Nasty surprise. be aware.

Charlie

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Long story short I have a VW transporter T6 67 plate 206 kombi van owner from new. not had an issue insuring and prices have always been ok.

This is where it gets funky. Partly my doing but a lot on the insurance companies.

I'm about to emigrate to Australia ( well return to my mother country after 22 years here in the UK) and I'm planning on taking the T6 and my wife's 2020 XC90 with me. we were supposed to move back in July so with this in mind I made a claim against my insurance on the VAN after I hit a bollard in a Tesco carpark last november. was only minor damage but I thought hey I won't need to renew and the NCD is protected so win-win. Well not really. 6 days after I claimed on the VW a t**t side swiped the Volvo in a sports carpark and obviously did a runner.

Again I thought we were leaving so no biggie with claim that one as well. To my horror, I had for whatever reason selected a very large excess on the Volvo so I cancelled the insurance claim on the XC90 and had it repaired privately. 3 weeks later and my wife was 2 min from home and a parked merc owner opened their door as the XC90 was doing 25mph and completely stuffed the rear passenger door and back corner. Merc driver took full responsibility and I was contacted by their insurance company the next day and It was all fixed as a no-fault no claim against my policy repair. bit of shitty luck but hey no issues.

fast forward to this week......

As I said earlier our trip has been delayed until October so 2 days back the Admiral multicar policy I had needed to be renewed. The policy renewal went from £897 for both car and Van to £2100. I politely declined and found alternate cover via for the volvo and T6.

Ended up with a very competitive quote on compare the market from Sterling Insurance ( who I now know are just another broker). I listed the claim on the VW van which was my fault and away we went. next day I get a call saying please contact us to confirm some details. Firstly I get a very friendly lady who wanted to know which model the Van was as the DVLA database had a different set of letters to the Price comparison site. I said I would find the log book and call back tomorrow.

Today I get a guy who was without doubt the worst insurance customer service rep ever. Firstly we spend 10 min on the make of the van. I tell him what's on the logbook. he says it doesn't match up with the DVLA database. I say well that's the model so what do you want me to do about it??The only difference was the work Bluemotion on the DVLA site. this goes on for a while before we get to the Claim. He says to me that there is another claim on the insurance database showing which was the XC90 carpark swipe which I didn't claim against and had repaired myself privately. well, apparently that has to be listed as a claim regardless. we argue about that a little. he then comes back asking loads of ridiculous questions and unfortunately, I got a little muddled and mentioned the No fault door hit with the merc. Well now he adds that crash to the policy as well.

Surprise surprise the insurance cost went from £580 to £900 because the van model was wrong and I had 2 insurance claims that were not disclosed even thou neither were my fault and I didn't claim against any insurance,

We are now in full heated discussion mode and I tell him I want to cancel. his reply was to slap me with a £135 cancelation charge for 41 hours of cover I had used. we argued a lot more and in the end, I had to hang up after saying don't cancel and I wanted to speak to a manager which he wouldn't do....

Turns out he did cancel it leaving me £135 out of pocket and with no insurance.

needless to say, Sterling Insurance gets a big F-you from me. I will be leaving multiple no star reviews asap.

Long story short I have a VW transporter T6 67 plate 206 kombi van owner from new. not had an issue insuring and prices have always been ok.

This is where it gets funky. Partly my doing but a lot on the insurance companies.

I'm about to emigrate to Australia ( well return to my mother country after 22 years here in the UK) and I'm planning on taking the T6 and my wife's 2020 XC90 with me. we were supposed to move back in July so with this in mind I made a claim against my insurance on the VAN after I hit a bollard in a Tesco carpark last november. was only minor damage but I thought hey I won't need to renew and the NCD is protected so win-win. Well not really. 6 days after I claimed on the VW a t*** side swiped the Volvo in a sports carpark and obviously did a runner.

Again I thought we were leaving so no biggie with claim that one as well. To my horror, I had for whatever reason selected a very large excess on the Volvo so I cancelled the insurance claim on the XC90 and had it repaired privately. 3 weeks later and my wife was 2 min from home and a parked merc owner opened their door as the XC90 was doing 25mph and completely stuffed the rear passenger door and back corner. Merc driver took full responsibility and I was contacted by their insurance company the next day and It was all fixed as a no-fault no claim against my policy repair. bit of shitty luck but hey no issues.

fast forward to this week......

As I said earlier our trip has been delayed until October so 2 days back the Admiral multicar policy I had needed to be renewed. The policy renewal went from £897 for both car and Van to £2100. I politely declined and found alternate cover via for the volvo and T6.

Ended up with a very competitive quote on compare the market from Sterling Insurance ( who I now know are just another broker). I listed the claim on the VW van which was my fault and away we went. next day I get a call saying please contact us to confirm some details. Firstly I get a very friendly lady who wanted to know which model the Van was as the DVLA database had a different set of letters to the Price comparison site. I said I would find the log book and call back tomorrow.

