[Guide] [T6_modified] T6 Webasto Aux/Parking (water) Heater Configuration with VCDS

mmi

Senior Expert
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
From the factory T6 Webasto aux/parking (water) heater comes configured to heat cabin only.

Up here in Finland the vans come with overhead control/timer panel to allow the use of timer or remote to switch on engine and cabin preheating before setting off. The heater is configured by dealer to heat both engine and cabin.
18-Aux_Heat_Webasto_overhead_control.jpg

The trick that makes the heater to warm both engine and cabin is to configure the coolant change-over valve as "not installed". See coding screenshots below.
18-Aux_Heat_Web_byte_0_mod_b.jpg
18-Aux_Heat_Web_byte_1_b.jpg

In this configuration the flow of coolant will be as shown in the picture below. Always through both cabin heat exchanger and engine block. (The factory path shaded out).
18-coolant_circuit_shut-off_valve_N279_not_installed_(SSP502)_b.jpg
Cabin air blower will start when coolant temperature at heater has reached +45C (value controlled by adaptation channel). At outdoor temp -20C it takes about 8 mins, at -5C about 5 mins. At that point engine coolant has reached temperature of about +25C.

When configured cabin only (factory setup), cabin air blower starts at about 3 mins. I did verify that the heater obviously never switches to heat the engine. I tested that a few times at outdoor temperature -5C and when checked after 30 mins there definitely was no engine warming in 30 mins (engine coolant was still below 0C).

Some related information in threads:
Webasto Overhead Control Panel.
Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
Webasto Thermo & Comfort Se
Error code aux. Heater carista

PS. In late MY18 (recently delivered) vans the low voltage cut-out configuration has been changed, see picture below. The both vans from where the codings (above and below) were grabbed have second battery from factory under left seat.
EDIT: The reason for coding change of low voltage cut-out is that from Nov-2017 onwards the Webasto is powered from starter battery. See attachment.​
18-Aux_Heat_Web_byte_0_MY18_b.jpg

PS 2. Does anyone know access code for adaptations? The controller accepts code 20103 but it still doesn't allow me :thumbsdown: to tweak adaptation channels. Not that there is any need to change anything, just don't like the idea not having all the controls :whistle: .
EDIT: PS 3. Some of the adaptations need the code above, and then some accept 80782 so "problem" solved.

EDIT: Link added --> https://cardiagn.com/volkswagen-transporter-2016-2020-workshop-manuals-wiring-diagrams/

Fault codes:

Retrofitting Auxiliary heater to Parking heater:

Remote sync/learning:

1. Verify the remote: press OFF ▷ blinking red light on the remote.​
2. Power OFF the controller (5Q0963513A or 3Q0963513) for at least 5 seconds. OEM setup fuse SC54 (7.5A)​
3. Power ON the controller.​
4. After approx. 2 seconds (but before 6 secs) press OFF on the remote for 1 second.​
5. Verify by pressing OFF again ▷ steady red light on the remote (instead of blinking).​

Remote sync/learning using VCDS

1. Verify the remote: press OFF ▷ blinking red light on the remote.​
2. VCDS ▷ Select ▷ 18-Aux. Heat ▷ Basic Settings ▷ IDE06650 Adapt wireless transmitter IDE06650 ▷ [Go]​
3. Press OFF on the remote for 1 second ▷ [Stop]​
4. Verify by pressing OFF again ▷ steady red light on the remote (instead of blinking).​

Heater unlocking:

VCDS ▷ Select Control Module ▷ 18-Aux.Heater ▷ Basic Settings ▷ IDE06654-Disengaging/Unlock heater​
The fault code will stay in memory - can be cleared if so desired.​
OBDeleven ▷ Control Units ▷ 18 Parking Heater ▷ Basic Settings ▷ Disengaging heater​

Attachments

• T6_Webasto_Power_source.pdf
    350.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi. I'm in Oslo and have a T6 with the Webasto and overhead controls like yours. I also have a Mk 7 golf with a Webasto. Here's the thing. My golf warms the engine and cabin. My T6 just does the cabin. The Golf is really warm and de-iced when I get in but the T6 is only slightly warm and still a little iced if it's really cold. I want to get the T6 to do the engine too and was considering buying vcds or vag-com or something somebody can recommend.
Hope you can help.

