Tale of woe

I'm sure everyone is gagging to know the final episode of 'tales of woe'

So... I returned from my holidays in my very comfortable and extremely reliable Fiat engined Motorhome on Friday with great expectations of my newly fixed T6 and just couldn't wait whilst unpacking my stuff and cleaning the Motorhome. I had to jump into the T6 and take it for a blast to make sure all was fine.

Well it wasn't :(

Instantly I could hear an exhaust leak and the Black smoke bellowing out of the rear and the engine bay when you blipped the throttle was a very disheartening sight.

Long story, short. I discovered a leak from the clamp that holds the Cat to the Turbo and that's because the special clamps Volkswagen use and only designed to be used once, then replaced. So back on the ramp she went, where I did the rest of the work myself because my tech was on his holiday now. A new clamp and gasket fitted and fired her up, only to feel my stomach drop as the dreaded Black smoke was still booming out of the rear of the van.
Now, in the meantime I had a strong suspicion that this was map related, but my map supplier were convinced it wasn't, so to put my mind at ease, I was booked into my good chums at Transporter HQ today, where they removed the map and what would you know, it's totally fixed. Literally the first turn of the key and zero smoke.

I have no idea how or why the map was causing this issue, and I don't for 1 second blame the map for any of the issues, but between the original turbo and my replacement that was meant to be exactly the same, the map didn't like something.

Yeah ok, I've lost a bit of grin factor, but if it's a choice of big grins for big power, or smaller grins for a none smoking van, I'm going to opt for no Black smoke every day, especially as I absolutely hate being stuck behind a Black smoke belching pile of dog doo doo when I'm out on the road, I'm loathed if I'm joining that gang of inconsiderate so and so's.

All is now fine and even though this has been weeks of stress and a lot of money, I'm just glad to get it back on the road.

I'm sure everyone is gagging to know the final episode of 'tales of woe'

So... I returned from my holidays in my very comfortable and extremely reliable Fiat engined Motorhome on Friday with great expectations of my newly fixed T6 and just couldn't wait whilst unpacking my stuff and cleaning the Motorhome. I had to jump into the T6 and take it for a blast to make sure all was fine.

Well it wasn't :(

Instantly I could hear an exhaust leak and the Black smoke bellowing out of the rear and the engine bay when you blipped the throttle was a very disheartening sight.

Long story, short. I discovered a leak from the clamp that holds the Cat to the Turbo and that's because the special clamps Volkswagen use and only designed to be used once, then replaced. So back on the ramp she went, where I did the rest of the work myself because my tech was on his holiday now. A new clamp and gasket fitted and fired her up, only to feel my stomach drop as the dreaded Black smoke was still booming out of the rear of the van.
Now, in the meantime I had a strong suspicion that this was map related, but my map supplier were convinced it wasn't, so to put my mind at ease, I was booked into my good chums at Transporter HQ today, where they removed the map and what would you know, it's totally fixed. Literally the first turn of the key and zero smoke.

I have no idea how or why the map was causing this issue, and I don't for 1 second blame the map for any of the issues, but between the original turbo and my replacement that was meant to be exactly the same, the map didn't like something.

Yeah ok, I've lost a bit of grin factor, but if it's a choice of big grins for big power, or smaller grins for a none smoking van, I'm going to opt for no Black smoke every day, especially as I absolutely hate being stuck behind a Black smoke belching pile of dog doo doo when I'm out on the road, I'm loathed if I'm joining that gang of inconsiderate so and so's.

All is now fine and even though this has been weeks of stress and a lot of money, I'm just glad to get it back on the road.
Glad it’s all sorted. :thumbsup:

@Tourershine, I am getting suspicious as this is second time when I am having the same problem as you.
My turbo also blew up and it only happened last Friday night.

I found this inside of my turbo cold side.
20220822_172619.jpg

And this is what I have flushed out of my intercooler.
20220822_172632.jpg

Pipework between my turbo and the intercooler also got damaged.
20220820_150614.jpg
20220820_150608.jpg
20220820_150625.jpg

@Tourershine, I am getting suspicious as this is second time when I am having the same problem as you.
My turbo also blew up and it only happened last Friday night.

I found this inside of my turbo cold side.
View attachment 170167

And this is what I have flushed out of my intercooler.
View attachment 170166

Pipework between my turbo and the intercooler also got damaged.
View attachment 170176
View attachment 170175
View attachment 170177

Is that what's left of the impeller? Christ, mine didn't look that bad.

What power is yours?

Yes, my first 2 photos above show my cold side impeller(all of these bits).

My bus is 2016 150PS and I got it remapped to 190PS back in 2017.
Long story short, I have already purchased revised version of turbo (factory brand new unit) last Monday and got it installed myself.
Test drive also performed(2200km = 1367miles)
No oil consumption observed so it appears that my intercooler not only survived but also saved my engine.

I might put up my own thread and explain everything in detail.

I am astonished by some of the mechanical issues with these vans but still so much love and enthusiasm for them! I hope you get this sorted out and have some trouble free motoring for the future .

The problems with these turbos are they are to small and get to hot , really bad design , yes they work well and give good smooth performance when new but they have poor longevity.

Back