Insurance Companies

We're looking to have an Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser and ScorpionTrack S5 fitted to our conversion. Are these good options to go for, or has anyone had any experience of other similiar products which have successfully brought their insurance quotes down?
Ghost is highly regarded by many on this forum as a very effective immobiliser (read here), but isn't Thatcham rated so not usually recognised by insurers for discount purposes. For trackers, it's usually the case that having an appropriately-rated(**) one installed is a pre-requisite of cover, rather than installing one to attract a discount.

(**) Your insurer will specify a minimum Thatcham rating - usually either Cat S7, Cat S5 or, occasionally, Cat S5+.

Last edited:
Does anyone successfully have any younger drivers on their policy for their camper and if so who with please? Would love to insure our two sons but sounds like most want them to be over 25. They drive their own cars and have their own no claims.

Just got insurance with Aviva, under the Motorhome and Camper brand called Comfort. the quote was over £50 cheaper than Safeguard if you took the roadside recovery and over £100 cheaper without. (Safeguard have it built in - optional with Aviva).

Put our kids on for £35 each but they are over 25.
it’s cheaper to ring than do it online.

i changed from Safeguard because for every little change they milked me and then charged £25 admin fee on top.

Next I tried LV as our multicar insurance policy is with them. Quote was £280 but the detail of exactly what they cover in terms of conversion fixtures and fittings was lacking, they couldn’t confirm that in writing. Also I had a nagging doubt as they insisted that the van would be stated as petrol/manual on the policy even though it’s a diesel/auto. Quite a difference in value! Apparently it wouldn’t be an issue in the event of a claim but they didn‘t confirm that in writing either so it’s not a risk I’d like to take. LV are good for car insurance in my experience and while the quote was clearly good for the campervan, I was left with too many niggling concerns that they didn’t quite get it. They also didn’t record the value of the van, just said “market value”.
Had the same experience, was the cheapest quote and they'd let us put our 21 year old from time to time - but nowhere on the quote was the value of the van and despite telling my husband it would be "like for like" and if anything happened we'd be able to get the exact same bits (interior choices, bodykit etc) back, when I called again we were told it would be "market value" and they'd look at other vans at the time and not in fact like for like due to the van being registered by the convertors so us technically being the second owner even though it's brand new/delivery mileage.

Had a good experience with Safe Guard on the phone, and also rang A-Plan, Just Kampers, Comfort and Greenlight. I tried Admiral who we’ve always used, sounded good and lots of phone calls and provided the spec but in the end they wouldn’t because we’ve got ST-X coilovers and they said we could potentially drop it lower than their allowed 5cm.

Overall we went with Brentacre, the value is on the insurance and we have forms to fill in to show all the modifications we have had done. They seemed to really know their stuff and we feel a lot more confident that should anything happen they know exactly what the details of the conversion and modifications are we would get that back. Also free to add mods to the cover if we make any changes.

No coverage for our kids under 25 unfortunately, we would love for them to be able to enjoy the van too but after days of calling around, we found it just isn't possible for a few more years.

Last edited:
Evening,

So a short question about insurance. Does anyone or can anyone recommend the best companies to use if you will be in Europe for 365 days of the policy.

I have received an astronomical quote from Adrian Flux ( is was also very restrictive in terms of countries I would be insured in)

I will try Comfort and Safeguard as they seem to cover 365 days.

Thanks

Dan

Brentacre t
Evening,

So a short question about insurance. Does anyone or can anyone recommend the best companies to use if you will be in Europe for 365 days of the policy.

I have received an astronomical quote from Adrian Flux ( is was also very restrictive in terms of countries I would be insured in)

I will try Comfort and Safeguard as they seem to cover 365 days.

Thanks

Dan
Brentacre told us because it’s a camper, rather than the standard 90 or whatever days for EU, it would be 365 days.

Brentacre t

Brentacre told us because it’s a camper, rather than the standard 90 or whatever days for EU, it would be 365 days.
I thought there was a limit of 90 days when visiting the Schengen area?

Just got my renewal from Brentacre, £390!! same premium as last year (£325) but £65 'Administration Fee'.

Anyone in West Midlands area (we are solihull) to benchmark my quotes? So far A-Plan are top with 530.. 2 drivers pushing 50 both with no claims or convictions.. full no claims. It didn't sound too bad as current car is about the same and worth less. Safeguard were about 660 (with the breakdown). Looks like its also worth trying Brentacre and safeguard as well from what I've read above? I don't like the idea of LV not having a definitive value so will probably avoid that one.

