S+S Tarp Awning - thoughts?

goldeneye243

T6 Guru
Thinking about getting a simple side awning and I was looking at the Kiravans Sailrail, then stumbled on the Stitches and Steel Tarp Awning that looks like a similar shape but significantly cheaper...

I'm not sure that it is waterproof though - I have emailed to ask...

Has anyone seen or used one?

@goldeneye243 Hi ..just checked there website and the Bawdsey inflatable awning @£150 looks very nice....I’ve got something similar..
Vango Sun canopy which is really good quality....but they are quick and easy to put up:)
5C5E68CD-259A-4554-8219-BBD7EBBAC75B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@goldeneye243 Hi ..just checked there website and the Bawdsey inflatable awning @£150 looks very nice....I’ve got something similar..
Vango Sun canopy which is really good quality....but they are quick and easy to put up:)

That's just what I have been looking for.. kerching! it's bought!

I'm looking at the tarp awning with poles...

Looks good! We like the Stitches&S gear and have some. Carbon Awning Poles & Windbreak.
We have the Khyam Sun Canopy (£79.99) + detachable Side & Front Panels for more versatility. Yet to try out though as no trips out this year yet! Different sort of fabric to the S&S probably but looks promising.

Mine came with a large kador strip (based on a 7mm bead) so it wouldn't fit in the small rail on the end of the Thule Omnistor so I unpicked the small amount of stitching at the ends and pulled out the large 7mm cord and installed a small length of smaller cord and it now fits fine.

Last edited:
Mine came with a large kador strip (based on a 7mm bead) so it wouldn't fit in the small rail on the end of the Thule Omnistor so I unpicked the small sticking at the ends and pulled out the large 7mm cord and installed a small length of smaller cord and it now fits fine.
Thank you for the info

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came with a large kador strip (based on a 7mm bead) so it wouldn't fit in the small rail on the end of the Thule Omnistor so I unpicked the small amount of stitching at the ends and pulled out the large 7mm cord and installed a small length of smaller cord and it now fits fine.
Any thoughts on whether it would fit in a Reimo Multirail?

Another option is the Funky Leisure Debus Sun Canopy which is a tarp with Kador strip - quite versatile and can be pitched in various configurations. They are made by Vango and the latest edition is a polycotton version which makes a very good alternative to the polyester type. Polycotton is only available in Silver Cloud colour (sort of natural, putty) whereas the polyester ones are offered in several colours. The latest ones also have improved poles.
I think that the Stitches & Steel one is only in black and I am still not sure about the Kador strip size on that. We have other Stitches & Steel items and they are all excellent but not the Tarp (yet?) - so far very happy with the Debus ones.

I've been looking at this tarp too! I love the shape and different configurations you can get it in. I camped once where some neighbours had a sail like this and couldn't speak more highly of it

Back