fuel economy

Just done a 2 hour journey on motorway, stopped at petrol station and when I set off the yellow light was on haha

You'd think regardless of the amount of fuel, when it was at speed then it would burn the crap off but obviously not.

You're getting the DPF warning light on after a two hour journey?

These euro 6 engine are so restricted that they have to actively regenerate. So mine regens nearly 4 times more often than my euro 5.

These euro 6 engine are so restricted that they have to actively regenerate. So mine regens nearly 4 times more often than my euro 5.

Agree !.

Mine regens, on average, every 150 miles. Long or short journeys, easy or hard driving.
Its not that my use of the van doesn't suit a modern diesel, its the VW modern diesel doesn't suit the vehicle.
These engines seem only suitable to long, constant motorway work.
We dont have this constant regen issue with the euro6 Vivaros.
I'm getting a bit hacked off with it and am going to take it back and have a moan.

Motorway driving does not suit the euro 6 engine either as I have been driving 100 miles each way to work and back but it still regens a lot due to the fact that because of traffic I'm driving between 60-70 mph and thats below 2000rpm most of the time. Not a big fan of the euro 6, I think my euro5 140 was better.

Last edited:
So short journeys and motorways don’t suit the T6 (or most modern diesels) meaning they are suited to...errrmmm...medium length journeys only?!

Reactions: .50
I still haven't noticed a regen on my T5 after 30K...maybe I'm deaf.

I still haven't noticed a regen on my T5 after 30K...maybe I'm deaf.

That's because they were very good at passive regens. However my t5 regenerated about once per tank at the max. I do alot of motorway journeys.
I would love another dpf delete and get/regen turned off in the software but people have stopped offering it, as illegal.

I have to say I'm quite shocked about that! How could VW get it so wrong? I know the DPF isn't as close to the turbo as it could be but a restriction warning after a significant motorway journey means it really isn't fit for purpose

Manually worked out last tank at 36mpg, but a lot of driving in Bath (hilly and busy), plus hauling a full tank of fuel initially can’t help. Normally only put half a tank in at a time.....a full tank weighs a ton ( well, maybe not exactly...you know what I mean).

Agree !.

Mine regens, on average, every 150 miles. Long or short journeys, easy or hard driving.
Its not that my use of the van doesn't suit a modern diesel, its the VW modern diesel doesn't suit the vehicle.
These engines seem only suitable to long, constant motorway work.
We dont have this constant regen issue with the euro6 Vivaros.
I'm getting a bit hacked off with it and am going to take it back and have a moan.

Mine does a regen every 80/90 miles! always has since new, I have been moaning to the dealer for ages, they say its normal? I have never had a warning light show up on the dash. Its now going back in for a dpf sensor update, not sure if its going to make any difference..

Reactions: .50
Mine does a regen every 80/90 miles! always has since new, I have been moaning to the dealer for ages, they say its normal? I have never had a warning light show up on the dash. Its now going back in for a dpf sensor update, not sure if its going to make any difference..

I've never had a light on the dash either.
Lets us know how the DPF sensor thing goes.

I've never noticed a dash light or a region in thousands of miles.
That's on a 140 Euro5 engine.

When was the euro 5 released? Just wondering as we have a 2011 140 TDI and that has a sticker in the window but never ever done the fan thing.

The fan thing is euro 6 only as the system runs hotter and always actively regenerates. The euro 5 liked to passively regenerate so never did the fan thing. Mine still did an active regen once per tank.
Euro 5 was 2009 onwards for cars.

Back