LV - campervan conversion

7ncj

I’m getting a converted T6 on Thursday and am discovering it’s much harder work than insuring a car!

Adrian Flux and Just Kampers (just read on here they’re a linked/same parent company) won’t cover it for theft without a monitored tracker professionally installed. I don’t mind look into that, but can’t get that done before it’s delivered.

I have 2 cars on a multi car policy with LV and have done an online quote to add the van too. I used the van reg then added modifications (campervan conversion, body kit, alloy wheels, additional seats) and it came back with a sensible price and no obvious major exclusions or requirements. No option to suggest a value though. Suspect it’ll say ‘market value.’

Any experience with LV anyone? I’ll try A-Plan tomorrow.

Thanks

Had similar problem wrt a tracker. Try Comfort Insurance - they had the best price for me and they give a 14-day grace period within which you need to fit the tracker. Agree though, arranging insurance on a camper is a PITA.

Try Comfort and Safeguard I used both these companies when we owned motorhomes. We had a no fault accident in France in 2014 and Safeguard were great repaired our motorhome and got us a Solicitor who fought tooth and nail successfully to get us our excess back.

John.

No experience for a camper as I’ve got a Shuttle but have a read of this:

Try Comfort and Safeguard I used both these companies when we owned motorhomes. We had a no fault accident in France in 2014 and Safeguard were great repaired our motorhome and got us a Solicitor who fought tooth and nail successfully to get us our excess back.

John.
I’m with safeguard now, had no issues with them and they are good for value.

I use LV, they are highly rated with Defacto and Which?

No other (quality) insurer comes within £1000 for my London postcode, and they’re always friendly and knowledgeable on the phone

My previous van used the Campervan Conversion option, although it only had leisure battery and captain seats when I took out the option, LV agreed that I didn’t need to update them as the build progressed. Very handy

I’m getting a converted T6 on Thursday and am discovering it’s much harder work than insuring a car!

Adrian Flux and Just Kampers (just read on here they’re a linked/same parent company) won’t cover it for theft without a monitored tracker professionally installed. I don’t mind look into that, but can’t get that done before it’s delivered.

I have 2 cars on a multi car policy with LV and have done an online quote to add the van too. I used the van reg then added modifications (campervan conversion, body kit, alloy wheels, additional seats) and it came back with a sensible price and no obvious major exclusions or requirements. No option to suggest a value though. Suspect it’ll say ‘market value.’

Any experience with LV anyone? I’ll try A-Plan tomorrow.

Thanks
I insured with LV. I have two other cars insured with them and it was very straight forward and surprisingly cheap. I think it added about 300 quid until renewal in March 24. My van is t6/t32 Caledonian Camper conversion 2018. Cost mid £40k's when bought last week.

No use for OP now, but when I insured mine with JustKampers I had 30 days to have the tracker done.

@drinfinity. That must be a value thing. I'm with Ageas thro' JK and my camper dips just under the £40K mark (with agreed value) - I recently renewed and a tracker was never mentioned in the conversation (but I have got a cheap one, self installed anyway!). The actual insurer is Ageas and the one 'incident' that I've had with the van was dealt with very efficiently, so much so that I would willingly pay a small premium just to keep them as the insurer. That said, I wish I could say the same about most of the people that I've had the misfortune to deal with a JustKampers itself - to call them braindead monkeys does the monkey community a disservice.

@drinfinity. That must be a value thing. I'm with Ageas thro' JK and my camper dips just under the £40K mark (with agreed value) - I recently renewed and a tracker was never mentioned in the conversation (but I have got a cheap one, self installed anyway!). The actual insurer is Ageas and the one 'incident' that I've had with the van was dealt with very efficiently, so much so that I would willingly pay a small premium just to keep them as the insurer. That said, I wish I could say the same about most of the people that I've had the misfortune to deal with a JustKampers itself - to call them braindead monkeys does the monkey community a disservice.
Yes, I wanted an agreed value policy which would cover for my conversion. They also helpfully transferred my no claims on the old van via a ‘dummy’ reg, since I kept the old one whilst converting the new. I must have been lucky, as my contact was efficient.

Mine were all efficient enough when I first bought the policy and at each renewal but I reckon that's because they have set scripts for those scenarios- it's when I come to ask other policy related questions that the brain power was lacking. One example was when I went to do my Agreed Value renewal on-line. It said on top of the form that I downloaded that I should go to my account and click on the 'Agreed Value Icon' - which wasn't there when I logged on. After nearly an hour on the phone when I explained it several times and she kept putting me on hold to consult others, I was told to log out, log back in and the icon would be there. I did all that with no success and went though the whole experience again without success. In the end, I did it the old(ish) fashion way by filling the form in by hand, scanning it and emailing it with all the pictures. I've had similar slightly but only less painful discussions with other reps as well.

Back