Insurance Companies

LV, I rang them this week to advise of lowing 30mm, new larger alloys and side bars. They charged me £39 and sent me a new policy showing the changes.

Edit: Thought I should add mine is a Cali insured for Social, Domestic & pleasure + commuting.

Thanks Algor

All very helpful and will save me spending time going through quotes only to find out 2 thirds way thorough that they can’t help me as they don’t cover this and that

I'm 35 with 9 years NC. Walked out the dealership and got VW fully comp insurance for £180! £47k van! Also very helpful and they said it will be frozen for renewal. Can't beat that.

Was told not to bother with VW insurance by the salesman but found them over 200 cheaper than go compair. Also got 5 days complimentary insurance.

Aviva just told me they are unable to insure converted vans ?. Comfort insurance told me that don’t do business use
so back to direct line my original renewal was 313 with breakdown and legal cover, my new renewal is now 488 but requires a tracker to be fitted

Just tried Brentacre, £700 and require a tracker :(

I'm 35 with 9 years NC. Walked out the dealership and got VW fully comp insurance for £180! £47k van! Also very helpful and they said it will be frozen for renewal. Can't beat that.

Was told not to bother with VW insurance by the salesman but found them over 200 cheaper than go compair. Also got 5 days complimentary insurance.

Arrow

Was that for a modified vehicle or standard

A Plan £600, Admiral £1,450. The Admiral quote was for factory kombi and before we even discussed any modifications, obviously not singing from the same hymn sheet as others :rofl:

Suspension, interior, alloys, seating, speakers
Seems that the quotes so far are reasonable till you get to the suspension question (my experience to date)

I’ve just insured with “insure2drive” on my 2017 204dsg 4motion. About £500 but the van is modded and I have points and my wife has a non fault claim. BUT the bonus was they would insure my 19 year old son for another £800 which I declined. However it meant I can insure him temporarily on it as and when I need which I did last week as we were going to pick up another car for my other son.
Weird letting my son drive off in it... but really useful as that was our hope when we bought it 3.5 years ago that the kids would be able to use it as it got older.

Hi,
Trying to insure a 65 plate T6 Highline, fully converted by Camperking, but it's had the engine remapped from 102ps to 120ps and it's got 20" alloys. I'm planning on taking it to Europe with the family for about 3 months. I've about 10 years no claimsand both drivers would be over 40.

Thanks!

Hi,
Trying to insure a 65 plate T6 Highline, fully converted by Camperking, but it's had the engine remapped from 102ps to 120ps and it's got 20" alloys. I'm planning on taking it to Europe with the family for about 3 months. I've about 10 years no claimsand both drivers would be over 40.

Thanks!
I think it’s just a case of reading through the thread then calling some of the companies to see what quotes you get then compare with others

I use caravan guard, not seen it mentioned here. 66 plate t6 highline converted by jobl, £338 including roadside assistance with 15000 miles limit, been with them for two years. I had someone hit the van and i had to claim, caravan guard are easy to deal with. very pleased.

Reactions: CAB
2016, 180PS, SWB, motor caravan on V5, full conversion, standard running gear, old fart driving with clean licence, 12 years mirrored NCB, 3 years NCB on van, quiet Devon postcode, parked on street overnight.
NFU renewal quote with 365 days European cover, legal cover, courtesy car and zero excess 391.00 (too much)
Brentacre quote with 365 days European cover, legal, courtesy car not guaranteed, 250 excess 360.00 (Markerstudy underwritten).
NFU re-worked as above but with 250.00 excess, dropped from 391.00 to 319.00.
It pays to haggle a bit.

Caravan Guard for our first year (with LV the insurer) ;

Renewal was over £100 more :eek:

Went direct to LV, increased mileage but also increased excess to £250 and came in at £130 below last year.

Edit: Caravan Wise, not Guard!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozi
So, after many online searches and calls, I’ll share my experience of insuring my first camper. For context I’m 52, wife as extra driver, and 10 years NCB to move across from car I’ve just sold. All assume Cat 5 tracker being fitted and comprehensive cover. Value £64500.

Adrian Flux - £430
Brentacre - £540
A plan - £377
Caravan Guard - £404
Caravan and Motorhome club £ 329 - but an extra £54 to join if not already a member
Just Kampers £317
Safeguard - £420
Caravanwise - £284
LV - £252

Apart from price, I discounted 3 above as cover was either not new for old in first year (it’s a brand new van and conversion) or not agreed value, but otherwise all much the same for cover and excess at around £350 total. So looks like it’s LV, who along with Caravanwise and Flux were also happy to insure whilst still in conversion. No issues either from LV with the DVLA category of “van with windows“ and thats with NCB being protected too. Pretty good deal and was worth the shopping around.

Thought I’d share the list for any other newbies looking for their first camper insurance and to reassure that you don’t have to be fleeced - which is what a few along the way tried to do!

So, after many online searches and calls, I’ll share my experience of insuring my first camper. For context I’m 52, wife as extra driver, and 10 years NCB to move across from car I’ve just sold. All assume Cat 5 tracker being fitted and comprehensive cover. Value £64500.

Adrian Flux - £430
Brentacre - £540
A plan - £377
Caravan Guard - £404
Caravan and Motorhome club £ 329 - but an extra £54 to join if not already a member
Just Kampers £317
Safeguard - £420
Caravanwise - £284
LV - £252

Apart from price, I discounted 3 above as cover was either not new for old in first year (it’s a brand new van and conversion) or not agreed value, but otherwise all much the same for cover and excess at around £350 total. So looks like it’s LV, who along with Caravanwise and Flux were also happy to insure whilst still in conversion. No issues either from LV with the DVLA category of “van with windows“ and thats with NCB being protected too. Pretty good deal and was worth the shopping around.

Thought I’d share the list for any other newbies looking for their first camper insurance and to reassure that you don’t have to be fleeced - which is what a few along the way tried to do!
Some good prices there for an agreed valuation of £64500, well done, especially as you are in London. Are you required to garage it securely overnight?

Reactions: Ozi
Yep, needs to be garaged when not in use - fortunately I have a garage large enough! I was pleasantly surprised and was expecting to pay a good bit more.

Didnt ask what the premium would have been if not garaged as always planned to lock it away when at home.

Adrian Flux - £430
Brentacre - £540
A plan - £377
Caravan Guard - £404
Just Kampers £317
Safeguard - £420
Caravanwise - £284
LV - £252

This is really helpful information. Thank you for taking the time.

I just went on line to LVE, went through the details, then got a msg saying they “don’t insure this type of car”. Will try a call.

Back