[Guide] Dash confirmation / warning while on electric hook up

Lowlec

EWKY
T6 Pro
My electric hook up point is located under the bonnet,so with the bonnet closed and ehu plugged in,battery charger located in a cupboard it’s very hard to see!,my worst nightmare would be to drive off while on hook up! Or parked on the drive plugged into the house, so I decided to use an ESP dashboard switch which illuminates while on EHU.

CA6DBED5-2E7B-4ACD-BCF5-2B5415C1CFAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
After purchasing the ESP switch,(shout out to @Pauly ) I dismantled the inside to allow me to fit my own led(as these switches don’t have their own led for confirnation,the confirmation shows up on the speedo dail when activated).i went for a green led to stand out from the standard amber led’s.i didn’t want this switch to illuminate up red when the head lights were on,as it’s only there for one purpose!.

005462CB-7E9F-4B1C-906A-642FC0AA7A68.jpeg

Last edited:
Once the led was glued in place,I then installed a 230/12v Psu under the passengers seat base, looped off the adjacent power socket.

So.........
EHU plugged in = socket becomes live = Psu powers led = a green led confirmation on the dash board!.

using the ESP button was very fitting in my opinion (as it has a vechile driving off on it!)....once illuminated ..............DONT DRIVE OFF !!!

because I used a vw dash switch it blends in and looks original,because 99% of the time it’s not in use!

ps.....also a good way of telling if the site RCD has tripped out!

C5AF9BFB-00B8-4395-981B-9643CD67BB83.jpeg

Edit to update:

I have now replaced the Sargent charger/PSU and upgraded to a Victron IP67 25A (in readiness for my Lithium upgrade) which comes with an auxiliary SI cable as standard (start interrupt). This complements my modification to a tee, so now when on EHU the charger provides an auxiliary supply for the illuminated switch;
I can now do away with the original 12v PSU.
Result!

3DB00A37-930A-49FC-B19B-2384BEEC8E9E.jpeg

Last edited:
It probably a good idea to always walk around the van before leaving to make sure nothing is left behind anyway.

My T5 had a buzzer that sounded if you turned the ignition on while the ehu was plugged in, not sure I’d always notice an illuminated switch

Reactions: DXX
Very nice.

Can you do a more detailed thread on what and how you done it..

Disconnecting the internal Sargent 12v PSU and replacing it with a proper 12v smart charger will be a mod a lot of people are interested in.

Very nice.

Can you do a more detailed thread on what and how you done it..

Disconnecting the internal Sargent 12v PSU and replacing it with a proper 12v smart charger will be a mod a lot of people are interested in.
Yes Lee,
no probs mate,I only powered everything back up yesterday,will do a thread for you when all complete

There must be an interlock on standard production electric vehicles, any ideas on what device they use?

Back