Hi. I'm in Oslo and have a T6 with the Webasto and overhead controls like yours. I also have a Mk 7 golf with a Webasto. Here's the thing. My golf warms the engine and cabin. My T6 just does the cabin. The Golf is really warm and de-iced when I get in but the T6 is only slightly warm and still a little iced if it's really cold. I want to get the T6 to do the engine too and was considering buying vcds or vag-com or something somebody can recommend.
Hope you can help.
Perhaps you could ask your VW garage to do the change at next service. They hook up their computer anyway, so the change would be just a matter of 2 more minutes.

The dealer tool doesn’t show those bytes and bits, instead it has more intuitive tickboxes for configuration changes. One of their selections for the Webasto is coolant change-over valve installed/not installed.

Actually I would be astonished if vans in Norway are delivered with Webasto heating cabin only. You are not far away and actually Norway stretches further north than we do. Just hinting that perhaps the coding change just slipped through their hands…:speechless:

I find strange that your van is not warming up properly even heating cabin only. May be your heater is not working properly?:unsure: On the other hand, when I tested “cabin only” configuration (mine is a panel van, so it’s just the front seats and then bulkhead) I noticed that the heater very soon switches to half-power and even shuts down completely because the cabin was hot in just few minutes. Perhaps having the engine in the loop forces the heater to run at full power much longer because in 15-20 minutes it starts to melt snow from the windscreen, front windows and hood even at -20C.

I think it can be said that the VCDS is “oversized” tool for just coding changes – certainly well documented and supported one (also at this forum ;)). The real power of VCDS lies in area of fault code reading/documentation/interpretation. Another power feature of the VCDS is its capability to read and record measuring values of sensors, actuator, counters, etc, inside modules (engine, gearbox, instruments, aux heater, etc, etc). The latter functionality already falls deep down to fault diagnosis. Anyways, for private use their licensing policy is not bad at all.

I’m very pleased with VCDS so would definitely recommend. Other tools members of the forum are commonly using are Carista and OBDeleven. I have no experience of those. I think VAG-COM was just an ancient version of VCDS, and thus widely pirated :devil:.

I have an auxiliary heater but no control panel. I wonder what the default position is ie engine only or engine and cabin. Only got Carista but it would be nice to know whats happening under the bonnet in colder weather.

I have an auxiliary heater but no control panel. I wonder what the default position is ie engine only or engine and cabin. Only got Carista but it would be nice to know whats happening under the bonnet in colder weather.
That's a good question - mine is probably clearly staying the same as change-over valve is configured as not installed so probably no attempts to regulate it by Webasto.

In my configuration I can tell when Webasto is active just by looking at coolant temperature gauge on my regular route - for example at outdoor temp +4C when Webasto is definitely on, gauge reaches +90C in 4km. When outside temp is +6C and it won't turn on, I have to drive on same route 11-12 km to reach the +90C on gauge.

But when change-over valve is installed - I don't have answer. I'm confident that status of the valve can be read from the OBD data. Can Carista read so called measuring values? For example value in location IDE06625-IDE00371 would tell you total fuel consumption of Webasto. And there are a few parameters related to the valve... In mine IDE06178 "Switch-over valve for coolant" stays at 0%.

Some information about how the heaters work in T5 is in document VW Self Study Programme 416 - Supplementary Heaters – Part 2, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles which can be found online for example at VAG SSP 416 – Supplementary Heaters – Part 2 Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles | Pdf Free Online

I would think many of the principles described in the document are also valid for T6 although the type of heater is slighty different in T6.

