H & R Ultra Deep

paul cardy

So thought I would share my experience to date 500 miles on the H & R deep coilovers. My previous transporters a T5 & T5.1 have both been run using coilovers, both a variation on V max and while I had no issues with these the front was never as low as the back, ride quality was ok over 50K mainly for moving motor bikes around.
So having recently pulled the pin on a new T6 Highline the search was on for something that would get the allusive stance ? with the T5.1 sold I hade removed the H & R anti roll bars and the BMW X5 19 wheels to transfer over to the T6. I ended up buying the H & R deep from Transporters HQ seems there are 2 types of rear spring with the Deep giving a 120mm drop which is the option I chose with the idea if it looked too low the spring seats could be set at there longest.
The swap over was the usual affair with every thing fitting as it should, I used the VW concertina dust seals to give some extra protection on the fronts, the rear ali spring adjuster have 3 allen key grub screws which lock it to the VW spring post which made fitting easy - so having given everything a good grease my initial thought was to set the front at its lowest on the spring seats and the rear at its highest, dropped it on the floor and the front was super low tyres tucked inside the arches and the rear was to high. So some further tweaking got the van level with the tops of the tyres level with the wheel arch this had the rears set at the lowest they would go.
Following a tracking set up I have now put on about 500 miles and my early conclusion would be what a great ride the front shocks are damper adjustable and with the anti roll bars taking care of keeping the van flat in the corners the shocks have been set at there softest and the ride is night and day compared to the previous coilovers I have used.
They were about 3 x the cost so you expect them too be but so far I would have no trouble recommending them if you were looking to get this sort of drop ( I understand the whole debate on air ride and going low its all down to budget or personal preference this was mine you may want something different ? )
Looking forward to putting the miles on over the next months and enjoying the ride.

Hello @paul cardy, cheers for sharing.
If you set them at their highest (as in, not lowered) what drop would you achieve over standard?

Hi Ads

Not easy to provide an accurate response as I went straight in at the lowest setting but the van looked like it was on stilts from the factory so probably a good 50mm drop on the highest setting but the std suspension could have settled if I had changed nothing ? Probally best to talk to TransportersHQ see what they think.?

A very interesting review @paul cardy
I spoke in length with Andy at TransporterHQ and he concluded the Ultra Deeps were not for me simply because of the overall compromise in comfort against the B14's, which is why i'm going that route in a couple of weeks, along with the H&R Arb's after driving @T6180 van who also has this set up.

You don't mention if you carry weight in yours as a work van or camper? Also your new wheel and tyre size?
I only ask because I find depending on the different vans I try, they all drive differently according to how the weight, wheels and tyres are set up.
Currently i'm running 19" wheels, and i've just moved from a 45 profile to a 40 in preparation for the lowering project, and this profile drop alone has changed the comfort of mine quite considerably. Mine sits currently on 30mm Sportline springs, and standard shocks, and although it sits low'ish, it's not how I want it, and the main reason i'm going coilovers is to achieve as you refer it, that 'allusive stance'
However, I carry a constant weight of around 500-600kgs with all my work equipment and a very well build 18mm ply bulkhead and custom built racking system, and this effects things quite dramatically, hence why Andy may of come to his conclusion on my lowering route.

My initial wish, was the set-up you are referring to, but i've been convinced by others that this will just be too harsh, and the B14 route is the best compromise, but my only worry with this is I won't get the look that keeps me scratching my head when I look at my van unhappy.

Lastly, it would be interesting to know your wheel and tyre combo, because I have a meeting at Image wheels in June to talk about a possible wheel build.
As these are hand built custom wheels, I can obviously choose my exact set up wheel size and offset wise, and in my head it's 20's for me, but this can be changed depending on how the lowering turns out.

Last edited:
Gents, forgive me if I’m wrong, but are we talking about the same setup here - H&R sell a Deep coilovers and an Ultra Low coilover, with Deep being the lowest (according to Still Static).
Which ones are we taking about when we say Ultra Deep?

Also, @paul cardy, which ones did THQ say they prefer / recommend?

Hi Tourershine

So its used for fun its a 150 panel van used to transport race bikes and sleeping in the back when on track - blow up mattress and sleeping bags so totally stock in the back with the VW load mat.

I am running BMW x5 19 wheels with 245/45/19 front and 275/40/19 on the rear, I chose these wheels as they fit with no spacers and the PCD is the same you just need a plastic bore adapter and coming from an X5 the load rating is what I wanted so super strong they have covered over 50K in my ownership with no issues and they are easy to clean, again wheels are another interesting subject my only comment would be getting the load rating right / legal.

Interesting on the comment on ride comfort but this all depends what your starting point / expectation is ? but for me its all that I had hoped for, I know what's its like to have a look in mind and not wanting to compromise that's a tricky one...…...

Hi Ads

I went with the lowest ones claimed as a 120mm drop on the rear the fronts remain the same which ever set you go for, I plumped for these with the idea I could raise it up at the rear adjusters if it was too low but for me the rear was spot on fully dropped.

Hi Tourershine

So its used for fun its a 150 panel van used to transport race bikes and sleeping in the back when on track - blow up mattress and sleeping bags so totally stock in the back with the VW load mat.

I am running BMW x5 19 wheels with 245/45/19 front and 275/40/19 on the rear, I chose these wheels as they fit with no spacers and the PCD is the same you just need a plastic bore adapter and coming from an X5 the load rating is what I wanted so super strong they have covered over 50K in my ownership with no issues and they are easy to clean, again wheels are another interesting subject my only comment would be getting the load rating right / legal.

Interesting on the comment on ride comfort but this all depends what your starting point / expectation is ? but for me its all that I had hoped for, I know what's its like to have a look in mind and not wanting to compromise that's a tricky one...…...

Thanks for the info.
It seems every vehicle needs it's own personal set up, and no one set up on the same suspension is the same depending on internal load and usage.
The problem there is it's not cheap to find out if what works for one van, works for another, and that's the frustrating part of T6 ownership. There is no such thing as a 'sweet spot' on these things, no matter how much information you collect.

I will just have to wait and see how mine turns out and go from there. The phrase 'money pit' is often banded in here, and nothing is more accurate, or frustrating.

Back