Today I get a guy who was without doubt the worst insurance customer service rep ever. Firstly we spend 10 min on the make of the van. I tell him what's on the logbook. he says it doesn't match up with the DVLA database. I say well that's the model so what do you want me to do about it??The only difference was the work Bluemotion on the DVLA site. this goes on for a while before we get to the Claim. He says to me that there is another claim on the insurance database showing which was the XC90 carpark swipe which I didn't claim against and had repaired myself privately. well, apparently that has to be listed as a claim regardless. we argue about that a little. he then comes back asking loads of ridiculous questions and unfortunately, I got a little muddled and mentioned the No fault door hit with the merc. Well now he adds that crash to the policy as well.

Surprise surprise the insurance cost went from £580 to £900 because the van model was wrong and I had 2 insurance claims that were not disclosed even thou neither were my fault and I didn't claim against any insurance,

We are now in full heated discussion mode and I tell him I want to cancel. his reply was to slap me with a £135 cancelation charge for 41 hours of cover I had used. we argued a lot more and in the end, I had to hang up after saying don't cancel and I wanted to speak to a manager which he wouldn't do....

Turns out he did cancel it leaving me £135 out of pocket and with no insurance.

needless to say, Sterling Insurance gets a big F-you from me. I will be leaving multiple no star reviews asap.
Which bit are you surprised about?
As for moving back to Oz and sod the NCB, the insurance companies never lose they’ll just load the rest of us up at the next premium renewal.

As you say nasty but when it comes to insurance, its certainly no surprise.

My mate works for an insurance company. He told me never believe in the NCD. Every year they put your insurance up and the ones that don’t swap pay a premium. They never lose money on your annual fee. If it comes in higher then he’s advice is just swap to another company. The new insurance company don’t care how many years of no claims you have because all they want is your money. They are always on a winner.

Which bit are you surprised about?
As for moving back to Oz and sod the NCB, the insurance companies never lose they’ll just load the rest of us up at the next premium renewal.
that non-claims and no-fault accidents are used as an excuse to push up the premium.

Obviously, legitimate claims will have an effect but this whole process with Sterling just seemed like a scam. get you to buy at a low price and then use dodgy tactics to drive up the premium. the incorrect listing of the model on the DVLA website also affected the policy cost apparently even though it's never been an issue before.

As you say nasty but when it comes to insurance, its certainly no surprise.
It was a surprise just how unprofessional the sterling rep was. his refusal to get a manager or supervisor spoke volumes to his work on the day.

well that's not exactly true. I pay to protect the NCB so yes I made a claim but that's what Insurance is for.

that non-claims and no-fault accidents are used as an excuse to push up the premium.

Obviously, legitimate claims will have an effect but this whole process with Sterling just seemed like a scam. get you to buy at a low price and then use dodgy tactics to drive up the premium. the incorrect listing of the model on the DVLA website also affected the policy cost apparently even though it's never been an issue before.
They base the premium on risk not how much you cost them.

They base the premium on risk not how much you cost them.
Yep. No accidents for 22 years with over 200k miles driven. Then a small bollard bang and 2 accidents which were not my doing and the premium rockets.

@Charlie, I sympathise with you regarding your run of bad luck - that's a real bummer- and I think the second agent probably needs some customer-care training, but before you start posting negative reviews, you need to consider that the situation arose as a direct result of you failing to disclose relevant claims information.

Below is a screen-grab of the claims prompt (and associated help text) from comparethemarket.com.

1661464390839.png

Reactions: JOG
3 prangs in a matter of weeks - that is bound to alter the risk assessment! It’s just a numbers game

Reactions: Bav
3 prangs in a matter of weeks - that is bound to alter the risk assessment! It’s just a numbers game
Afraid so. Yes, they were non-fault, but as an insurer, would you charge someone with lots of non-fault claims less or more than someone with no claims at all?

None of the above!

If I were an insurer, I would charge based on the risk assessed: whether a claim is made or not doesn’t detract from 3 prangs in a short space of time!
:confused: I think we're in agreement - the person with 3 non-fault incidents (whether a claim arose for any, all or none) represents a higher risk than the person with no incidents.

Reactions: JOG
l hope he's having better luck down under. l for one am jealous, l would love to move to Australia
I am indeed. 20230625_074718.jpg20230625_074741.jpg
The transport of said van and car to Aus was a bit of a balls ache but all up she's now living the beach life as VW's dream to do.
Interesting few facts I've found since arrival.

Insurance here is still based solely on the actual vehicle and not so much about the driver. I needed to add my UK based holidaying brother in law to the Van insurance last month. Rang up to add him and pay the fee and they were like ' if he has a valid licence he can drive it'. No listing of names or extra fee etc.

Service specific intervals are completely different out here. The van was soon due its belt service via UK directions. Took it to a VW van centre here and they crunched the numbers and its still 20000 miles from its belt change according to the schedule here.

I may get it done anyway but it appears the European countries can be a lot more demanding on service items times and distances. I looked at their computer at the VW centre and its in black and white. Belts to be done at 120k and not dependent on age.

Black is indeed a hot colour in a hot country. You could cook a cat in it most days.

I get a lot of ' I like your van' comments here. Not so many of the higher end kombis around.

Back