Insurance Companies

I was with admiral til last month and moved to LV for the new van, simply down to cost and levels of cover. Found LV better value for money and new for old cover in first year.

i have gone off Admiral auto renew £520 i suppose it's my bad i didt ring round and i had missed the renewal notice

Had a quote of Brentacre and JustKampers, in my experience Brentacre were more helpful and considerably cheaper £395 as opposed to £550

Hi folks. First post here. I've just bought a brand new Hillside Birchover SWB 110 TDi campervan which I collect from Hillside in Derby week after next. I've been gleaning lots of great advice on the forum but just had a question about insurance. I already have an insurance policy with LV on a car which I'm about to sell. I'd just renewed that policy at the start of this month for £235 for the year so called LV to get a price from them to change the vehicle on that policy over to the new campervan. The nice lady went through all the details and I was quite clear it is a brand new campervan conversion of a Transporter, and she reiterated back to me it was a campervan. They gave me a price to change of about £19, including a £15 admin fee, so next to sod all. This is cheaper than other quotes I've had from Just Kampers and Comfort. However LV emailed me the quote and it states it is for a Transporter T28 110, with no mention of it being a campervan. They also did not question the vehicle value. I see some other recommendations for LV. Would you want the policy docs to state it is a campervan? Interestingly, Hillside told me my V5 will state this is a Motor Caravan and not a Van, which I guess is because they actually register the vehicles themselves after the completion of the conversion. Thanks

I would get it in writing from them that they are covering a campervan. Does the quote state a value for the vehicle ?

Pete

There is no mention of vehicle value on the LV quote, and they dont ask a value when going through details for the quote. I agree, I would want the quote to state somewhere in writing that it is a campervan conversion. I'll call them back and query this.

Hi folks. First post here. I've just bought a brand new Hillside Birchover SWB 110 TDi campervan which I collect from Hillside in Derby week after next. I've been gleaning lots of great advice on the forum but just had a question about insurance. I already have an insurance policy with LV on a car which I'm about to sell. I'd just renewed that policy at the start of this month for £235 for the year so called LV to get a price from them to change the vehicle on that policy over to the new campervan. The nice lady went through all the details and I was quite clear it is a brand new campervan conversion of a Transporter, and she reiterated back to me it was a campervan. They gave me a price to change of about £19, including a £15 admin fee, so next to sod all. This is cheaper than other quotes I've had from Just Kampers and Comfort. However LV emailed me the quote and it states it is for a Transporter T28 110, with no mention of it being a campervan. They also did not question the vehicle value. I see some other recommendations for LV. Would you want the policy docs to state it is a campervan? Interestingly, Hillside told me my V5 will state this is a Motor Caravan and not a Van, which I guess is because they actually register the vehicles themselves after the completion of the conversion. Thanks
You'll be lucky to get Motor Caravan on the V5. There's a long thread here, I'll stick a link on in a bit.

Interesting that Hillside said that to you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edit:

You'll be lucky to get Motor Caravan on the V5. There's a long thread here, I'll stick a link on in a bit.

Interesting that Hillside said that to you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edit:
if Hillside are one of the converters who register it as new with DVLA after conversion, they can get motorcaravan on the V5. But don’t think there are many who do this.

The other option apparently (according to my converters) is to get “small batch” testing completed which DVLA then recognise to enable registering as a motor caravan. But sounds like that’s expensive and a pain in the arse, which is probably why most converters don’t bother.

Reactions: CAB
OK I called LV to make sure their quote was for a campervan conversion, and not just the base Transporter, and they amended it. It also bumped the price up by about £20 but still the best price I have at about £260 for the year and my quote clearly states its is a campervan conversion so looks like I'll stay with them.

if Hillside are one of the converters who register it as new with DVLA after conversion, they can get motorcaravan on the V5. But don’t think there are many who do this.

The other option apparently (according to my converters) is to get “small batch” testing completed which DVLA then recognise to enable registering as a motor caravan. But sounds like that’s expensive and a pain in the arse, which is probably why most converters don’t bother.
I have it in writing from Hillside that the V5 will list it as a Motor Caravan. They register the vans themselves after completing the conversions, the week before the first owner collects their new campervan. The other conversion companies I looked at bought pre-registered vans from dealers, so they are first registered as panel vans or whatever.

Old git here 56yrs..max no claims..no claims or fines.

Did the usual ring round the previously mentioned ins companies today . Mine originally a SWB trend line with thatcham 2 alarm only so was expecting grief as no thatcham 1 i.e. just immobiliser on fob.

Went with A plan as no charges for unlimited ongoing mods / 3rd party on other cars not owned etc / £250 excess, £90 any glass window cover free repair. No issue with lowering /wheel sizes / spoilers etc. just requirement to let them know. £360 inc legal / courtesy car. Not the cheapest but actually seemed to know what a camper in conversion was. What lowered suspension was, what a RIB bed was and so on.

Brentacre 2nd closest like for like at £395 also free ongoing mods.

Anyway when A plan asked how I heard about them I mentioned saw it on this forum. Apparent a 10% discount applied..

JFYI of anyone interested

I like where I live. 18th century almshouse in Blackfriars, Central London. The plaque on the outside says they were bequeathed for “Poor Decayed Old Men” but the insurance company doesn’t take this into account and charges me over three times what appear to be the average quotes on this thread. So I’ve come to a little financial arrangement with my son. I get to various corners of the UK mainly wild camping throughout the year and in-between he borrows the van with the family and is now enjoying the new world of camping. Figuring out awnings, leisure battery rationing and porta potti maintenance. :think smile bounce:

Just went through Flux Direct. Fair bit of hassle as I've been living abroad for some years now and my missis only has an EU drivers license, but all in all they were very good. Went out to a few brokers and came back with the best offer yet... in a couple of days of searching and ringing around. Very much a tailored package so would definitely recommend.

Looks like I'll have to dream of some of these prices! Aplan (not Thatcham branch which I've only just read above can make a difference) £1200 with £750 excess!

Brentacre come in at £700.

BL postcode on a new T6.1 Panel Van converted into a kombi from Van Haven. Both have asked for a tracker too due to the value over 50k

40 year old, 10 years no claims, 7000 mile a year, clean licence!

• Wow
Looks like I'll have to dream of some of these prices! Aplan (not Thatcham branch which I've only just read above can make a difference) £1200 with £750 excess!

Brentacre come in at £700.

BL postcode on a new T6.1 Panel Van converted into a kombi from Van Haven. Both have asked for a tracker too due to the value over 50k

40 year old, 10 years no claims, 7000 mile a year, clean licence!
Did you try LV? Normally very competitive

Back