Leisure Battery Charging Advice

LSNE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
OK guys, I've finally managed to repair my solar panel.
It's now charging my leisure battery via an MPPT solar controller.

While the solar panel was down, my leisure battery went dead due to not charging via the alternator.
With my limited knowledge, it looks like a VSR under the drivers seat is not working. (No light coming on)
Reading the forum the VSR shouldn't be used with the T6.

Do I need to replace the VSR with a DC-DC charger?
Or will the solar panel suffice?

The only time the van will be used over the winter will be on electric hookup.

Cheers

If it's a euro 6 engine with start stop then you would need a DC to DC charger am afraid , there are t6s out there with the older euro 5 engine that can use the split charger without a problem , really am sure the split charger will still work to an extent so should still switch on and give you some charge , have ye checked the fuse ?

Yeah it's got stop start.

Fuse is OK.
Unfortunately it sounds like starter battery isn't getn up to the voltage the relay needs for it to switch on , because our AGM batterys only get up to around 80% charge most of the time then it's just not enough for the vsr to trigger on, am assuming it has worked before ?

DC to DC charger is really the only way to go for you to have leisure battery charging every time you turn the key buddy

Unfortunately it sounds like starter battery isn't getn up to the voltage the relay needs for it to switch on , because our AGM batterys only get up to around 80% charge most of the time then it's just not enough for the vsr to trigger on, am assuming it has worked before ?

Leisure battery - 11.91v
Starter battery - 12.85v

Once the vans running, starter battery is at 14.84v and no change on the leisure battery reading.

I presume it's ran in the past as i've heard it clicking in.

As above you have a VSR and will need to swap it out for Dc-dc charger...

There will be a fuse on the large fat cable up by the starter battery (vsr source) that's probably blown due to the large current a flat battery will pull via a vsr.

There should also be a second same fuse at the leisure battery end...so two fuses on the fat cable from end to end.

Ctek, ring, redarc, ablemail are popular dc-dc chargers.

I use a redarc bcdc1240 myself.

Had a similar issue in that the split charge relay (scr) stopped working (if it ever did because solar panel may have masked ineffectiveness of the scr). When the solar panel also gave up the ghost became all too obvious the scr had packed up.

Martyn at Travelvolts replaced the scr with a Redarc battery to battery charger and upgraded the solar panel to 150w and all working like a dream. Very very pleased with the result.

As above you have a VSR and will need to swap it out for Dc-dc charger...

There will be a fuse on the large fat cable up by the starter battery (vsr source) that's probably blown due to the large current a flat battery will pull via a vsr.

There should also be a second same fuse at the leisure battery end...so two fuses on the fat cable from end to end.

Checked the fuse at the starter which is OK.
No fuse fitted at the leisure battery end.

Any advice on what specs I should be looking for on a DC-DC charger?

I went for the Redarc BCDC1240D because it allowed direct connection to the solar panel and I believe it to be lithium ready as well as likely to go down that route at some point in the future.

I have the ctek d250sa that works great and also has the solar input , only down fall I can see is the solar max input is 23v which if am honest is plenty , ye just have to make sure your solar panel doesn't have a higher rating , also the new ctek d250s(e) is out and it's not much more Money than my one and you then have the option to have lithium battery if you ever wanted

there are t6s out there with the older euro 5 that can use the split charger without a problem

The Euro 5 engine in the T6 is also Bluemotion; I.e it also has start/stop. VSR isn't suitable as above.

If it's a euro 6 engine with start stop then you would need a DC to DC charger am afraid , there are t6s out there with the older euro 5 engine that can use the split charger without a problem , really am sure the split charger will still work to an extent so should still switch on and give you some charge , have ye checked the fuse ?

No t6 is vsr suitable. Please be sure you know what you're talking about when giving out electrical advice.

The factory setup is a SCR..... which I have since upgraded to a dc-dc charger due to poor performance of the OEM relay setup. (Ie 80% fully charged cutoff of a battery that you can only use 50% DOD, leaving you with 30% usable capacity)

No t6 is vsr suitable. Please be sure you know what you're talking about when giving out electrical advice.
Are you positive about this as my friend has a 16 plate panel Van with euro 5 engine with a vsr installation and he dosent seem to have had a problem

Hello again.......I hate to repeat myself but.....my 2017 T6 Blue Motion, which I ordered with the 2nd battery option from VW, works perfectly.
Starter battery 12.4-5v, 2nd battery ,(AGM under seat) 12.8-9v. and I haven't had to add or change anything to it. Works perfectly for camping.
Cheers.

Reactions: mmi
Hello again.......I hate to repeat myself but.....my 2017 T6 Blue Motion, which I ordered with the 2nd battery option from VW, works perfectly.
Starter battery 12.4-5v, 2nd battery ,(AGM under seat) 12.8-9v. and I haven't had to add or change anything to it. Works perfectly for camping.
Cheers.

The factory system doesn't work properly at all and it will only be a matter of time until you see that assuming you actually use the 2nd battery.

Are you positive about this as my friend has a 16 plate panel Van with euro 5 engine with a vsr installation and he dosent seem to have had a problem

Technically a vsr will put some charge in but if you actually look at what's going on then you'll realise a vsr does not work correctly on any bluemotion vehicle.

Back