fuel economy

Winter driving (empty car) at zero degrees on highway avg. speed 53 mi/h (85km/h. Drove 25 miles (40km). Readout was 23mpg (1L/ 10km). Outragous in my point of view. Total milage is still only 3000km, hope it gets better...

This is the one thing that really concerns me about slapping some bigger rims on mine. I get brilliant fuel economy from my van (180 bi, manual euro 5), would be seriously pee'd if that went for a burton if I'd just changed from my 18's to 20's, and spent a couple of grand.

I've got just about the thirstiest combination, velle exec 204ps DSG 4motion, over 8,000 miles mixed driving, mixed loads, the average is 36mpg actual, checked when filling up and computer is optimistic by about 2mpg showing 38mpg never drops below 30mpg actual.
Going to be covering 600 motorway miles on my own at weekend, should do it on a tank of fuel.
How can mpg's be so wildly different?

Winter driving (empty car) at zero degrees on highway avg. speed 53 mi/h (85km/h. Drove 25 miles (40km). Readout was 23mpg (1L/ 10km). Outragous in my point of view. Total milage is still only 3000km, hope it gets better...
Forgot to say: 150hk diesel, 4 motion and DSG. 235/55r17 with spikes in tyres (what do you call such winter tyres?)

NEC to Leeds tonight in heavy traffic. 44.6mpg. A lot of 50/60 on the M42 and then crawling around Nottingham, but then cruise set at 70 ish for the rest of the journey. Got about the same on the way down last night. I'm afraid the bi-turbo is probably at step too far if you want power and economy.

@RattyMcClelland have you tried sticking your 16's back on and see if that makes a difference?
Was your abt exhaust fitted as soon as you took delivery might worth seeing if anyone else with one fitted has decreased mpg.

The abt exhaust is just an add on after the mid silencer.
The van wasn't great on fuel before I put the abt kit and 20s on. Of course the 20s added weight won't help but the tyres are still identical to the tyres I ran on my t5 and that thing got 35-39mpg before and after big wheels.

My first decent run was up the M5 M42 to NEC. And what a superb drive it was.
T6 T32 Kombi 204 DSG. Delighted with the MPG. 70mph and some of it at 50 through road works.

IMG_1277.JPG

I was happy with mine but when I fill up the guage goes down the first segment dam fast and the range hardly moves

First drive across Bristol and up to W-u-E, so not easy....display showed average mpg of 45.......150 lwb Highline.

Did a run back from Manchester to hull at around 60mph all the way back averaged out about 51 when I sat it on the drive(manual 150 and the only load was the Mrs) was pretty happy with that coming from a merc that I could not drive below 90 on the motorway

Got 33 mpg travelling from Stockport to Cricceth castle and back 150 dsg t6 lwb kombi at fairly fast speeds

at the moment, mine is showing 47.7mpg so far on this tankful........okay, so it's all been rural/A/B road stuff and pretty much on the flat. Things have improved massively since the weather warmed up.....and I'm really really trying to see what I can squeeze out of it on this tankful. I'm always mindful that driving it too gently could result in a clogged dpf or too much regen?? The MFD readout is always 5mpg above my manual calculation.....pretty crap really so it's a work of fiction!!!!!!

at the moment, mine is showing 47.7mpg so far on this tankful........okay, so it's all been rural/A/B road stuff and pretty much on the flat. Things have improved massively since the weather warmed up.....and I'm really really trying to see what I can squeeze out of it on this tankful. I'm always mindful that driving it too gently could result in a clogged dpf or too much regen?? The MFD readout is always 5mpg above my manual calculation.....pretty crap really so it's a work of fiction!!!!!!
Not got mine over 40 mpg yet but it's my work vehicle in the week and my smile maker rest of the time

I've had 62 mpg in our Galaxy and 47 mpg in our ford Granada 2.9 and transit mk7 used to do 34mpg

Took a run from the south midlands to the welsh coast, towing a trailer. 60 miles flashing up on the range MFD and the odometer is reading 580miles which was zero'd when I filled up! Can't complain at that, even more so considering there was a trailer on the back.

Back