to talk to all the Victron full setup the VE Direct BMS is recommended.

but for a T6 install, one or two batteries. i wouldnt bother with the external BMS (same for the Valence)
1599504410083.png

1599504252425.png

1599504244933.png

They don’t have an onboard BMS. o_O
Let me qualify this comment, since @Hickey finds it funny

In my opinion the system onboard the Victron battery is a cell balancing system. Not a battery monitoring system. Without a separate BMS the battery will not stop accepting charge if the temperature is out of range, It will not disconnect the load if there is a problem within the cells, in fact, it will do nothing. With one of the 4 separate BMS's from Victron, plus a battery disconnect and charge disconnect module, if there is and internal problem or the temperature is too cold or hot the battery will be prevented from charging and or the load disconnected automatically without user intervention. That IMO is a battery monitoring system.

I for one would not be happy sleeping in my van at night knowing if there was an issue nothing would be done about it. It's no laughing matter. :thumbsup:

Back