Led Fog Light Upgrade (dual Colour) - How I Did It -

I've given up on the multicoloured coloured led's, they don't work very well on a VAG for a few reasons, including canbus errors and not really doing what they are supposed to do with reference to the indicator and fog light functions.

Also the support is dire, they take days to respond and don't really have a clue anyway.

Stick with the two colour jobbies that @Dellmassive fitted and avoid the multicoloured lamps would be my advice.

@Insert Coin, I've just returned my dual colour ones as one of the plugs, the pin was manufactured only half way out so giving errors, also the fact they wiped my DAB signal, no planet rock, no keepy

Next please :)

@Dellmassive
What is your experience with the bulbs you´ve mounted on how they compare in terms of temperature vs standard bulbs.
Do they, or their electronics, run hot or the opposite and is having a hard time drying condensation in the housing.

Thanks for a great and inspirational guide.

Colour temps are as stated and much brighter crisper white than the stock halogens.

not sure on the running temps as I've not been back inside the cover since fitting them.

and i haven't had any issues with water ingress or moisture in the fog housing.

The new led lamps are in and working, but there were a few issues along the way.

There are no instructions in the box, only a basic diagram on the back of the controller, but essentially just a gnd, fused +12v, indicator signal feed x2 and a signal feed from one fog light.

The controller stays permanently live, it's not switched via the ignition so the new fog lamps will flash orange when you lock the van or if you want to use the phone app and have them working independently of the ignition.

My auto-spark got it all working, checked everything but he couldn't get the lamps to stop doing the crazy disco demo thing, even with the ignition off, but if you put the hazards on then they would flash orange as they should, but when you turned the hazards off they would start the demo again.

So my only real grumble would be the phone app, at no stage either in the box or on the website does it mention what app you need to control the lamps, after much Googling I found a video and a pdf that both mentioned an app called Magic Led Light V2 (it's not this one!).
This app wouldn't pick up the controller at all (bluetooth) and at this point I messaged via Facebook the Autobeam guys for assistance because I had to pull the controller fuse or I would have been driving a disco bus out on the roads.

A little more Googling and I found a mention somewhere of another app called Magic Led, this one did pick up the controller and all the lighting options suddenly became available. The app showed that the lights were in a loop, switching the loop off stopped them from being stuck on constantly and allowed the electrician to give a sigh of relief. (he's old school and doesn't understand this kind of thing)

So I had a play with the app, there are 100's of different patterns available, but essentially they all do the same thing just with different colours.

When I went to leave last night I did a final test and the indicators in the fogs were flashing orange, but they were flashing way too fast and more like flickering than flashing, also the 'lamp out' is illuminated on the dials, not ideal.

I've pulled the fuse for 60 seconds this morning and the fog light indicators are working correctly now, so I'm not sure what happened, hopefully it's just a glitch.

View attachment 35508 View attachment 35509 View attachment 35511 View attachment 35514 View attachment 35515

View attachment 35517

View attachment 35518

lol, you nutter. I suppose someone had to do it. =]

Why does the off side headlight seem to be missing 2 lines in this pic?
That would be due to the scan rate of the camera, as the LEDs are acually flashing very fast (PWM) so the bightness can be changed.

So who else has the DAB drop-off then? Anyone tried the ferrites?

Just sending my pair back as they arrived with one of the pins only half way out so didn't make contact. Manufacturing error as I tried to tease it out but appears to be sealed/potted in place
No DAB issues with mine, but we are London based so DAB signal is very good.

In regard to the reduction of DAB reception, I did noticed a drop off of DAB reception after I fitted the fogs, I put some ferrite magnets on the cables and the DAB was back to normal.....nearly.

I still get a slight reduction in DAB reception when the fogs are on, but it is hardly noticeable and as I don't drive with my fogs on all the time its not really a problem, so Planet Rock can keep rocking :thumbsup:

Well! mine arrived today & got them fitted, however they seem to be a very loose sloppy fit in the foglights. I tried to add a thin "O" ring behind the rubber seal to tighten it up a tad, but it was too much & the bulb body wouldn't turn in the lamp body. I'm not convinced:(

I'm a bit late to the show, but just ordered these.
Price has increased significantly since the first post:confused:

Hey @Dellmassive so I purchased a pair of the H11 LED Switchback Fog Unit and installed them yesterday.

As a fog light, they're insanely great in both white and yellow colour.

However, they stopped working as cornering lights.

The cornering light would generally turn on when in parking - that worked fine yesterday.

Today, I took my Khalee for a spin, and when I tried to leave the parking, I noticed the light wouldn't go on anymore. They work fine as fog lights but not as cornering lights anymore.

I re-started the engine, turned the wheels and cornering light went on for 2 sec and then off. It wouldn't turn on again afterwards - even when turned the engine off and on again. They still work as fog lights though.

In some other form thread, someone advised "There is a setting where they don’t come in unless you’re going slower than 25mph" so I've tried going over 25mph and no difference. I clearly remember there were mainly going on when in parking - never saw my cornering lights going on while driving.

I've tried the following to troubleshoot:

1. I've connected Carista and found no errors.
2. I've tried switching the plug like turn around the plug 180 degrees but that stopped the light from working at all. So, I switched back the plug, fog lights working fine, cornering light still doesn't work.
3. Someone advised

I've run out of ideas - seem like will have to try to send them back. It's not a massive loss like I didn't use these cornering lights much but just don't like the fact something isn't working as expected...

I've run out of ideas... maybe you can think of something I haven't tried?

@Loz / @Dellmassive - do these work for you ok as cornering lights at all?

Thanks,
Lakis

yes my cornering fogs work fine.

from memory the cornering lights work/activate when you drive above 5/10mph ish and then start slowing for a corner,

and with the headlights ON.

then they come on when turning a corner, then go off when the steering is levelled out and speed increase's.

The cornering light function is just software from the BCM. . . .

so are the FOGS still working from the light switch? - you say they are.

you could try a BCM reset?

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

1611698379328.png

i cant say that I've noticed the fogs coming on when putting in reverse? . . . .

ill have a look next time . . . .

Edit...

Just checked..

Sure enough both the fogs do come on when you put in reverse...I never noticed before..

Only when main lights are on.

Nothing in day mode or sidelights only... just full auto at night, or switch set too main.

Last edited:
one annoying thing I've noticed about the "switchback" LEDs is if you're manoeuvring & shunting, you can end up with the colour changing on one bulb, so you end up with one white & one yellow.

Back