H4 To H7 Upgrade

A set here for £130 delivered; says in perfect condition BUT one of the plastic brackets can be seen on the grass!!

Found some time this afternoon to fit the H7s I bought for £70 from the post further up this thread. Was a simple process and the guide on here for removing the bumper is great. Really happy with the result. Much, much better dipped and main beam and better looking DRLs.

I used the Twenty20 LED DRL Bulbs mentioned above and they work with no errors and look great.

For the dipped and main beam I went for Osram Cool Blue Intense.

I’d recommend the upgrade to anyone that wants a massive step up from the H4s but may not want to stretch to LED.

520297AA-D1E0-411E-817C-9FE6CEDF7300.jpeg

Found some time this afternoon to fit the H7s I bought for £70 from the post further up this thread. Was a simple process and the guide on here for removing the bumper is great. Really happy with the result. Much, much better dipped and main beam and better looking DRLs.

I used the Twenty20 LED DRL Bulbs mentioned above and they work with no errors and look great.

For the dipped and main beam I went for Osram Cool Blue Intense.

I’d recommend the upgrade to anyone that wants a massive step up from the H4s but may not want to stretch to LED.

View attachment 178925
How do those Osram Cool Blue compare to the LED drl in terms of colour match? I need some new H7 bulbs

How do those Osram Cool Blue compare to the LED drl in terms of colour match? I need some new H7 bulbs
They are not as white as the DRLs. I’d say they are nearer 3500-4000k. Quite a bit whiter than normal bulbs but nowhere near the LEDs. My DRLs go off when dipped headlights are on so they are not seen side by side anyhow.

Got on with fitting the H7 units today. All went without issue (even in mizzle, rain and 6degC) so thanks to the forum members for all the info and support to get this done.

Took 2 hrs including Carista Beta coding for dipped staying on with Main. I fitted all the bulbs beforehand indoors. Used Nightbreaker 150 in both + the same Twenty20 LED DRLs as mentioned above. All purchased from ABD. No bulb out errors on dash.

Something I hadn’t seen in any videos or pictures was where/what/how happens if you have Fog lights. Advice from forum members was spot on that there is a connector just in front of wheel on drivers side that needs to be disconnected. Eveything else lights etc is connected bumper so comes away when removed. Just gently pealed back the arch trim to access once all bolts were loose and had popped the edge of the bumper loose.

Some photos of the Fog Light connector to help anyone doing this in the future. 86E7FD42-787D-49B5-B69A-A411BAE38E27.jpegCC080FFC-46DF-426C-BFFD-9A8A0DF89539.jpegABE2297B-B4BD-4E8F-832C-614376CAECBB.jpeg04A86F18-F6B3-4A81-BF91-EBB8C03665FC.jpeg

I swapped mine over yesterday, and no problems other than these

Firstly, they are huge and a real bugger to get in.

Secondly, I got a bulb out warning with them but today the warning has gone so probably a low battery issue?

I also fitted these
But one of the bulbs wasn’t lighting up, so I took it out rotated it 180 end it was fine, so don’t forget to check the polarity if you come across the same problem.

Just been looking at those, are the replacement caps easily sourced?

Yes, they are a pretty standard part. I was missing one off the 6R Polo, so 'borrowed' one off the H7s in the garage.

It might be that one off the H4 fits and can just be transferred. I’ll have a look later when it stops raining as I still have my old H4 lamps.

I can confirm that both the large and small rubber covers are identical between the H4 and H7 lights.
Isn’t it the plastic cover over the dipped beam and DRL that’s missing rather than one of the circular rubber covers? It looks the same as an H4 one so would hopefully be a straight swap too.

Back