Insurance Companies

Just been going through all of this. Definitely worth shopping around and sharing the cheapest quotes with the other companies and seeing if they will match.
For my new T6.1 currently under conversion (will be kept on street sadly)
Worth noting that A-Plan and Brentacre who both use Markerstudy as the insurers only allow full cover over 30 days in Europe, whereas Justkampers and Adrian Flux use Ageas which allow 90 days fill cover.

As far as I was concerned, they all wanted a tracker fitter - probably because of my on-street parking and the van being valued at around 50k.

Justkampers get terrible online reviews. Adrian Flux get great reviews and were a lot more friendly to deal with, so I'm planning on going with them. As

A-Plan - Trustpilot – 4.8 stars
£690
30-day European cover then minimum cover in EU
£500 excess
Insured with Markerstudy

Brentacre - Trustpilot – 3.4 stars
£690
Said they couldn’t send forms – but cover (Markerstudy) the same as A-Plan

Justkampers - Trustpilot – 2.1 stars
£560
90-day European insurance.
Insured through Ageas
£500 excess

Adrian Flux - Trustpilot - 4.5 stars
£750 - but then reduced to £600.
£450 excess.
Ageas and 90 day European cover.

Try 'LV'

CaravanGuard were the best I found. Low voluntary and having only got 2 years NCB it came in just over £480 on a £48k van also used for commuting.

Insured with NFU since bought Highline Kombi December 2016.

Just renewed, 10K miles/year market value not to exceed £27K, rural location.

Annual premium £553, excess £250, 9 years NCD (60%).

A reduction of £6 on last year's premium.

No service charge to change any details.

I'm happy with that but did change from them for car insurance which was uncompetitive.

Thanks for this guys! Really helped out. Not sure what other gas engineers and sparks are getting for theirs but i got mine from Aviva:
£1,004
T6.1 150 DSG Panel Van.
10k Mileage
£150 excess
9 years NCD

I was with Aplan for several years. I had no problems with them......but then again, they had no problems with me! Anyhow, switched to Aviva this time around. £350 including recovery. (56 year old male.......150 kombi.....12000 miles a year..........including business use and I get to drive other vehicles on a third party basis). They had no problems with my mods but I suspect they wouldn't take kindly to remaps etc.......something I intend to do when the extended warranty expires.

Insured with NFU since bought Highline Kombi December 2016.

Just renewed, 10K miles/year market value not to exceed £27K, rural location.

Annual premium £553, excess £250, 9 years NCD (60%).

A reduction of £6 on last year's premium.

No service charge to change any details.

I'm happy with that but did change from them for car insurance which was uncompetitive.
I'm paying half that with "One call" insurance, in same circumstances, but as others have said, it's only when you phone the claim line you find out how good they are.

Mine is with Adrian Flux, with agreed value. Around £650 for the year, 18 plate LWB camper.

If you fit the profile - old fogey , campervan, low mileage big NCD then I have never managed to get a quote to beat SAGA.
the other advantage is they include unlimited days in Europe, most other companies only do 30days or so.
as I say it’s a niche provider but works for us.

If you fit the profile - old fogey , campervan, low mileage big NCD then I have never managed to get a quote to beat SAGA.
the other advantage is they include unlimited days in Europe, most other companies only do 30days or so.
Do Saga offer agreed valuation on their policies?

Do Saga offer agreed valuation on their policies?
Well......after you asked I thought I had better read the policy and all I could find is the paragraph I copy below.
The actual policy doesn’t ask or even state a valuation or even a make/model so I am guessing it only works for a fully manufactured end product not a self build but I never thought to ask (mine is a Bilbo’s so a finished product).

“Two year ‘new for old’ – if your vehicle is written off, you’ve owned it from new and it’s up to a year old, we’ll replace it with a new one.”

Well......after you asked I thought I had better read the policy and all I could find is the paragraph I copy below.
The actual policy doesn’t ask or even state a valuation or even a make/model so I am guessing it only works for a fully manufactured end product not a self build but I never thought to ask (mine is a Bilbo’s so a finished product).

“Two year ‘new for old’ – if your vehicle is written off, you’ve owned it from new and it’s up to a year old, we’ll replace it with a new one.”
Ok thanks, sounds fine for a nearly new camper , ill give them a try.

Ok thanks, sounds fine for a nearly new camper , ill give them a try.
The other people you can try if it’s a named manufacturer is Comfort but I always found them a bit expensive. They can also tell you if your manufacturer is on the ‘list’ of approved names

I tried Saga today. They told me they don’t insure vans. Mine is a T30 Kombi rather than a California and registered with DVLA as such. I guess they may be OK if the V5 shows camper van but sadly i don’t fit that criteria.

