Is this van worth the advertised price?

Gratz, what are your plans? Conversion?
Yep the full works!
It will be off to westdubs for the pop top, I might do the soundproofing if there's a long wait time and first fix electrics (I think I'm going with a Clayton LPS II).
Then carpeting, windows, kitchen (Evo), and off for a rib bed install.
At some point I want body coloured bumpers / spoiler.
I might also visit Pendle for some more horses, and CRS to drop it a little.

Should be busy for a few months!

I've now been looking at vans for a camper conversion for around 3 weeks and feel like I'm getting a good feel for what is out there. I've been looking at a 2019 T32 Highline (with Sportline spec) 204ps DSG (30k miles on the clock) that has almost everything we are after, but is stretching our planned initial outlay for our base van. I'm talking myself into it as I feel that getting a high spec, low mileage, 4 and half year old van now, with full VW service history, will stand us in good stead and should mean it's worth investing in the camper conversion. We plan to convert and keep for the long haul!

It is just a panel van just now, but looks immaculate and is an approved used VW dealership, which gives me a bit more reassurance than the private sale market.

Is there anything in particular that I should be wary of about this van? I notice there were a few comments elsewhere about oil issues with 2016/17 204ps DSG vans - is that something that has cropped up for newer vans?

Happy to hear good or bad stories from other 204ps owners!

Any advice or things to think of would be much appreciated!

I'd say go for it if it meets your needs and budget.
Check for oil issues; it's been a concern in older models. But newer ones may have addressed this.

Investing in a camper conversion for the long haul makes sense. Trust your instincts if everything checks out. Good luck!

Love my 204 DSG!
Always been a fan of manual boxes but the DSG is the nuts!
With it being a VW Approved bus you’ll get a standard 1 year bumper to bumper warranty but correct me if I’m wrong you can pay for an extra 2 years near the end of your 1st year if you get my drift!
Buy it….you won’t regret it!
BJ

If it ticks all your boxes- go for it. It’s backed up by a good warranty which you can extend. These vans won’t be around forever

I bought a 204 4Mo for my conversion and it’s been a fantastic base van. That 12 month warranty from Vw along with European VW Assist gives great peace of mind. I’d say go for it.

The early biturbo were a problem, the later (2016 on) were fine.

get one with a decent service history and you’ll be fine

The early biturbo were a problem, the later (2016 on) were fine.

get one with a decent service history and you’ll be fine
Just a quick note on this; The engine variant (biTurbo) with a significant issue is the CFCA 180ps version. It can suffer from EGR cooler corrosion that leads to aluminium oxide in the air path which wrecks the engine. Common thinking is that engines with 'Version D' EGR coolers are not susceptible but I am not sure that's true.
So please do your own reading, search CFCA here on the forum and there is loads of good information from members with good and bad experience of CFCA.
I have one and am very happy with the power and economy.

We have just remortgaged for a camper. We are leaning towards a van to convert and want a SWB Euro6 T6, ideally with a tailgate, 2 single front seats, AC and CC with 100k on the clock or less.

I've immediately found 1 that seems to tick all those boxes locally, so I'm obviously getting carried away with giddiness, so probably a good idea to gather external opinion...

It's a 66 plate SWB T6 Highline Kombi. Manual, 150 T32. It has twin seats, AC, CC and a tailgate just like we want and It's just hitting 99k with 1 owner and a full service history. Our budget is £20k with a vehicle to trade in if need be, but this is a private sale for bang on £20k. It's like it was made for me.

I'll do a car vertical and MOT check if I can get the VRM (blurred on photos) but anything else I should be looking for? It looks tidy.

Welcome!
Check that it is actually a euro 6 as some of the early t6's in MY66 were still euro 5 no adblue if you say you need euro 6. Easy way to tell if it takes adblue by looking under filler cap.

Sounds a good spec!

At 100k it may have had a few components replaced, potentially EGR but hopefully seller can fill you in. I would also have expected a cam belt change too. Take a code scanner such as carista (cheap and you get 1 month free subscription )with you and ask to do a scan to check for fault codes, maybe thats me being ocd but its what i would do on private sale.
Good luck, and remember the camper is only as good as the van underneath!

At the other end of the scale I have this option, a much newer and lower mile van - but it's a T28, 101ps rather than the T32 150ps above. I had a 101ps fully converted T28 for the summer and although it was obviously slower, it didn't struggle at all, and I'm not going to we walloping a camper through the corners - so absolutely happy for it to be a sedate ride.

This one is 2019 (69) plate Highline panel van rather than a Kombi, but it's got a full history and only 60k on the clock. Nice spec. including adaptive cruise control MFSW, AC, heated screen, park assist. It's up for £22k. and due and MOT and first 4 year interval service in about 2 weeks, so would like to think that would be included too.

Back