Leisure Battery Charging Advice

Hello again.......I hate to repeat myself but.....my 2017 T6 Blue Motion, which I ordered with the 2nd battery option from VW, works perfectly.
Starter battery 12.4-5v, 2nd battery ,(AGM under seat) 12.8-9v. and I haven't had to add or change anything to it. Works perfectly for camping.
Cheers.
Out of interest Graham, what loads are you running off your leisure battry?

I had the same setup..... though VW fitted an EFB+ instead of an AGM like yours.

It was fine running small usb chargers and led lights . . . . But when we added the laptop chargers,fridge,more camera chargers + inverter etc it started to struggle.

Out of interest Graham, what loads are you running off your leisure battry?

I had the same setup..... though VW fitted an EFB+ instead of an AGM like yours.

It was fine running small usb chargers and led lights . . . . But when we added the laptop chargers,fridge,more camera chargers + inverter etc it started to struggle.

Hi again.....as I have said before.....I only run lights and Waeco CF50 fridge. No problem camping ....if 2nd battery runs down with fridge , I just run engine 20 to 30 mins. and tops up nicely....I don't let 2nd battery get very low though.
Factory fit came with EFB+ battery as starter and AGM 110 ah as 2nd battery.
As for charge system will not work correctly...please explain why after 18 months starter constantly on 12.4-5v and 2nd battery
constantly on 12.8v at rest........so far no problems after 18 months of use.
Cheers.

Sorry for bringing it up in first place guys , only wanted to help another from the information that a was given from a friend , don't really want guys argue over what happens to work but isn't ment to , I know a DC to DC is the best for me , but really if someone can help the member that has problems with his relay that would be great

Hi again.....as I have said before.....I only run lights and Waeco CF50 fridge. No problem camping ....if 2nd battery runs down with fridge , I just run engine 20 to 30 mins. and tops up nicely....I don't let 2nd battery get very low though.
Factory fit came with EFB+ battery as starter and AGM 110 ah as 2nd battery.
As for charge system will not work correctly...please explain why after 18 months starter constantly on 12.4-5v and 2nd battery
constantly on 12.8v at rest........so far no problems after 18 months of use.
Cheers.

@Graham Jones . Thats good that it works out for you.

Do you use any battery monitoring? Like ctek,bm2,victron? Or just volt meters?

Any chance of some screenshots or some pics of your setup?

@Graham Jones . Thats good that it works out for you.

Do you use any battery monitoring? Like ctek,bm2,victron? Or just volt meters?

Any chance of some screenshots or some pics of your setup?

Only use plug in voltmeters.....and differentiate between batteries with cigarette lighter socket for starter battery and direct wired Waeceo 12v socket (for fridge) or top dash socket for 2nd battery.
Sorry no screen shots of set up.....all I know is battery under seat is AGM VARTA 110 ah. as ordered from VW.
Wish I knew why it works so well when it is not supposed to....I have heard that VW change something in the ECU to make sure both batteries receive needed charge.
Cheers

I have the ctek d250sa that works great and also has the solar input , only down fall I can see is the solar max input is 23v which if am honest is plenty , ye just have to make sure your solar panel doesn't have a higher rating , also the new ctek d250s(e) is out and it's not much more Money than my one and you then have the option to have lithium battery if you ever wanted

My solar panel outputs 24v so it looks like i'll have to go for the Redarc.

Do you have your solar setup running through it?
What kind of interface does it have to monitor the charging?

Sorry for all the questions.
There is no built in interface to the redarc other than a couple of LED's on the front panel. You can add in your own battery monitor, there are loads to choose from. I have a simple CTEK battery monitor and also a Bluetooth NASA BM1. Both of which I seem to spend far too much time looking at :laugh:

The crux of the matter is this. If your leisure battery usage when camping is very light you will probably not see the shortcomings of a relay based system for a couple of years, when, your battery will fail prematurely due to incorrect charging. If your usage is heavy then you will notice it almost immediately. None of this is just "opinion", it is FACT. The laws of physics don't change in camper vans!

Installing the Victron battery monitor has made a big difference to understanding what’s been happening (or not) with our old split relay. I reckon they or similar should be standard when getting an installation done by a professional converter rather than relying on the poxy lighting system on the Zigg panel. Certainly wouldn’t be without one now.

Plus you get a warm comfortable feeling watching the solar bring the battery back up to full power after having had the Heater going all night.

Hello again.......I hate to repeat myself but.....my 2017 T6 Blue Motion, which I ordered with the 2nd battery option from VW, works perfectly.
Starter battery 12.4-5v, 2nd battery ,(AGM under seat) 12.8-9v. and I haven't had to add or change anything to it. Works perfectly for camping.
Cheers.
Mine is the same :), actually up here majority of Transporters have got the same 2nd battery option by default. Have been through four winters with temperatures down to -32C - no external electrical hookups - just stand-alone system. Certainly not exactly camping then, just using factory heater to preheat the engine and cabin before setting off.

An alternator, whether of the latest intelligent type or any of the older ones have NEVER and will NEVER fully charge a battery to 100% unless it has been retro fitted with a proper regulator.

An alternator, whether of the latest intelligent type or any of the older ones have NEVER and will NEVER fully charge a battery to 100% unless it has been retro fitted with a proper regulator.

Ah well......I'm satisfied with 12.8v for 2nd battery...

Hi just had mine for 1 year only use for lights charging phone don't know if fridge works off it but over night gone down past half way is that normal

Thanks oilman

Back