Is this van worth the advertised price?

I wouldn’t worry about the engine light it failed in 2022 because of it along with another thing but was rectified in order for it to pass and has had another one since in 2023
If you was to buy the racking in back looks a good bit of kit so you could get some decent money back for that

Hi All,

So I went to see this van today and it seemed as clean as it looks in the pictures.
It is ex lease but seems well looked after, and the servicing looks to have been done by VW. The next service is due in 4k miles.
Although I know not a lot about vehicles, after some research I had a fairly long list of things to check, and couldn't find many issues apart from the below:

Pulls to the left I've read here that this affects a lot of vans but couldn't see any definitive answer to what causes it. I'm not far from CRS so have emailed them but I'm just trying to gauge what this might cost to put right in a worst case scenario. I could perhaps swallow a few hundred but if it's a major repair I may walk away. I have asked the dealer to sort but having read the threads I'm going to assume they will be unable to. The tyre tread depths are also pretty close to the legal limit and seem to be worn more on one side, I assume as a result.

Security locks on both slider and tailgate (each with a separate key) Now maybe this is not an issue since hey, the van is more secure right? But you cannot just open the door with the handle, it must be done with the key and I'm thinking this may be a pain for wanting to get in and out while camping

The engine sounded a little "rattly" for the first minute but seemed to settle down afterwards. I have read that these engines are a bit noisy (it's the 102 5 speed).
There are also a couple of other minor things like the driver side sliding door sounds like it's scratching when opened, and the fan only works on the highest setting (I know this is an easy fix).

So again can I please ask the collective wisdom for any musings and opinions?

Locks can be removed. Took mine off. Have you got a photo of them?

Ah. Mine was different type of lock and was easy to cover the hole with the side glazing.

Still possible to remove the bolt, I’d say. A locksmith should have no probs with that.

IMG_5041.png

You need to ask yourself how much you like the van. If you want to remove that lock.. it's going to need some bodywork after

You need to ask yourself how much you like the van. If you want to remove that lock.. it's going to need some bodywork after
I'm not actually too fussed about the cosmetic aspect, perhaps I could paint it darker to blend in a bit. It was more around the usability.

I am feeling encouraged so far that nobody has said "it's got the dreaded steering issue, walk away!" :D
Pulling to the left, either poor tracking/ worn bits related to the suspension which is an easy fix at a knowable garage or been in a shunt and the subframe is bent, unlikely as I’m sure it would be obvious from its history. I had my tracking done at Bognor motors on a hunter alignment system a couple of years ago now and the wear on all the tyres is so even it’s definitely worth it. I’m sure with the locks you could disconnect them from inside the door, I’d leave the locks on the outside as it might put off any chancer looking to screw the van.

After doing some research I believe these are slam locks, and have found this description which fits perfectly:
"Van Slamlocks work by de-activating the van’s factory fitted door handle and installing an additional surface mounted lock to the van door. To open the van door, you have to turn the key which now acts in place of the door handle. On closing the door, locking takes place automatically so ensure that you do not leave your keys inside the van!"

Not sure I like the sound of the de-activating of the factory fitted handle but this definitely didn't budge....wonder if it's going to be a pain to reinstate.

To be fair looks a half decent van for the budget and the little niggles sounds nothing to major and to be expected for age and it being ex lease!
Another plus with ex lease they are generally well maintained!

it looks decent. My experience with my transporter turning 100k wasn’t the best. Despite being fully serviced and well looked after, between 100k and 104k I had to spend a lot of money to put it right. Rusty coils, worn shocks, disks and pads all round, tyres, clutch, flywheel, airbag light on with not easy resolution, (it has been on for almost one year), Egr clogged and of course dashboard lights on, Aircon leaking, sliding door not opening as they should and minor defects…
It might have been not a very lucky T5…I thought with the T6 most issue were resolved but I think they have only carried over issues from the T5 and added issues with the T6…now driving T6.1 and God knows…
However I wouldn’t buy any other van. The transporter has got the right balance between look, space, Flexibly, quality perceived and it drives the best. Not to scare you but Transporter is not cheap to look after and it is average quality.
IMHO, I would wait and save more to get something with lower mileage, not ex fleet. Fleet commercial drivers don’t give a F how they drive. I remember to red line the company van from cold in winter the first 5 minutes because the heating wasn’t working before water was at temperature. Being a working van, no time to look after it… oil light was on, I checked and it needed oil, probably 1kg. I talk to the fleet manager and he says, don’t worry in 1000 miles the van goes in for Oil inspection service… keep driving it. So in the end ex fleet car/vans get serviced when needed and repaired if necessary.
However I would buy off small business owners, where the owner himself drives the van and looks after it when driving it.

What about this one, just posted today
Half the mileage

Very nice though about £5k over my already stretched budget I'm afraid!

I've purchased the van and managed to get £1k knocked off on the basis that it needs a few bits sorting. Pretty happy with it so let's just hope it's not a dud!

Back