[Guide] Battery Maintainer (for Starter battery) -- How I Done It --

I will reread this to understand.

The van DOES have dash button to switch off stop start (so annoying) so I guess swapping scr for dc to dc (or getting someone to do it) makes sense.

I aim to sort Solar soon (if I can find someone to install, it’s the wiring side (where it goes etc etc that concerns me on that one).

Does a dc to dc obviate the need for a amt12-2, eg will it keep both batteries in good health etc?
Yep, DC-DC if it’s a smart alternator. Some DC-DC will also trickle charge the SB (so no Ablemail needed) but check the specs and logic. Doing the wiring isn’t particularly difficult and will give you a greater understanding of the van and also the knowledge it’s done how you want it, but does require lots of research. If you’ve the time and inclination it’s well worth doing.

Another good resource is climbingvan.co.uk.

Thanks for this @Dellmassive! I see some folk that have EHU point plugging an EHU lead into the Powerbank and then out of side window and into the van EHU point which does similar for charging batteries.

Apart from being more stealth (assuming EHU plug on side of van) Is the method you are doing here via smart charger more efficient / less losses etc than using EHU cable?

I could do either option with my van so wondering which is best (stealth issue of cable outside van aside)?

The EHU route will only work to maintain the starter battery if it is configured to do so, either with a dedicated mains charger or by some form of battery to battery charged (DC-DC capability or separate trickle charger)

If you want to get as much useful energy from your power bank into just the starter then doing that directly with just a maintenance charger plugged into the bank and the 12v socket will be most efficient.

If you power up the EHU then all the 240v electrics in the van will be on, which could consume power that would otherwise go to the starter battery, but also generally the charging from EHU will top up the leisure battery and the starter, which may mean most of the power bank energy doesn't reach the starter battery.

Reactions: Sib
Thanks @roadtripper On mine the vehicle battery will charge when plugged in EHU, but good point about all other electrics being on so less efficient.

I've got a Ctek MX5.0 charger and two spare direct to battery connecters with the eyelets to will probably connect one to the vehicle battery and one to the leisure battery and can then charge either battery directly as I choose.

Back