Anyone use the Kiravans Sail awning/canopy?

$immo

Built not Bought
T6 Guru
Seen the canopy / sail on the Kiravans website

Kiravans Railsail

Has anyone got one or seen one in the flesh, any reviews as a lightweight sun cover or rain cover for short stops.

Cheers Simmo.
Screenshot_20180104-075227_01.jpg

There was someone who had one who posted on here who said it's top quality. You might be able to search for it. That said, it better be for the cost. Especially as you need the poles and stuff on top!

We've got one and really like it. It's strong and key for use in the UK is that it's been totally waterproof even in some heavy rain.

Costs are relative - something like a fiamma f45s will cost you £450 - £600 and is not designed to be waterproof but will provides an area of sun shade - as long as it's not windy.
This will cost you about £250 with a couple of Robens telescopic poles etc and provides flexible sun and rain protection over a larger area - even in strong winds, and more privacy due to the shape.

Takes about 5 minutes to put it up and down including pegging, but less if you're going out for the day as I leave the poles, pegs and guys onsite. Here's an image of ours in use in normal configuration with 2 poles.

-Edit- we use it for short trips and when touring, we plan to get a small drive-away awning for week long camping.

Site_Image_M.jpg

Last edited:
We've got one and really like it. It's strong and key for use in the UK is that it's been totally waterproof even in some heavy rain.

Costs are relative - something like a fiamma f45s will cost you £450 - £600 and is not designed to be waterproof but will provides an area of sun shade - as long as it's not windy.
This will cost you about £250 with a couple of Robens telescopic poles etc and provides flexible sun and rain protection over a larger area - even in strong winds, and more privacy due to the shape.

Takes about 5 minutes to put it up and down including pegging, but less if you're going out for the day as I leave the pegs in place. Here's an image of ours in use in normal configuration with 2 poles.

-Edit- we use it for short trips and when touring, we plan to get a small drive-away awning for week long camping.

View attachment 16706
Thank you @Chopman especially for putting up the pics, it looks super cool.

I have only just finished converting my T6 and am coming back to campers since selling a 1988 hitop back in 1996. I've been camping since and have a MSR Zing shelter that has three aluminium poles that would work great with the Kiravans Sail. So in essence it's only the £200 I need to outlay.

Looks like you just made my mind up for me.

Thanks again & great van, your red grill stripe sets off your van perfectly.

Thanks @$immo, you can't see in the picture, but the inside is red plaid seats and red counter tops - the theme continues.

If you have a MSR Zing then the railsail is probably a similar idea but with one side being anchored to the van itself. I've also bought an adjustable ridge pole that allows me to put the uprights through holes nearer the van and then put the pole over the uprights to create a ridge that I can fold part of the railsail over and peg it down - works well in stronger winds.

I guess you also know that you'll need a rail attached to the van that the railsail slides into.

Last edited:
Thanks @$immo, you can't see in the picture, but the inside is red plaid seats and red counter tops - the theme continues.

If you have a MSR Zing then the railsail is probably a similar idea but with one side being anchored to the van itself. I've also bought an adjustable ridge pole that allows me to put the uprights through holes nearer the van and then put the pole over the uprights to create a ridge that I can fold part of the railsail over and peg it down - works well in stronger winds.

I guess you also know that you'll need a rail attached to the van that the railsail slides into.
I placed the order so just waiting for it to come next week! Great idea about the ridge pole, may have to try that myself.
I've been converting my Van since Sept and just finishing it, I fitted a reimo awning rail as part of the conversion so should be ready to go. Thanks for the advice.

@Chopman, I'm looking to buy a railsail but I'm unsure on the awning rail itself. I'd like to go with the one that sits in the channel on the roof of the van, but they are coming up too short. Kiravans suggest a length of 2.65m but the maximum length rail I can find is only 2.4m. Did you have this issue?

Back