Is this van worth the advertised price?

Yes, I've spent longer than I care to admit looking through adverts recently and we're almost wondering what's wrong with it?
Seems a decent price, and decent spec. Assume it’s priced down due to mileage. But as already mentioned, if it’s got full history and appears to have had belt and pump done, seems like a good buy. Let us know if you get that warm and fuzzy feeling when you take a look.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202205145695271?atmobcid=soc3

Hello wise folks of the T6 world.
We are in the process of researching our used base van for our conversion. We were wondering if someone would be able to cast an eye over the attached van from auto trader.

It ticks most of the boxes we think we are looking for (100bhp+, highline, under £20K, not white, T28/30.) but we would welcome any advice on potential pitfalls that we may not have seen. We hope to go and see it in the flesh at the weekend.
All and any advice from a trained eye gratefully received.
Thanks
TC & Mrs J

We're probably not going for this van. I drove it today and whilst it felt okay to drive, we didn't get a very good vibe from the dealer. Not many good reviews about their after sales care or warranty support and we even met someone on the forecourt who was back for the 4th time with issues with his car (nice shiny blue Audi sports thing) who told us he wasn't impressed. There were a couple of cosmetic things with the van, which whilst it did have a true service history ( I checked the book) had obviously had a hard life as a traders van. It had a few more rust spots than I would have liked for that age and 'age related paint scrapes' and adding it all up we walked away rather than risk a good wedge of our savings.

They also had a sport line 60 edition, which was out of our budget, but neither that nor the one we looked at had been moved (or washed) in quite a while and we were surprised that they had been there for a while, knowing what the VW market moves like with other vans we've had an eye on getting snapped up before we've seen them in the flesh.

We're happy to wait for 'the one' that gives us the right feeling but may have to pay a bit more for main dealer peace of mind.

We're probably not going for this van. I drove it today and whilst it felt okay to drive, we didn't get a very good vibe from the dealer. Not many good reviews about their after sales care or warranty support and we even met someone on the forecourt who was back for the 4th time with issues with his car (nice shiny blue Audi sports thing) who told us he wasn't impressed. There were a couple of cosmetic things with the van, which whilst it did have a true service history ( I checked the book) had obviously had a hard life as a traders van. It had a few more rust spots than I would have liked for that age and 'age related paint scrapes' and adding it all up we walked away rather than risk a good wedge of our savings.

They also had a sport line 60 edition, which was out of our budget, but neither that nor the one we looked at had been moved (or washed) in quite a while and we were surprised that they had been there for a while, knowing what the VW market moves like with other vans we've had an eye on getting snapped up before we've seen them in the flesh.

We're happy to wait for 'the one' that gives us the right feeling but may have to pay a bit more for main dealer peace of mind.
Sensible. If your gut says no then make it a no. Plenty of time to find the right one. Good luck with your search

Agree on that completely.

Totally agree with the guys above there’s plenty out there to choose from!

Thanks all. Do the market values change much with the seasons (ie everyone wants a camper for the summer?) and new Reg coming out in Sept or are they pretty stable through the year?

This will highly likely be our one and only van purchase so we're happy to wait for the right one.

Thanks all. Do the market values change much with the seasons (ie everyone wants a camper for the summer?) and new Reg coming out in Sept or are they pretty stable through the year?

This will highly likely be our one and only van purchase so we're happy to wait for the right one.
In normal times, reportedly, yes for second hand. But with COVID increasing demand AND reducing supply, prices have gone up and stayed up.

Having said that, there have been reports (OK, one dealer I saw on YouTube) that prices are softening.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought they will drop dramatically, but it might be worth intensifying your search in Sept /Oct.

In any case, if you find the right van, then six months down the line it won't matter if you have paid a few grand more than you planned :thumbsup:

I’d say it Varys slightly obvs full on camper conversions are selling for strong money to strong in most cases but as you were looking at panel vans to put your own touch on there may still be a deal to be had good luck

How do you price a 2nd hand van, is there a cheat sheet which you can use as there are so many out there it's hard to see accurately appraise what's there.

I am undecided on what would be best for us, budget will probably make the final call unfortunately. What I do know is I have expensive taste, as everything I have liked and investigated has been top £. :/

Would a van with parts you like if cheap be a good base and then remove / refit.some other bits. Again I am not sure on cost breakdown.

I like sliding beds for bringing the kids up close and safe storage behind the seats, this makes California's seem appealing as that's automatically covered, and they hold their price apparently. My wife I think likes the LWB as the fancy brand new ones we saw did seem much larger inside.

I found a van on eBay with Reimo roof and Variotech 3000 sliding bed

I know Wessex have a bad rep at least on tyre load rating but any 2nd hand van I guess that's now a risk as owners could have changed them. I don't like the kitchen units with giant tambour doors and my wife would like an integrated microwave. But just the roof and bed are big ticket items, assuming the electrics is half decent is that a sound base to have another kitchen put in?

Are many converters willing to do such work as it's a fraction of a full conversion and their kitchen is their signature really.

I would love a euro6 van as withing the proposed ulez expansion but not sure the cost of the van will outweigh the fines/fees I would get on days it goes through a zone.

Sorry for the wall if text, just starting out and trying to understand the true cost of things.

How do you price a 2nd hand van, is there a cheat sheet which you can use as there are so many out there it's hard to see accurately appraise what's there.
For anyone reading, I found a site which has costs for many parts of a conversion. This gives me some idea of the value of pre installed parts to a van

Reactions: CAB
Personally I got a lwb with less miles and DSG for cheaper and was late 2019 plate but I’ve not kept an eye on price increases since. Doesn’t scream to be too high a price but always worth looking around for more

Last edited:
Private or dealer? I'm not desperate right now. My target is to get something around March 2023. DGS will be perfect but is hard to find anything below 32k.

Is already sold.

I never see before 2.0 btdi with manual gearbox? Is that normal? I can't find spec with this engine with manual?

Is already sold.

I never see before 2.0 btdi with manual gearbox? Is that normal? I can't find spec with this engine with manual?
Yes, for a time the 204 was offered with a manual, later (not sure when) they became DSG only.

Back