Leisure Battery Charging

Oh travelvolts - you are so wrong about me being wrong that it really does worry me!! Physics lesson on the first electrical equation any of us learn - ohms law:

V=IR,
I=V/R

Therefore increase the voltage - increase the current.

In case you think you're still right - have a look here:

Ohm's law - Wikipedia

Phil, Yes I looked at the manual and install instructions and took them for gospel too - despite the anomalies, hence why I always fitted a more complex system. However when I did connect one as described and logged the voltages, there was a potential difference between the two connections much greater than could be causedd by any connection voltage drops. I suspect CBE do need to alter their paperwork though.
OK, I put my hands up. I got this one completely wrong. Misunderstood your original comments and my reply was of course total rubbish. I think you know what I meant though. Anyway, having read it through properly I have removed my comments to avoid further confusion to anyone joining this thread further down the line. I apologise to anyone that may have been confused by my comments already. Yes, I do know ohms law!

OK, I put my hands up. I got this one completely wrong. Misunderstood your original comments and my reply was of course total rubbish. I think you know what I meant though. Anyway, having read it through properly I have removed my comments to avoid further confusion to anyone joining this thread further down the line. I apologise to anyone that may have been confused by my comments already. Yes, I do know ohms law!
Darn you @travelvolts - I've had the annoying "Phenomenon" song in my head since yesterday afternoon and its all for nothing!!! :)

I had/have no idea what you guys were talking/discussing but what a great discussion could not stop reading even with no idea..
Well played on all parts..

... "Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Tonto posing as a door, gets his nob shot off!" :)

...and I went up the shed early this morning to carryout a very un scientific experiment.
IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0461.jpg

**remember not to use a filament lamp for a text book ohms law example as the resistance drops as the filament gets hot ;) but assuming its already hot and the resistance stable the above is correct.

However, I still stick by my point that it is far simpler to use a DC-DC charger to interface between the vehicle and the leisure systems.

Last edited:
remember not to use a filament lamp for a text book ohms law example as the resistance drops as the filament gets hot...
Erm.... actually... erm.... ;)
Its the positive temperature coefficient that self-regulates a bulb.
If it was negative as you suggest Loz, as it heated the filament would take more & more current until it popped! (thermal runaway)
afro.gif

Whats the hairdresser from Bad Boys got to do with it? :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Loz - you must have got up earlier than me - and saved me the trouble of setting up the science lab bit. But I think Travelvolt has looked back at the thread anyways and has seen the light.

The written word can be more misleading sometimes than the spoken word hence why we all get a wee bit passionate and hot under the collar about things - sorry if we all got a bit personal.

For the record, I also agree with you and travelvolt that a good DC to DC charger IS the best charging solution - I have never said otherwise. My comments re the CBE are only saying that there are other methods and that there may be room to look back at what is thought of as old wisdom.

This was why I specifically mentioned the CBE split charge facility as it cannot be just an ignition activated VSR as described in the literature as it does not behave like one.

To sum up me lud:
  1. A straight relay link (by VSR or ignition) cannot control current flow to a device - the points are either closed or open and whatever current is driven by the potential difference in the two nodes will flow across the points regardless of whatever rating is on the relay, either burning out the relay, wiring or fusing at the weakest link. The CBE split charge will not drive more than 30A through the relay regardless of the battery states. I suspect FET's are involved which aren't the most sophisticated method as there is definitely no PWM on the trace when you zoom in to data points.
  2. A straight relay link like a VSR or ignition controlled relay will not see a variable voltage drop across the input and output between 0.01v and 0.68v for a relatively stable input voltage. Losses of this order would generate sufficient heat somewhere to be noticeable.
  3. A straight relay link, even with a time delay on a VSR will 'bounce' around the drop out voltage until the voltages stabilise between the two charge stores. Through the full range of voltages, the CBE split charge does not drop out when activated.

My suspicion is that the CBE is no more sophisticated than a FET controlled caravan split charge relay would be; not the best solution for charging aux batteries but still one that works to a point. There are downfalls with this solution as once the voltages do stabilise and both batteries are fully charged and the current flow reduces, the regen voltages DO appear at the aux battery. This is why we always activate the 'disconnect' device so that any 'Aldi' fairy lights installed by users I mentioned before do not see 1.25 x their rated voltage. Battery pairing is vitally important with this less sophisticated charging method.

Yes this setup will never charge the batteries to 99.99% but in a lot of instances it can be sufficient to meet the purposes and needs of the user and yes we could debate battery conditioning, surface charging, desulphation via PWM, discharge and float charging, ramping charges etc etc in charge cycles all of which take you from lets say a 97% capacity charged battery to a 99% charged battery but that wasn't what I was trying to debate.

