Insurance Companies

Hi all, just been sifting through this thread as mine is up next week

Aviva has been mine for numerous years, just gone from £325 to £464 (albeit an Amarok for last 12 months) Just did a One Call quote and running in at £277, are these guys a reputable company as seems a very cheap price

The other thing is that I have sourced a Kombi now so insure would change back to Kombi in March. I remember last year when changing from Kombi to Amarok the price difference was pence so expecting similar this time round

Hi all, just been sifting through this thread as mine is up next week

Aviva has been mine for numerous years, just gone from £325 to £464 (albeit an Amarok for last 12 months) Just did a One Call quote and running in at £277, are these guys a reputable company as seems a very cheap price

The other thing is that I have sourced a Kombi now so insure would change back to Kombi in March. I remember last year when changing from Kombi to Amarok the price difference was pence so expecting similar this time round
I'm with "One Call", I read a lot of reviews which seemed fairly positive but I guess you only find out if they're any good when the worst happens.

Thanks Dave, yes guess thats true with most companies you just never know

There voluntary is £200 and compulsory £500 which sounds a little steep

Just tried looking for a number to call and speak to One Call however it just seems like live chat only, not sure if this is a good or bad sign :(

Last edited:
Aviva just told me they are unable to insure converted vans ?. Comfort insurance told me that don’t do business use
so back to direct line my original renewal was 313 with breakdown and legal cover, my new renewal is now 488 but requires a tracker to be fitted

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CAB
Aviva just told me they are unable to insure converted vans ?. Comfort insurance told me that don’t do business use
so back to direct line my original renewal was 313 with breakdown and legal cover, my new renewal is now 488 but requires a tracker to be fitted
Try A-Plan...very good. :cool:

Hello everyone. Probably been asked before but my insurers require a thatcham 1 alarm system to be fitted for any theft claim. I have a trendline with “ safelock” feature. Handbook states this is only fitted to vehicles with alarms. Thus it must have an alarm of sorts ? My vehicle has no internal detection sensors and no isolating button on b pillar. Is this Cat 1 or 2? Looking at Thatcham website it appears all transporters ( with exception of the caravelle) are “ L2”. Looking at similar postings on this forum most highline owners ( with internal sensors) appear to consider they are Cat 1 but thatcham site doesn’t appear to make this clear. Any ideas before I part with £300 to go L2 to L1? If I ring ins co. to check there is strong chance they will cancel cover if they are not happy it is L1 so seeking suggestions first.

As far as I’m aware Startline and Trendline are Thatcham 2, Highline and Sportline are Thatcham 1. However it seems there are options when spec’ the van.
If in doubt VW Customer Services should know.

846C3FF9-06CA-4861-B9C9-904348C9B833.png

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you could give me some advice? I’ve just bought a vw conversion van and I am really struggling to get insurance quotes online and then when I am they’re ridiculous prices £1500+

I’ve bought my van through all seasons leisure who have said to use safeguard but they will not give me a quote online, is this normal? I am 28 and have 5 years no claims, and have been driving for 10 years...

I don’t pick the van up until the 15th because it is being painted and finished. I’ve used brentacre for previous insurances in the past because they always come in so much cheaper, but I’m waiting on them getting back to me.
I am going to use my van as my normal day to day vehicle and I’m starting to worry that I may not get insured without having to remortgage my house! Any advice you have would be great, thanks in advance!

Hey, we are looking to buy a newly converted van from All Seasons Leisure in the next couple months but are worried about insurance prices, did you manage to get a decent price from the company they reccomened?? Myself and my partner are 22 and 24 both been driving for 5/6 years with no claims, so naturally our insurance would be a little higher but we just wanted to check ball park figures before we dive straight in!

Thanks in advance!

Hi
I'm 56 and driving since 1983 always a car however bought a T6 campervan just over 12 months ago so here is my experience with insurance.
Had a 66 plate VW polo GTI paying £240 insurance.
Part exchange it for a 67 trendline 102 bhp fully converted camper.
Lost my car no claims as first year insuring campervan.£782 cost of first year with 10k mileage as it is my daily driver.
Renewal to this month £632 1 year no claims and all othe details the same.

