S+S Tarp Awning - thoughts?

I looked at the S&S tarp some time ago but was a bit put off by the complete lack of detail on their website about the material used or, indeed, it's water resistance. I spoke to somebody at the firm who seemed rather reluctant to offer anything other than - 'it's only designed as a sunshade'. In the end, I bought a Kiravans Railsail from that nice chap Skyliner33 on here which I'm still waiting to use in anger. Along with the Vango Airbeam Sun Canopy and the Kela driveway, I reckon I should have all my awning bases covered. That said, I suspect the former (ie. Vango canopy) might find it's way to the for sale section on here in due course.

Thought I would bump this post having used the awning a few times over the last couple of years.

Have found it really useful - It lives under the double seat with the poles stashed in the back. Can change the height and configuration easily and makes a great temporary shelter from sun and rain

awning.jpg

We even used it on the beach as a tarp shelter in the peak summer sun!

beach.jpg

@goldeneye243, thanks for the write up. Just wondering how waterproof this is? Considering getting one, it’s between this one and the Funky Leisure one. I do prefer the versatility of this one though. Are the poles solid? Thanks

@PapaJay. Sorry, I can't comment on the S&S tarp nor the Funky Leisure one but I would suggest that you have a look at the Kiravans Railsail which is waterproof and very versatile (as well as tough). Because of the shape, I don't think it could be used as a beach shelter like @goldeneye243 seems to have done with his but that's not really what it's for. It is however designed to be a van awning and as such does a brilliant job of it. It's quite expensive (poles extra) but well worth it IMHO. Have a look here: Kiravans Railsail - Multi-pointed, Heavy-duty Campervan Awning

@PapaJay. Sorry, I can't comment on the S&S tarp nor the Funky Leisure one but I would suggest that you have a look at the Kiravans Railsail which is waterproof and very versatile (as well as tough). Because of the shape, I don't think it could be used as a beach shelter like @goldeneye243 seems to have done with his but that's not really what it's for. It is however designed to be a van awning and as such does a brilliant job of it. It's quite expensive (poles extra) but well worth it IMHO. Have a look here: Kiravans Railsail - Multi-pointed, Heavy-duty Campervan Awning
I have the funky and it is waterproof, works a treat fast up and down .

The Railsail looks ace more money but out of the three it’s probably the best .

@goldeneye243, thanks for the write up. Just wondering how waterproof this is? Considering getting one, it’s between this one and the Funky Leisure one. I do prefer the versatility of this one though. Are the poles solid? Thanks
I would say that it is quite waterproof - To the point that when water gathers in it, it can sag a lot! I haven't used the poles that came with it (if any did, I can't remember) as I got the carbon S+S ones - A previous generation to the current ones.

For the money, I think it is a good product.

With regards to the beach shelter, it did OK, but wasn't the best (kept the sun off on a baking hot day though...)

I now have both. The S+S is way better. Much more flexible and the pockets for the lines are awesome!

Hi Sabre, which ones do you have? Could you give a bit more detail? Thanks!
I've got both the rail sail and the S+S tarp awning. The s+s is better with the tie pockets and longer cover. Flexibility is better. Can only put the railsail up one way.

Back