So if a DC-DC is agreed as the best option, why raise the topic? If the 'con' is that the CBE is definitely not as good at charging the aux battery as a DC-DC charger is what's the 'pro'?? In a word cost. I can buy a 240v charger, switch panel with gauges for my camper circuits, built in fuse box, split charge (contentious or otherwise) and mains distribution box for less than the cost of a 'cheap' battery to battery charger.
It is more a choice than a 'right' or 'wrong'. The choice being to have a battery charged to what you may deem an acceptable operational level and accept there may be maintenance issues and that you might get 12 hours off grid instead of 14, or spend a few hundred quid on trying to attain the holy grail of a fully charged battery, relatively speaking 'maintenance free' with the benefits that go along with the DC-DC charger. When I explain to customers the benefit of DC-DC and that it will mean an additional £400 to the build, they often opt for the cheaper solution.

The only thing the non DC-DC systems don't cater for, is the the back flow of current that we see on these new blue motion software that puts the alternator to idle and this causes a back flow out of the leisure side as demonstrated here;
19078-7ccc6cc967720966f3e1447e5e600e6a.jpg

<wing commander voice>Good debate chaps!

Last edited:
Agreed Loz, the CBE manual specifically says that:

'an electronic device allows a recharging (max 2A) of the car battery (B1)' - It was this statement that made me get the test gear out as any straight linked relay cannot do that.

At the sincere hope that Paul doesn't drum me out of the virtual T6 Forum Fort if I mention the 'F' word here (Ford) - even this back current from aux to vehicle is enough to make a Transit throw a tissy fit all over it's dashboard :mad: and in this instance the only solution is to fit a Dc-Dc charger.

Anyways best get on with some real work, my two finger typing skills have been put to the test over the past 48 hours! :sleep:

Interesting debate thanks folks. For my education, does a smart alternator put out more volts than a standard one when it is generating ?

I assume not, otherwise we would need more regulation around the various vehicle electrical systems to cope, which sort of detracts from the point of the smart alternator.

Thanks,

Pete

Its all related to Blue Motion Pete, when any alternator is generating it puts a load on the engine, causing it to work harder and produce more emmissions.
So what BMT does is to allow the battery to discharge in normal driving, down to around 80%. Then, when you brake, as well as your conventional disk brakes, BMT tells the alternator to heavily charge the battery, putting a huge load on the engine which gives a further braking effect. In doing this it generates a higher than usual voltage to force current into the battery. The benefit of regenerative braking is that much of the charging is done using energy that would normally be wasted as heat in your disks, instead of from burning more diesel.
The disadvantage is that everything in the van has to be happy with this wide voltage swing, from the lower voltage at 80% charge to the 15v or more created by regenerative braking from the alternator.
[/nutshell]
afro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Got that thanks, but I have just read that some smart alternators (Renault is mentioned) put out 17 volts and more. If this is correct, then more regulation/protection must be needed for more sensitive components.

I realise this may not apply to T6’s, but just trying to educate myself.

Pete

Got that thanks, but I have just read that some smart alternators (Renault is mentioned) put out 17 volts and more. If this is correct, then more regulation/protection must be needed for more sensitive components.

Pete
That wouldn't surprise me, and they also need to keep up their reputation for catching fire... ::D:eek::speechless:

What triggered this query was something I noticed when we were last out in the van. We had the ventilation fan on quite high, and every time we went into overrun, we could hear the fan speed rise slightly, and it dropped when we accelerated. I put this down to the operation of the smart alternator, then started to wonder about voltage regulation and maximum alternator output voltages.

Pete

Pete

Seriously worried Paul will throw me out for mentioning Fords twice in one thread here... The Transit will spit out at least 16.5v even without regeneration and has two batteries to soak up the dumped energy, one that receives engine charge and one that receives the overflow.

You're quite right that this does make regulation more difficult and most modern vehicles supply power to consumers via the nodal CAN systems, e.g. Engine ECU, Body ECU etc. In my mind we missed the boat moving to 48v alternators around 10 years ago which would have allowed a lot of things to shrink - especially the amount of wiring in vehicles. Back then I was involved in a military vehicle with a 48v nodal CAN system and reduced the weight of the wiring from the 24v system weight of 180kg to 60kg.

The only thing the non DC-DC systems don't cater for, is the the back flow of current that we see on these new blue motion software that puts the alternator to idle and this causes a back flow out of the leisure side as demonstrated here;
View attachment 24162

<wing commander voice>Good debate chaps!

Ooh Loz - that's not pretty all those lovely hard earned amps draining away out of your California leisure battery explains the need for a Dc-DC charger best of all :sick:

What triggered this query was something I noticed when we were last out in the van. We had the ventilation fan on quite high, and every time we went into overrun, we could hear the fan speed rise slightly, and it dropped when we accelerated. I put this down to the operation of the smart alternator, then started to wonder about voltage regulation and maximum alternator output voltages.

Pete
It isn't a problem if you use a DC-DC charger as the charging voltage is restricted to suit whatever battery type you are using. This will protect your conversion electrics from the high voltage produced by the alternator.

Back