Used Advance insurance best value quotes for me.

Good luck with your insurance and enjoy your camper we love ours.

Hi
I'm 56 and driving since 1983 always a car however bought a T6 campervan just over 12 months ago so here is my experience with insurance.
Lost my car no claims as first year insuring campervan.£782 cost of first year with 10k mileage as it is my daily driver.

Seems odd you lost you no claims just because you’ve moved to a camper/van? Surely its your driving history that matters more and makes you more/less likely to incur a claim.

After all you wouldn’t lose it it you moved from a mini to a rangerover. They just adjust the premium to reflect value and repair costs when you change cars.

Anyone else had this experience?

Seems odd you lost you no claims just because you’ve moved to a camper/van? Surely its your driving history that matters more and makes you more/less likely to incur a claim.

After all you wouldn’t lose it it you moved from a mini to a rangerover. They just adjust the premium to reflect value and repair costs when you change cars.

Anyone else had this experience?
I trusted them with what they were saying even this month I had a quote of £1800.

My insurance is due next month so I thought I have a ring around.
Just me and wife to drive with an 8000 mile limit and occasional use abroad for when we can all travel again. Both 50+ and clean licences and no claims. Quotes include foreign use and protected NCB with 13+ years bonus.
My van is a partially converted 2017 Kombi and recently lowered by 50mm on KW STX. I also informed them that I intend to change to 19inch alloys.
Currently with Aviva - renewal quote without suspension and alloy changes was £245. With suspension and alloys £355. I did check that the alloys added no cost but the suspension was an additional £110.
Adrian Flux £377 including mods
Brentacre £395 including mods
Safeguard cannot insure as interior conversion done by myself.
APlan (Thatcham) £366

Interesting that most said the mods don’t affect the price but overall they are all in the same ballpark.

I also enquired about breakdown cover including European use as my van is just out of warranty and VW assist. APlan (Thatcham) came with the most comprehensive cover and lowest price at £44.95 per annum if taken at the same time as the insurance policy.

I’m going to check out stand-alone breakdown cover but my instinct is leading me to APlan as offering the best overall value.
I have been with AFlux and they have been good with a discount as I have a modified Landie with them as well - so alledgely get 10% off!!!

Hi all, just after some advice. I've just sold my Amarok and called the insurance company to freeze my cover till I get my Kombi 1st March which they've already gave me a quote for, however mentioning I am going to modify the vehicle we went through various mods considered and when it came to suspension she said their underwriters wouldn't consider anything lowered (ok to remain at same height but just not lowered)

Can anyone suggest a company that will offer this modification and I'm also assuming that adding suspension mod to a T32 along with 18" or 20" wheels will alter the height or can it be kept at the same factory height without looking odd

Thanks guys, will call them Monday. I did try the Brentacre website but couldn’t get past the vehicle selection process numerous times

Hi

I think you have been well and truly done mate. I really don't understand how you can possibly lose your no claims because of a vehicle change. I would drop an email to these guys mate, nothing ventured, nothing gained Insurance

Hi all, just after some advice. I've just sold my Amarok and called the insurance company to freeze my cover till I get my Kombi 1st March which they've already gave me a quote for, however mentioning I am going to modify the vehicle we went through various mods considered and when it came to suspension she said their underwriters wouldn't consider anything lowered (ok to remain at same height but just not lowered)

Can anyone suggest a company that will offer this modification and I'm also assuming that adding suspension mod to a T32 along with 18" or 20" wheels will alter the height or can it be kept at the same factory height without looking odd
LV, I rang them this week to advise of lowing 30mm, new larger alloys and side bars. They charged me £39 and sent me a new policy showing the changes.

Edit: Thought I should add mine is a Cali insured for Social, Domestic & pleasure + commuting.

Back