I tried Saga today. They told me they don’t insure vans. Mine is a T30 Kombi rather than a California and registered with DVLA as such. I guess they may be OK if the V5 shows camper van but sadly i don’t fit that criteria.
Oh that’s a pain and I think there are several other threads on the V5 description and how to get it changed. Fortunately my V5 says motorcaravan.

If you're going abroad I'd be wary with Brentacre! They have a good policy but try and get a green card out of them! They want the exact dates you are travelling so ad hoc ski trips for me are now an issue: I can't just up and go anymore!

My other insurance companies just gave me a green card to the end of my policy with the 30 days abroad proviso as in the T&Cs covering the restrictions.

Safeguard will 100% be my go to company when I buy the van from the company cos they don't insure company vehicles. I've used them for about 10 years with my previous MoHos and they were excellent.

My insurance is due next month so I thought I have a ring around.
Just me and wife to drive with an 8000 mile limit and occasional use abroad for when we can all travel again. Both 50+ and clean licences and no claims. Quotes include foreign use and protected NCB with 13+ years bonus.
My van is a partially converted 2017 Kombi and recently lowered by 50mm on KW STX. I also informed them that I intend to change to 19inch alloys.
Currently with Aviva - renewal quote without suspension and alloy changes was £245. With suspension and alloys £355. I did check that the alloys added no cost but the suspension was an additional £110.
Adrian Flux £377 including mods
Brentacre £395 including mods
Safeguard cannot insure as interior conversion done by myself.
APlan (Thatcham) £366

Interesting that most said the mods don’t affect the price but overall they are all in the same ballpark.

I also enquired about breakdown cover including European use as my van is just out of warranty and VW assist. APlan (Thatcham) came with the most comprehensive cover and lowest price at £44.95 per annum if taken at the same time as the insurance policy.

I’m going to check out stand-alone breakdown cover but my instinct is leading me to APlan as offering the best overall value.

Last edited:
Hi folks. This is my first post after lurking for a while, and if all things go to plan tomorrow, I will be joining Team Reflex Silver as a first-time bus owner.

I've used the valuable information within this thread to shop around (and I still am to be fair) to see what is available. What is clear to me is that as a car owner with over 20yrs of No Claim Bonuses (NCB's), they don't really account to much because owning a van means you almost start from scratch and don't translate as something you can carry over. I have had some great contact with A-Plan, but it's been really interesting to see how the policies change massively if you tell the brokers that you DO intend to modify the van, compared to purchasing a standard policy with no mods...

Anyway - i'm just very grateful to have this forum at my fingertips.

Reactions: CAB
Hi folks. This is my first post after lurking for a while, and if all things go to plan tomorrow, I will be joining Team Reflex Silver as a first-time bus owner.

I've used the valuable information within this thread to shop around (and I still am to be fair) to see what is available. What is clear to me is that as a car owner with over 20yrs of No Claim Bonuses (NCB's), they don't really account to much because owning a van means you almost start from scratch and don't translate as something you can carry over. I have had some great contact with A-Plan, but it's been really interesting to see how the policies change massively if you tell the brokers that you DO intend to modify the van, compared to purchasing a standard policy with no mods...

Many companies will mirror the cars NCB on the van insurance.
I would be wary of any insurance company that doesn’t want to know about modifications. Nearly all of the dealings are with brokers, if you are moved swiftly on to the 16 digit card details without ensuring you have the insurance you need I‘d look elsewhere. I found a few of these companies.

Welcome to the forum @Dan Morritz, I have my car (in wife's name), and work van with Aviva and when I got my T6 added that to the multi car policy, however once it was converted Aviva wouldn't insure it directly, but through a broker it would be underwritten by Aviva, but they were expensive, required a tracker and weren't too interested in agreed valuation. Tried Saga and they would only insure if it came from the factory as a camper.
Flux gave me a reasonable quote but for AV of 52k required a tracker and they just didn't fill me with confidence really, although I have my classic car insured with them which was very reassuring...weired! just depends who you get on the end of the phone sometimes...
So went with A-plan who I really rate, mirrored NCB, agreed valuation confirmed within 5 minutes, no tracker but will get one fitted in due course and were really helpful all told.
Bit of a minefield and you only ever really find out if the insurer is any good if the dreaded happens.
Good luck!

Back