Hole In Twin Turbo Intercooler Pipe

Jez

Hi there.
I recently developed a hole in my 4-motion top intercooler pipe.
I heard a hissing sound under acceleration and knew it was a leak in the turbo piping straight away.
The engine management light came on. I got my wife to rev the engine whilst parked and I investigated where the leak was.
Has anyone had a similar experience.
It happened on the pipe that goes over the top of the engine, where there is a large rubber ring with grooves in it on the lower right side looking in the engine bay. The rubber ring had slipped up and a hole wore where the pipe hit the engine.
50,000km on the clock. I had it replaced under warranty and then it happened again another 3,000km later in a different location at the top of the pipe where it hit some of the vacuum tubing. Weird.
It is the TDI400 4-motion Australian version so it may be a slightly different version to the UK 4-motions with the 199PS engine?
Any thoughts here.
Thanks
Jez

20181221_220955.jpg

Here is a photo of where the 2 holes independently developed.
Incidentally, with the second hole, having experience with the first hole, I noticed the hissing sound early so the engine light had not come on yet and I ended up patching it with a small bolt and 2 oversized washers the day before Christmas and have now done 2000km with the patch!

T6 Intercooler Pipe.png

It is the TDI400 4-motion Australian version so it may be a slightly different version to the UK 4-motions with the 199PS engine?
Thanks. Good info. The engine looks like an European 132kW/180PS variant, engine code CFCA. The code should be in service booklet and/or on a configuration sticker under dash by drivers seat.

Yes that looks like The older style engine.

I'm sure I remember a large rubber ring that sat around The upper part of the pipe.... to stop The rubbing damage.. I'll have to dig out some old pics.. from my old one.

Maybe not then....?

It must of been a different engine i had worked on... same principle apply... large rubber donut around turbo pipe to stop it rubbing through.

Volkswagen_Engine_2.0_BiTDI.jpg

Yeah, mine is the Australian variant, MMI suggested above it may be the European 132kW/180PS variant, engine code CFCA.
You Brits must get a more powerful engine as standard on the 4-motions, we get a lowsey 400NM engine down under!
Disappointing to get a hole at all, especially when you are travelling across the whole of Australia, 4700b remote kms with your 3 young kids.
But to get another hole in 3,000km after a replacement was ultra, disappointing.
I have it booked in to get fixed again. I will install my own guards to give my peace of mind at both spots.

Hi Jez
I have a 4motion T6 with the same CFCA engine. My turbo intercooler hose has abrasion damage in about the same place as yours did and has worn down to the mesh. I identified the cause as wearing as the hose presses against the vacuum solenoid behind the hose. This damage has been accumulating in my van since new. The engine is tilting back under applied torque due to a defective transmission mount. At the same time the intercooler hose expands due to the turbo kicking in. If anyone is interested I may be to post a video I made when it is occurring.

20201002_162340-1.jpg

20201002_200342 (2).jpg

I just checked my CFCA boost hose and there is at least 20mm clearance to the nearest point on the valve and no abrasion after over 40K miles.
Perhaps the hose was attached to the throttle body with a very slight twist in your case.
By the way I’m pleased with a trouble free 180 CFCA, sod the extra 50Nm and all the issues with Euro6 reliability.

That's an interesting thought. Mine has about 20mm clearance also when the engine is not running but there is impact when the engine is under load. It needs a new intercooler pipe anyway but with current Covid19 restrictions here in Melbourne the VW dealerships are only allowed to attend to vehicles that are broken down. Mine still runs. The other factor with my vehicle is the defective transmission mount which is allowing abnormal engine movement. This has its own consequences including vibration in the 4 motion drive train. I have a dispute going with VW about this issue.

As a new member I am not sure if I have permission to upload an MP4 video. The video is small, about 1 Mb but the extension isn't allowed. Is it possible to upload it?

Back