240 Hook up charging

I’ve just had my electrical hook up fitted, can I ask if this way of charging is correct?

View attachment 159598
@Carl1974

Did you have a battery charger fitted as part of your EHU setup?

I'm assuming so?, As the basic EHU is just a socket in the van.

Post a few pics.

Hopefully you have a mains charger somewhere?. And a leisure battery somewhere?

Some people have two chargers, one for the starter and one for the leisure battery.

Let us know what you have.

I have a leisure battery fitted under the drivers seat, and this under my rib bed.

Hope this helps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi i have a T6 camper and i'm looking at fitting 240 volt hook up, can this charge my leisure batteries when i'm hooked up
I'm currently running x2 Leisure batteries with a CTEK smart charger

When i install the hook up I take it i have to install a 240 volt charger that's plugged to the 240 volt plug socket & connected to the batteries
Any info would be great on this

Yes. As you say.

EHU - CU - socket - charger - battery bank.

To keep it simple you can fit a single socket off the consumer unit for this purpose.

This is mine. It’s the blue unit at the bottom of the picture, and is connected direct to the Leisure battery. I’ve got an extension lead socket on the end of a mains cable which runs to the CU under the bonnet (I’ve not fitted the CU yet). I used an extension lead socket rather than a domestic socket box as it is more robust and much more compact.

I fixed it in with Velcro, and there is a connector in the charge leads, so theoretically I could take it out and charge another vehicle with it if required.

3C7629B5-73E1-4F95-921B-B7AB50FCCB2B.jpeg

Hi i have a T6 camper and i'm looking at fitting 240 volt hook up, can this charge my leisure batteries when i'm hooked up

When i install the hook up I take it i have to install a 240 volt charger that's plugged to the 240 volt plug socket & connected to the batteries
Straightforward setup. The search function will throw up more info than you can shake a stick at.

This is what I fitted a concealed hook up point in rear quarter panel, camping hook up, a Victron 30 amp charger with a battery master which charges the cab battery. The hook up cable is now discreetly zip tied back.

John.
DBFF0F5B-1269-4CFE-A059-255DFD50CDC8.jpegA5E221EA-764C-4671-993E-C896904DAA08.jpeg5EB404E9-E97A-4EBF-89DF-B96D406DDB02.jpeg6B462203-5C44-4BF0-893F-970E14DC9860.jpeg

Hey folks.

Looking at installing 240v in my T6 and wondered what options there were for plugging it into the van?!?! I've seen the E Grille from Transporter HQ but I'm planning on changing from commercial bumpers in the future so I'll be changing grills. I've got barn doors too so can't do the secret door option! I've seen some people just have a socket under the bonnet but wanted to see if there is something else that could be done externally other than the standard black flappy door through the side.

I've seen these online and wondered if they would work under the back bumper?
https://amzn.eu/d/heXBbrw

Any thoughts or advise always appreciated!

Just a standard 3 pin socket under the bonnet, there’s enough gap between the grill and bonnet when closed and there’s enough space to mount the socket near the van battery. There is a grommet in the bulkhead behind the battery.
No need to spend a fortune or chop holes in your van.

Cheers mate. I'll look at doing that then. Although I may need to find another grommet as I've already got my wires from the battery going to the DC to DC going through the one behind the battery!

Mine is back right under the bumper. I used a marine connector (needs an adaptor) but has some IP protection.
It is mounted on a bracket home made that mounts to the towing eye (removed) bolt holes. See photosEHU1.jpgEHU2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a connector under the rear of my van, but eventually got fed up of scrabbling around on my knees each time I needed to connect. The connector itself slowly became gummed up and the metal contacts oxidised badly as well. I’m much happier now I’ve moved the connector to the hidden door option. I know the OP can’t do that, but I would advise against going under the van.

Following useful advice on here, I put mine under the bonnet. Easy to use, takes up no inside van space, nothing visible on the outside.

Back