S+S Tarp Awning - thoughts?

I emailed S+S with regards to my Reimo multirail and the response was -

"Hey John,

For sure no worries- the tarp should indeed fit with your Reimo Multirail.

All the best,

O + T"

We have one on order so will let you know - we have just a standard 6mm awning rail but have also managed to find a 6mm-7mm kador strip.

Great thread! I've been looking at the stitches&steel tarp, an Outhausco tarp and the Kiravans Railsail… still undecided.

Has anyone got a recommendation for an awning rail - our converter has mention either a VW one that's quite discrete or a Reimo one.

Having had a similar problem with a vango sun canopy the only way that i know to connect different size C rails is using kador strips with figure of 8 connector either to up size or down size the bead:thumbsup:

I'm on the hunt too, assumed I'd go for the Reimo one as I need a gutter for the front door, the pop normally sends all the water straight down the middle of it!

Will it fit straight into the 6mm awning rail on the van?

Yes it does, but because of the fabric itself it is easier to thread on using a Kador strip & Figure of 8.
The Debus VW Sun Canopy awning seems to be easier to attach straight onto the van but is not quite the same overall shape as the Stitches & Steel one.
We have the Lightning Leisure awning rail fixed under the OEM roof rails.

Last edited:
Does the S+S or the vango come with side panels.. be good to pop up and stop the weather coming in.. the s+S awning looks a touch small?

Does the S+S or the vango come with side panels.. be good to pop up and stop the weather coming in.. the s+S awning looks a touch small?
They're not really designed as weather shelters just sun shades really.
We have 3 sides for our wind out Thule awning for when its bad.

The S+S could be configured in various ways, including dropping the front half down to make a vertical wall but the sides would not be closed. Overall size is 3650mm W x 4000 L and approx 2450mm where it attaches to awning rail. The Funky Leisure Debus is slightly smaller being 2900 W x 3000 L and 2400 at van attachment. Funky Leisure show various pitching ideas to suit weather conditions in their blog page.
The Khyam Sun Canopy is another option which does have the option of attaching side and front panels with windows and doors if required. The Sun Canopy on its own is about 2000 x 2500 mm

In bad weather I would expect the Debus or S+S to withstand strong winds etc better than the Khyam with sides and front because of the size/shape. The Debus & S+S can both be pegged out easily with one pole, rather like the RailSail. The RailSail has a lot more pitching options because of its unusual shape, but is a lot more expensive.

p.s. Once we have sorted out what we are keeping in the way of tarps and awnings I shall probably have one or two for sale...watch the For Sale section soon!

Last edited:
Looks cool. What size is the “footprint” of that? Are you going to use a “hidden” awning rail?

Back