Funkyleisure Or Kiravans Railsail

Kwp0906

T6 Pro
As per the title really, cant decide which to go for. Anyone offer experience (pros/cons) of both?

I've just had my railsail up for the first time... Like it, but the seams leaked a little but that's fixable. It's flexible. Any setup, and probably different every time.

Glad you posted this. I've been thinking of the railsail over the weekend. However at the moment its out of stock. I've read several people say the seams leak which is a negative.
The Funkyleisure seems to be a good alternative, at half the price but including poles (which could be swapped for the S+S ones with the money saved) and guy lines.
It doesnt have the unusual shape of the railsail though. Thats the only -ve I can think of.
Decisions, decisions.

I'd buy my railsail again. Not had an issue with the seams, but would trust Kiravans customer service to sort any problem I came across. Only negative for me was that it didn't come with poles and guys. But then I already had some that I use so wasn't a massive issue for me. :thumbsup:

Amazon have a separate stock of the railsail. But it's £10 more, but free delivery. So less in the end.

We have the funky lesiure awning. Works really well and its practical. The 3 poles are extendable and the additional guy ropes that come with it can be positioned in the 5 ringlets as you see fit so you can configure it as you want to tailor the shade or the water runoff. (Shade for European touring and runoff for UK trips obviously...) No wear and tear issues so far in the middle of a 2 month trip being used daily.

I have used and abused the railsail for nearly 2 years, it's faded a bit, now a lighter grey on top, but still great.

Used it in rain and sun. Would buy it again, if I needed to.
IMG_20180901_203811__01.jpg

I had the same question but eventually went for the railsail and am glad I did, no issues and very flexible due to the shape.

The lack of poles and guys is a negative but I would still buy another if I had to replace it.

Im talking to kiravans at the mo about the leaks and they really don't care. It says on the website that it leaks so hands washed.
Who said the customer service was good? Not even close.

Im talking to kiravans at the mo about the leaks and they really don't care. It says on the website that it leaks so hands washed.
I agree, it always amazes me how some companies treat their customers. They just get so arrogant as if we won't go anywhere else for the product because we are the best / only supplier.

On the seam issue, just run some sealant or Nikwax stuff along the seam. I know this is not the point, you should not have too :thumbsdown:

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do, after the 1 rating on amazon and Google... :mad:
It's a nice product, which is a pity.

We have the Funkyleisure one, but have never used it as we have never really got along with it.

The awning seems well made although I have no idea whether it leaks or not as it’s only ever been erected on ‘trial’. Main problem for us is that it’s too big and doesn’t fit tightly enough. Also the poles are horrible things which we have discarded and replaced in our recent trials by extending aluminium poles we already owned.

So ours is already significantly modified, and we will try again, but it’s probably that we just don’t need an awning!

I like the concept of the Kiravans Railsail and its flexibility but they only do black. The vans I have seen them on are very dark inside because of this and I know of owners not using the Railsail because of this.

Shame Kiravans have not taken all the feedback from others on the colour and come up with a lighter translucent material version.

As per the title really, cant decide which to go for. Anyone offer experience (pros/cons) of both?

RailSail all day long !
Mint

And dont waste money on other poles like I did ! Just buy Stitches and Steel carbon poles and get it right first time !

Hang on - How can you complain when it does say on the website that the seams are not watertight?
I read that, but still bought one based on the comments on this forum. I've used it once, and not in the rain, but if mine does leak, I will treat the seams to minimise any ingress.

As they are currently out of stock, I'm sure you could sell yours through the forum if you didn't want it as there seems to be the demand.

When I ordered mine from Kiravans, they emailed me back to apologise that they were out of stock due to a stock-keeping error. I whinged back about this, as they showed they had stock when I ordered (a practice I hate when they are actually out of stock.), as did their Ebay shop & Amazon. Funnily enough I received mine in just over a week and some time before the projected stock replenishment...

Back