fuel economy

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone formed an opinion about the fuel economy read out? I've just checked mine for the first time. MFD said I'd averaged 41.9 mpg. When I checked this against the trip, versus fuel used.......or to put it another way, the miles on the trip versus the number of litres it took to fill it up......I came up with something like 38.7 mpg. Roughly 3mpg adrift. That seems pretty inaccurate to me.......I had a 3 series bmw for 14 years that was never more that 1mpg adrift when compared to the tip computer. Could it be anything to do with the dealer fitting me a set of 17" Devonports? Should something have been recalibrated to take account of the change from 16" Clayton's to the Devonports?

If that were the case you MFD mpg would be worse than the actual mpg because you are travelling further than the van thinks due to a larger tyre circumference.

Then again your trip mileage will also be wrong, making your calculated mpg wrong????

Only done 3000 miles in mine but I think it shows at less 2 mpg over . As I was only getting 33 mpg from my ford custom I am more than happy with the 40 mpg . The DPF uses extra diesel to clean itself so that can affect the readings .

Just a thought......how do you remove the plastic star shaped trim from the centre of the devonports.......do you gently lever them off? I've noticed a small hole close to the centre of them but it looks too small to insert something to pop them off with???

Look in the side of your wheel jack there is a hook tool to remove them

I bet it's not there! Like I said, the dealer fitted them........I'll be amazed if it's there. I'll probably have to chase one up??

Has anyone formed an opinion about the fuel economy read out? I've just checked mine for the first time. MFD said I'd averaged 41.9 mpg. When I checked this against the trip, versus fuel used.......or to put it another way, the miles on the trip versus the number of litres it took to fill it up......I came up with something like 38.7 mpg. Roughly 3mpg adrift. That seems pretty inaccurate to me.......I had a 3 series bmw for 14 years that was never more that 1mpg adrift when compared to the tip computer. Could it be anything to do with the dealer fitting me a set of 17" Devonports? Should something have been recalibrated to take account of the change from 16" Clayton's to the Devonports?

Less than 10% out, for VW, that's not bad! My overall average for the 11k I've done is a smidge under 39mpg and the MFD says the same. It's a decent improvement on my previous T5 and a vast improvement on the Vito I had. For an auto as well, I'm quite happy.

Unless they have fitted odd tyre sizes the difference in circumference between wheel & tyre sizes will likely be less than 1%. Certainly much less than the difference between new and worn tyres. So that will have negligible impact.

Where does the computer get the qty of fuel used from and how pin point accurate is that?

Mine is currently averaging 40 mpg against 41.5 mpg which isnt far off at all and after having driven a polo GTi for 12 months that was around 30 mpg at best and 60 quid to fill up every 260 miles ish, 70 quid to fill up any nearly 600 miles is phenomenal in my book! I am very happy!

Fully loaded 4 motion kombi working fan here averaging 30mpg , not bad but not terrific either.

I'm averaging 36 and only occasional decent runs so I'm happy with it .Its 20% improvement on the 30mpg at best I used to get out of my mapped T5.1

Vel 204ps dsg motion, 12 months and 6,000 miles in averaging 36mpg, mostly half to full load, gets up to over 40mpg lightly loaded, worst I've seen fully loaded 31mpg.

7000 miles, 140 Kombi, getting 37mpg now, pretty much the same as when I had it.

An interesting fact to point out on my Kombi with 70 litre tank (wish I had upgraded to the 80 litre tank) is I generally re-fuel when my range is display is around 30 mile mark. This would lead you to believe the tank was almost empty but in fact has still another 10 litres left. I find I am getting around 560 miles for 60 litres.
This is based on only taking 60 litres to brim the tank again, so don't panic if you find your fuel getting down low, there's still plenty left!
Also, on a leisurely 50 mile run today with about 30 miles of that being motorway driving around 60/65mph, I had the MFD showing 46mpg, so not bad.

Back