Led Fog Light Upgrade (dual Colour) - How I Did It -

So how they doing after a few days peeps, no bulb warnings or the like? So what happens if you turn a slow speed corner, light comes on, then just as it goes off you turn the corner again, does it light up amber, anyone care to be a test donkey lol

So how they doing after a few days peeps, no bulb warnings or the like? So what happens if you turn a slow speed corner, light comes on, then just as it goes off you turn the corner again, does it light up amber, anyone care to be a test donkey lol
Lol.

Yeh I've done that.

You get one yellow one white for a while.... but you have to try hard to make it happen.

I even tried switching fogs on/off while cornering,...similar effect.

But they reset back to normal after the fogs have been off for 3 seconds.

Normal driving operation is as expected.

No bilb errors.

Switching from white to yellow on the move are seamless.

And they are much brighter than the stock H11.

You realy notice the turning assist lights at night.

You get one yellow one white for a while - haha, thought they might lol

You really notice the turning assist lights at night - yeah, with the LED headlights I can hardly tell my corner lights come on

So what do these lamps look from for the other angle.

we lets have a look.

This is the new LED FOG on BIGHT WHITE setting . . . . .

View attachment 35112

and this is the YELLOW SNOW/FOG setting . . . . .

View attachment 35113

So there we have it.

I must say, so far i am very impressed.

The bightness, coulour, build quality is all very good.

Now its just a matter of time . . . . . . WILL THEY LAST !!

lets see, but for now im a very happy bunny.

They are covered by 2 year warranty, so hopefully if there are any problems you are covered.

The lamps arrived this morning. :cool:

I've got my auto-electrician coming out to fit them this afternoon, I'm more than capable, but I know he'll do a neater job routing the cables and splicing into the indicator feeds.

Expect a demo some time this evening :laugh:

@Dellmassive
What is your experience with the bulbs you´ve mounted on how they compare in terms of temperature vs standard bulbs.
Do they, or their electronics, run hot or the opposite and is having a hard time drying condensation in the housing.

Thanks for a great and inspirational guide.

Last edited:
This turned into a bit of a job for the poor bloke, I said he'd have them fitted in an hour. :laugh:

@Dellmassive has fitted the colour change fogs which are a lot less hassle, with hindsight it's what I should have bought.

Running the cables from the little box of tricks fitted near the battery over to the offside fog lamp was fairly easy, but the path from the nearside fog lamp up into the engine bay was very difficult without removing bumpers and headlamps etc or drilling new holes.
The indicator feeds are easy to get to, and he's going to splice into that loom today, or pick out the pins and re-crimp them.

Hopefully he'll be back today to finish off and I can get them demo'd.

Thanks for sharing with us but I recently installed HID kit and it is working evidently in fog with sharp and bright light.

The new led lamps are in and working, but there were a few issues along the way.

There are no instructions in the box, only a basic diagram on the back of the controller, but essentially just a gnd, fused +12v, indicator signal feed x2 and a signal feed from one fog light.

The controller stays permanently live, it's not switched via the ignition so the new fog lamps will flash orange when you lock the van or if you want to use the phone app and have them working independently of the ignition.

My auto-spark got it all working, checked everything but he couldn't get the lamps to stop doing the crazy disco demo thing, even with the ignition off, but if you put the hazards on then they would flash orange as they should, but when you turned the hazards off they would start the demo again.

So my only real grumble would be the phone app, at no stage either in the box or on the website does it mention what app you need to control the lamps, after much Googling I found a video and a pdf that both mentioned an app called Magic Led Light V2 (it's not this one!).
This app wouldn't pick up the controller at all (bluetooth) and at this point I messaged via Facebook the Autobeam guys for assistance because I had to pull the controller fuse or I would have been driving a disco bus out on the roads.

A little more Googling and I found a mention somewhere of another app called Magic Led, this one did pick up the controller and all the lighting options suddenly became available. The app showed that the lights were in a loop, switching the loop off stopped them from being stuck on constantly and allowed the electrician to give a sigh of relief. (he's old school and doesn't understand this kind of thing)

So I had a play with the app, there are 100's of different patterns available, but essentially they all do the same thing just with different colours.

When I went to leave last night I did a final test and the indicators in the fogs were flashing orange, but they were flashing way too fast and more like flickering than flashing, also the 'lamp out' is illuminated on the dials, not ideal.

I've pulled the fuse for 60 seconds this morning and the fog light indicators are working correctly now, so I'm not sure what happened, hopefully it's just a glitch.

2019-01-18 07.29.33.jpg 2019-01-18 07.29.42.jpg 2019-01-18 07.29.50.jpg 2019-01-18 07.29.56.jpg 2019-01-18 07.30.07.jpg

2019-01-18 08.27.36.gif

2019-01-18 08.28.40.gif

So the flickering indicators are back, it's the canbus light error thingy we seem to think.

Autobeam are sending out two resistors in the post on Monday, I'm a little surprised this hasn't cropped up before for them, but hopefully this will cure it.

The only issue is I know these resistors get hot so I need to find somewhere decent to mount them and it looks as though I'll need to splice the wiring again which I was trying to avoid.

Obviously don't go cable tying them to cotton wool, but they wont get that hot as they are cycling on & off & normally not for that long. They wont get any hotter than the std filament bulb & may actually help if you get condensation in your lights like some folk do. As a temp test, you could wire something like a 5w sidelight/dash type bulb in parallel just to give it some load to see.

So the flickering indicators are back, it's the canbus light error thingy we seem to think.

Autobeam are sending out two resistors in the post on Monday, I'm a little surprised this hasn't cropped up before for them, but hopefully this will cure it.

The only issue is I know these resistors get hot so I need to find somewhere decent to mount them and it looks as though I'll need to splice the wiring again which I was trying to avoid.

Obviously don't go cable tying them to cotton wool, but they wont get that hot as they are cycling on & off & normally not for that long. They wont get any hotter than the std filament bulb & may actually help if you get condensation in your lights like some folk do. As a temp test, you could wire something like a 5w sidelight/dash type bulb in parallel just to give it some load to see.

I've seen some kits on Ebay as well, these kits are plug and play with the H11 loom, they look easier to fit without needing to splice anything.
I'm just not sure if there's anything metallic to mount the resistors to inside or around the fog light area that won't melt if they get warm though.

Dont worry too much, as I say, I would just try to cable tie them in free air, so that the resistor is not actually touching anything. You are only trying to emulate 21w at max load, (probably wont even need 5w to clear the bulb check, tbh & they work over a wide range due to hot/cold filament & resistances changing) , not a headlight bulb or the like. Sometimes it is easier to use a 5w sidelight bulb, then make a shroud to stop the light shining.

I've seen some kits on Ebay as well, these kits are plug and play with the H11 loom, they look easier to fit without needing to splice anything.
I'm just not sure if there's anything metallic to mount the resistors to inside or around the fog light area that won't melt if they get warm though.

Back