[Guide] Battery Maintainer (for Starter battery) -- How I Done It --

Hi all, I’ve just fallen foul of the no reverse charge from Redarc and solar . Van is dead.
I like the idea of the ablemail trickle charger or the battery master. But is it possible to fit alongside the Redarc whilst using it as a solar charger or is it for use with separate DCDC solar controller eg require a more major re-jig of the setup I’ve just completed.
Thanks for any help!
Neil

Hi all, I’ve just fallen foul of the no reverse charge from Redarc and solar . Van is dead.
I like the idea of the ablemail trickle charger or the battery master. But is it possible to fit alongside the Redarc whilst using it as a solar charger or is it for use with separate DCDC solar controller eg require a more major re-jig of the setup I’ve just completed.
Thanks for any help!
Neil
you can use one 240v charger to charge both batteries . . . as seen here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/battery-chargers-how-i-did-it.10812/post-349602

and here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/cha...re-batteries-with-same-charger-victron.24317/

if you plan on going for Ablemail AMT12-2 then it sits alongside the DC-DC charger.

it relies on the fact that the Leisure/AUX battery is being charged by either Solar or EHU and will effectively "back-charge" the Starter battery - so if you have some Solar or EHU it will work fine . .

the AMT12-2 wires alongside the DC-DC like this . . just the 3 wires. (starter batt, aux batt + Ground)

you just join in the feeds right next to the DC-DC charger.

this shows the setup.

1612794991567.png

this other diagram is the same, it just shows the seperate Solar cable that feeds a DC-DC (redarc in your case)

1612795671498.png

1612795156743.png

1612795203588.png

more info here:

Attachments

• DOC No SWI049 - ABLEMAIL - GENERAL Trickle Charge Installation Instructions Rev.A.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That looks great. Thanks for the excellent reply. Was hoping it would be possible to add this to my set up rather than change everything. I will go and order one now.
so I can think about where I should put it, I’m thinking that I can connect the the leisure battery and positive feed from the starter battery that come through under drivers seat.Does that sound ok? Do I need acces to this device long term to tweak etc or is it connect up and it’s all good?
I may order a couple of bm2 as well so I can keep an eye.
thanks for the help
Neil

That looks great. Thanks for the excellent reply. Was hoping it would be possible to add this to my set up rather than change everything. I will go and order one now.
so I can think about where I should put it, I’m thinking that I can connect the the leisure battery and positive feed from the starter battery that come through under drivers seat.Does that sound ok? Do I need acces to this device long term to tweak etc or is it connect up and it’s all good?
I may order a couple of bm2 as well so I can keep an eye.
thanks for the help
Neil
post a few pics of your Redarc and setup and well have a look.

Hi, I currently keep my battery topped up by using a Noco 5amp charger through the cig lighter.
just seen a special offer on Amazon for the 10amp version which i am tempted to buy but can the cig lighter handle/take this size of charger?

Hi, I currently keep my battery topped up by using a Noco 5amp charger through the cig lighter.
just seen a special offer on Amazon for the 10amp version which i am tempted to buy but can the cig lighter handle/take this size of charger?

are we talking about this one? : NOCO GENIUS10UK, 10-Amp

10A is about the max i would use on the 12v socket port as it will start to get warm/hot, at that rate and above when left connected for long durations.

This is due to the small surface area of the connection.

i think the port is fused at 15A MAX ( i need to double check)

edit: yes mine was fused at 15A (Factory leisure battery, 15A under bench feeds top 12v outlet socket) https://www.t6forum.com/threads/12v-aux-feed-5xusb-charging-from-aux-battery-todays-install.7079/

1613984166938.png

NOCO do a nice range of quick connect too . . . have a look at these:

NOCO GC002 X-Connect M6 Eyelet Terminal Accessory For NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers

1613984443937.png

NOCO GC004 X-Connect 10-Foot (3-Meters) Extension Cable Accessory For NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers

1613984497188.png

Yes that’s the one, it’s on at £75.00 so I bit the bullet and bought it before it jumps back up in price again.
I don’t have the factory leisure battery so will have a study of Loz’s fuse chart and see if I can find mine.
The reason I was/am going up in size is that I have a battery to battery charger (Sterling) and it kicks in when I put vehicle battery on charge and it then takes hours and hours to charge.

Yes that’s the one, it’s on at £75.00 so I bit the bullet and bought it before it jumps back up in price again.
I don’t have the factory leisure battery so will have a study of Loz’s fuse chart and see if I can find mine.
The reason I was/am going up in size is that I have a battery to battery charger (Sterling) and it kicks in when I put vehicle battery on charge and it then takes hours and hours to charge.

@Loz card shows 15A too (sc49/50)?

1613987410616.png

1613987441536.png

A standard BM2 bluetooth battery monitor permanently wired to a cig lighter plug is a very handy tool, just plug in when you need to monitor... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a DIY LiFePo4 battery charged by an Abso DMT-1250 Solar & B2B charger.

I’ve just added the AMT12-2 and it is working perfectly so far. When the green led comes on, the voltage across the vehicle battery increases, so I think it’s working. I guess I’ll see if the vehicle battery every drains…

So far I am pleased.

If you put BM2 or similar battery monitor on your battery, you will be able to monitor the AMT operation.

While I haven’t picked up a monitor yet, i can confidently say the AMT12-2 is definitely working! Accidentally left my dash cam in parking mode for a week… but it’s still at full charge! Neat!

@Dellmassive I’ve just caught up with this thread, after finding that my DC charger not kicking in was a result of the LB being depleted. Good work on the research, will order one of those AMT’s
(quick question: with my DC-DC charger being voltage sensitive, will it kick in when the AMT sends charge back to the vehicle battery whilst the LB is being charged?)

I’ve just fitted the AMT12-2 today and hooked up the EHU. The BM2 shows that the starter received some charge back but seems to have stopped at 12.29V.
What voltage level on the starter should it maintain / reach?

Back