I thought there was a limit of 90 days when visiting the Schengen area?
It’s 90 days in 180, so theoretically you can do 180 in a year. However, if you have a residency permit/dual nationality/ Irish/etc. then the limits don’t apply. It’s only for us mere “3rd country” nationals.

Reactions: Bav
Anyone in West Midlands area (we are solihull) to benchmark my quotes? So far A-Plan are top with 530.. 2 drivers pushing 50 both with no claims or convictions.. full no claims. It didn't sound too bad as current car is about the same and worth less. Safeguard were about 660 (with the breakdown). Looks like its also worth trying Brentacre and safeguard as well from what I've read above? I don't like the idea of LV not having a definitive value so will probably avoid that one.
A plan quote is steep …strange

A plan quote is steep …strange
Are you in the same area? I expect its postcode but I'll try a couple more. Car crime is high in and around Birmingham, I think 3rd in country. I haven't had insurance under 500 for a while despite perfect record.. Amusingly the last time it was we had a Golf R and insurance was 250 quid and after 4 attempts to steal it we gave it up!! Those were not successful so doesn't impact current quotes, but gives you an idea of how things have gone up in this area due to scrotes who won't work for their toys

...after 4 attempts to steal it we gave it up!! Those were not successful so doesn't impact current quotes...
They only won't be impacting your current quotes if you didn't report them, otherwise the will be being taken into account (usually for 5 years after) even if they didn't result in a loss.

Had my renewal from LV. It's done down from £275 last year to £243. I'm not even going to bother shopping around at that price.

They only won't be impacting your current quotes if you didn't report them, otherwise the will be being taken into account (usually for 5 years after) even if they didn't result in a loss.
They weren’t reported as they weren’t successful. They were attempts to break into the house to steal keys (We don’t know for sure of course but it started and ended with the golf!), so impact was on home insurance not car.

Reactions: Bav
Had my renewal from LV. It's done down from £275 last year to £243. I'm not even going to bother shopping around at that price.
That does sound cheap. Where are you based? Did you have the same issue others reported of them no documented value for the van? Do they provide like for like replacement on internal mods in event of a loss?

Are you in the same area? I expect its postcode but I'll try a couple more. Car crime is high in and around Birmingham, I think 3rd in country. I haven't had insurance under 500 for a while despite perfect record.. Amusingly the last time it was we had a Golf R and insurance was 250 quid and after 4 attempts to steal it we gave it up!! Those were not successful so doesn't impact current quotes, but gives you an idea of how things have gone up in this area due to scrotes who won't work for their toys
I was chatting to the tracker installation dude & he was telling me about various nicked cars & the Golf R seemed to be targeted lots.

I was chatting to the tracker installation dude & he was telling me about various nicked cars & the Golf R seemed to be targeted lots.
Yeah it was a massive problem in our area. We had CCTV, alarm, lights.. nothing put them off. Final straw was watching them try and kick front door in, from our holiday in Madeira on the CCTV after getting an alert.. Keys were with us and they failed again but car was sent back the next week. I just hope they don't have a similar passion for VW Transporters!

So also now got LV, brentacre and comfort. For anyone interested from around west mids / solihull area:
A-Plan (KGM) - 540
Comfort (Aviva) - 447
Safeguard - 670
Brentacre - 735
L.V - 428

LV were the cheapest, but I have the same concerns others have raised... van would be specified as a petrol manual (WTF??), very woolly responses on how they value it if written off and it excluded a number of things included in Comfort policy - legal, 5k of camping equipment cover, gas and explosion cover, protected NCD. Only thing worth mentioning on the Comfort one is the factory alarm and immobiliser has to be working as its the minimum security for over 60K value and they say if you leave the car for more than 2 days anywhere except home you have to call them (except airport carparks it seems)

I went with Comfort, mainly because I had a few issues actually getting my van & they were great at answering the phone. Even rang me up a couple of times to get things sorted properly.

That does sound cheap. Where are you based? Did you have the same issue others reported of them no documented value for the van? Do they provide like for like replacement on internal mods in event of a loss?
I'm 52 and live in Shropshire. Mine's and Caravelle, so it's basic car insurance. 15k miles per year and business use, plus we have quite a few other vehicles, which I believe lowers the 'risk'.

Back