I did notice a similar pattern to your warm up last winter @mmi. Although I wasn't quite as scientific as you. I noticed when it was colder outside my tootsies seem to warm up in a shorter distance than when ambient outside temperature was warmer. I'll take more notice next season though.

As for Carista. The only clue I've seen it give to the auxiliary heaters existence, is a fault code. I seem to recall you explained that in another thread. Whereby it registers a fault if the ambient temperature is low enough to send a demand for heater to start up, but its overridden by the low fuel light.

Thanks for posting the links to the self study guides. They make very interesting reading.

Perhaps you could ask your VW garage to do the change at next service. They hook up their computer anyway, so the change would be just a matter of 2 more minutes.

The dealer tool doesn’t show those bytes and bits, instead it has more intuitive tickboxes for configuration changes. One of their selections for the Webasto is coolant change-over valve installed/not installed.

Actually I would be astonished if vans in Norway are delivered with Webasto heating cabin only. You are not far away and actually Norway stretches further north than we do. Just hinting that perhaps the coding change just slipped through their hands…:speechless:

I find strange that your van is not warming up properly even heating cabin only. May be your heater is not working properly?:unsure: On the other hand, when I tested “cabin only” configuration (mine is a panel van, so it’s just the front seats and then bulkhead) I noticed that the heater very soon switches to half-power and even shuts down completely because the cabin was hot in just few minutes. Perhaps having the engine in the loop forces the heater to run at full power much longer because in 15-20 minutes it starts to melt snow from the windscreen, front windows and hood even at -20C.

I think it can be said that the VCDS is “oversized” tool for just coding changes – certainly well documented and supported one (also at this forum ;)). The real power of VCDS lies in area of fault code reading/documentation/interpretation. Another power feature of the VCDS is its capability to read and record measuring values of sensors, actuator, counters, etc, inside modules (engine, gearbox, instruments, aux heater, etc, etc). The latter functionality already falls deep down to fault diagnosis. Anyways, for private use their licensing policy is not bad at all.

I’m very pleased with VCDS so would definitely recommend. Other tools members of the forum are commonly using are Carista and OBDeleven. I have no experience of those. I think VAG-COM was just an ancient version of VCDS, and thus widely pirated :devil:.
Thanks for the reply. I've already asked at the dealers and at first, they didn't know what I was talking about. Then they said the Transporter only does the cabin. I thought then that they couldn't be bothered to help so I said ok and left. I may look into vcds. Thanks for your help.

@mmi is the knowledge that you have presented here also with Ross-Tech? If not I am sure that they would be very pleased to have it.

To others that have never used VCDS, it's a great piece of software & hardware to own maybe a large outlay but always up to date (software updates are free for life) and priceless should you have problems with any VAG vehicle. Ross-Tech also have a very comprehensive support forum available to all legitimate registered VCDS users.

Rod

They are not a big fan of mods, that’s why we like goods posts like this..

Well Ross-Tech do have both Tweaks and Retro Fits sections to their forum.

Tweaks:

Retrofits:

Admittedly they always shy away from any recommendations that could conflict with any rules and regulations worldwide but that's the US fear of litigation.

Rod

@mmi is the knowledge that you have presented here also with Ross-Tech? If not I am sure that they would be very pleased to have it.

Rod
Well Ross-Tech do have both Tweaks and Retro Fits sections to their forum.

Tweaks:

Retrofits:

Admittedly they always shy away from any recommendations that could conflict with any rules and regulations worldwide but that's the US fear of litigation.

Rod
Thanks. No, I don't think it is at Ross-Tech Forum in explicit form. Though it is inherently built-in and actually very well documented in the VCDS itself as can be seen in first screenshot above. You just have to know what the effect of each change is. As you and @Loz mentioned they rarely enter into area of configuration changes for obvious reasons. And, from their perspective I could imagine we are here altering coolant flow.

In addition to the above, quite many things has to coincide: heater, control panel, cold winters, and most importantly willingness/interest to take care of your engine not starting it without preheating at subzero temperatures.

