I think I’ve just about had enough of my T6.1

My van had a service about 3 weeks ago. I assume they install any new firmware etc. and my van still has the problems with Android (pixel 3a).
Don’t assume! Ask them to confirm that they have checked for any firmware updates required

My van had a service about 3 weeks ago. I assume they install any new firmware etc. and my van still has the problems with Android (pixel 3a).
You can check on the system information on the radio, if it’s software is 0743 it’s up to date. Think mine is running 0740.

I got my T6.1 in November 2019 and it’s driving me mad!

1. The underside of the van (heat shield?) has been coming away since a couple of months after I bought it. Going over speed bumps I hear scraping, people are always telling me somethings hanging off the van etc.

2. The radio doesn’t f-ing work! DAB reception is awful and I’ll spend most of the time in silence with the odd couple of minutes of radio before is disappears again.

3. So the answer is to listen via my phone. But Android auto doesn’t work properly and any audio from the phone won’t play via the van’s speakers. So no Spotify, no Apple Music, no podcasts, no radio.

4. So, for the first time in about 10yrs, I bought an iPhone. That’s when I discovered that, when playing music or making a call, after a couple of minutes, it starts crackling. And after a minute more, the caller is so distorted, I just have to hang up.

5. The van keeps entering some sort of limited power mode. I’ll be driving down the motorway, cruise on and suddenly the cruise will cancel and the orange coil light will be flashing and, unless going downhill, the van will slowly lose speed as the power is limited. On a long journey at the weekend (about 300 miles) it did it four times. Pulling into services and turning the engine off resets it.

6. And then this morning I got in the van, turned the key and the display said something like “accident detection, making emergency call.” No cancel button, taking the key out did nothing and then, from the ether “999 emergency, which service do you require?”. I had to apologise and wait for her to end the call as I still couldn’t work out how to hang up.

This van cost a small fortune - it’s supposed to be a premium brand. The poor technology and various faults have made me lose all confidence in the van and I’m seriously considering selling it and going for some other brand.
They produced the T6.1 without any concern or checks on the software. VW are not the reliable company they used to be. All robots and gadgets. They are disgrace when a California costs 60 grand and a " reduce oil level visit workshop " comes on in the middle of nowhere.
Just an update required. Joke

They produced the T6.1 without any concern or checks on the software. VW are not the reliable company they used to be. All robots and gadgets. They are disgrace when a California costs 60 grand and a " reduce oil level visit workshop " comes on in the middle of nowhere.
Just an update required. Joke
I had this, low oil level in my T6, and the handbook said 'take it to the dealer'. I checked the dipstick and topped up the oil. The fault went away.

Interesting question for @Steve Hales is the radio software update something we can do as owners? I see in my RCD radio an option to update. It is the touch screen non nav non apple car play version. I googled it, it looks like the RCD330 but doesn't have carplay. T6 is a 2017 Shuttle SE.

1. The underside of the van (heat shield?) has been coming away since a couple of months after I bought it. Going over speed bumps I hear scraping, people are always telling me somethings hanging off the van etc.

2. The radio doesn’t f-ing work! DAB reception is awful and I’ll spend most of the time in silence with the odd couple of minutes of radio before is disappears again.

3. So the answer is to listen via my phone. But Android auto doesn’t work properly and any audio from the phone won’t play via the van’s speakers. So no Spotify, no Apple Music, no podcasts, no radio.

4. So, for the first time in about 10yrs, I bought an iPhone. That’s when I discovered that, when playing music or making a call, after a couple of minutes, it starts crackling. And after a minute more, the caller is so distorted, I just have to hang up.

5. The van keeps entering some sort of limited power mode. I’ll be driving down the motorway, cruise on and suddenly the cruise will cancel and the orange coil light will be flashing and, unless going downhill, the van will slowly lose speed as the power is limited. On a long journey at the weekend (about 300 miles) it did it four times. Pulling into services and turning the engine off resets it.

6. And then this morning I got in the van, turned the key and the display said something like “accident detection, making emergency call.” No cancel button, taking the key out did nothing and then, from the ether “999 emergency, which service do you require?”. I had to apologise and wait for her to end the call as I still couldn’t work out how to hang up.

This van cost a small fortune - it’s supposed to be a premium brand. The poor technology and various faults have made me lose all confidence in the van and I’m seriously considering selling it and going for some other brand.
My advice would be to get an independent report on your van then take it to VW and demand they correct the points on the report.

I had this, low oil level in my T6, and the handbook said 'take it to the dealer'. I checked the dipstick and topped up the oil. The fault went away.

Interesting question for @Steve Hales is the radio software update something we can do as owners? I see in my RCD radio an option to update. It is the touch screen non nav non apple car play version. I googled it, it looks like the RCD330 but doesn't have carplay. T6 is a 2017 Shuttle SE.
Not sure with the T6 but with the T6.1 the software has to be installed via the SD card so technically could be done by anyone, the only issue is the software is only available to the dealers as far as I know.

I had the crackling issues as well but this sorted it. Honestly didn’t think it’d work as I’d already tried the official VW cable etc but since doing it I haven’t had it crackle once. Hope it works for you and then that’s at least one problem off your list!
The factory reset method worked for me BUT maybe it was dependant on other steps. Here's exactly what I did.

- Disconnect the USB cable from the van. Turn the ignition off completely.
- Turn the key back on to power the van. I didn't start mine up but it probably doesn't matter.
- Change the Privacy settings on your Head-Unit to the least secure; this isn't your banking app so I'm pretty sure it's not a risk.
- Do a full factory-reset of the head unit; it's somewhere in the settings. Read the alerts as it sometimes says it hasn't done it properly. It took me 3 attempts.
- Install the VW WeConnect App on your phone; this needs your VIN number and connects to your van directly from VW. I suspect this step may enable a software update.

I also bought a new cable for a tenner off Amazon which probably has nothing to do with it but I'm just saying this for completion.
One of the above steps cured the issue. I've driven it for hours at a time and it's been bang-on ever since.

I hope this helps someone.

B5ACED0B-12E0-4923-AF87-2E53263CEDB5.jpeg

Same issue with the radio on my 6.1, Dog ****

Back