Configuring it like I have definitely slows down initial cabin warming, so that might be not good thing for more modern people than I am :). When I tested the other configuration (cabin only, just to verify if it ever turns to heat the engine) I was amazed how fast it heated the cabin. The hot blow started in 3 mins after pressing the button, which is no wonder because the heaters power at max is 5 kW. So just a matter of few minutes and can set off in warm car (unlike mine now).

Last edited:
Tried this today with obd11. I haven't tested the heating yet as it's nearly 30°c! But it obviously has the ability to do it.

Screenshot_20180524-215449_OBDeleven.jpg

Reactions: mmi
Is there any chance some one can send me the coding for the overhead control panel, I have the water heater fitted as standard, but have only just fitted the overhead unit, but I can't seem to figure out how its coded, it thinks its an 'Air heater' controller?
Any help would be appreciated

Is there any chance some one can send me the coding for the overhead control panel, I have the water heater fitted as standard, but have only just fitted the overhead unit, but I can't seem to figure out how its coded, it thinks its an 'Air heater' controller?
Any help would be appreciated
Address 6E: Ctrl Head Roof (J702) Labels:. 7E5-919-037-W2.clb
Part No SW: 7E5 919 037 G HW: 7E5 919 037 G
Component: Dachdisplay H15 0185
Revision: 10100011
Coding: 000103

Let us know how it goes... What's your controllers software version (see above the line Component: Dachdisplay H15 0185)?

Many thanks for that, the wife is out with the van at the moment, so will have to try tomorrow,
The software is H16 0185
I noticed the part number is also different, 7E5 919 037 F instead of 'G'
Its currently coded 000205

Hi there,
I've just tried recoding, but the only options it has given me for the last bit is 0,5 or 6
I've left it at 000106
I thinks its just an Air heater?

Hi there,
I've just tried recoding, but the only options it has given me for the last bit is 0,5 or 6
I've left it at 000106
I thinks its just an Air heater?
Just checked a few more scans and realized that you should probably target to coding 0102 (0103 is for a one with a remote).
EDIT: Actually I don't know if the clock timer (PR-7VE) refers to the older timer as the actual radio remote seems to be coded in the Webasto, in the module 18. So the 103 is still probably the best guess.
EDIT2: May be I have to to take the edit above back. Checked the build sheet and it interestingly shows a "matching" code :speechless:
upload_2018-11-11_10-52-41.png

You should be able to enter any coding either using subsheet LCode2 or just typing directly into the box on line 3) or 4) (see picture). Interesting though why the selections available are not the same - different VCDS version? What are the VCDS "explanations" for codings 5 and 6? I don't see those :unsure:
upload_2018-11-11_10-10-17.png
I found in my scans from a few T6s with this overhead water heater controller software versions H15 0185, H15 0200, H17 0200, so not surprised to see also the H16...
Also found another part number variant, from a brand new 7E5 919 037 J. The "G" above was a MY16. So shouldn't be a problem there - I think.

Last edited:
For byte 2 bits 0-3, I only have three options:
Control Module NOT coded
(Air) Auxiliary Heater with Clock Timer
(Air) Auxiliary Heater with Remote Control

I will get the exact wording, again when the wife gets home in it tonight
Maybe tonight I also have a look in the Subsheet LCode2
I'm just wondering if its a security code issue?

This is a really interesting post. I am working on a friends van at the moment. It's come all the way from northern Norway to Scotland to be converted from a panel van to a family shuttle.

It has a Webasto coolant heater, factory installed, with remote module but NO REMOTES! I have ordered a new remote but will need to code it once it arrives. I've done a VCDS scan and noticed there is no label file for the aux heater. I haven't seen this before.

Do I need a label file before I can interrogate the module properly to code this remote or am I missing something obvious?
I have posted a request on the VCDS forum for some help but I noticed @mmi seems to be the resident expert in this section :)
VW Transporter 2012 - Webasto Aux heater remote coding (label file none)

Any help or guidance gratefully received.
Craig.

Back