fuel economy

204 dsg around town 24mpg . motorway today covered 80 miles and did 30.4 mpg. That was at 70 mph . pretty crap really. Just wondering if a remap would help. But surely more BHP means more diesel . Running 21" alloys maybe thats not helping ?

204 dsg around town 24mpg . motorway today covered 80 miles and did 30.4 mpg. That was at 70 mph . pretty crap really. Just wondering if a remap would help. But surely more BHP means more diesel . Running 21" alloys maybe thats not helping ?
Fuel economy is pretty poo on all vans. Let’s not beat around the bush show us your alloys!:rolleyes::):rofl:

140 DSG SWB Kombi. Mainly motorway miles, cruise set at 75 max. 46k. 40.2mpg worked out brim to brim. The overall average on the trip computer is saying 40.3, so pretty accurate. The only thing on the M-way that really makes an impact is wind, head wind or a tail wind and +/- 10% easy, and town driving sends the mpg into the low 30's. Fortunately they are few and far between.

I've been getting roughly 51mpg going from Coventry to Salford up the M6. So average speed is roughly 55mph.

Yea I used to get mid forty's, but for the last few thou its now only 29-31mpg, on a recent trip from Cornwall up to Nottingham we filled it to the brim, reset the trip and drove like miss daisy all the way just to see how much mpg we could get at steady 60 mph, did the next fill to the brim and the best we could get was 31.2 mpg... piss poor! I am sure this constant DPF Regen is drinking it!

Came back from Scotland last night and 35mpg cruising at 75mph (all motorway), when I got back there was a fan buzzing away after shut down - is this what DPF Regen is, also went to fill up this morning (so just local run), when back home fan was blasting away again (enough to wake the neighbours :D) and this time there was a very hot smell around the front end/side of van

Came back from Scotland last night and 35mpg cruising at 75mph (all motorway), when I got back there was a fan buzzing away after shut down - is this what DPF Regen is, also went to fill up this morning (so just local run), when back home fan was blasting away again (enough to wake the neighbours :D) and this time there was a very hot smell around the front end/side of van
Yep - it's a regen and perfectly normal to get the hot smell - it didn't get to finish when you got home so started again as soon as the van got back up to temp next time you used it, which just happened to be a short journey.

Yep - it's a regen and perfectly normal to get the hot smell - it didn't get to finish when you got home so started again as soon as the van got back up to temp next time you used it, which just happened to be a short journey.

:thumbsup: Great explanation Davenjo and fully understood now, as when pulled up last night I got back into van to start her up and switch off again, fan still kept going so left it and sneaked a look back 10mins later just in case van had set alight or something similar :D

yea thats a regen, and no matter how I drive it my van it still does it every 80/90 miles... can't see the DPF or fans lasting that long, so prob going to get some huge repair bill just after its three years old :)

yea thats a regen, and no matter how I drive it my van it still does it every 80/90 miles... can't see the DPF or fans lasting that long, so prob going to get some huge repair bill just after its three years old :)

:thumbsup:
Did think of buying a truck but mpg was scary but always fancied the Transporter albeit the brochure figures suggested T6 204 was quite an economical beast (lying German tinkers). Anyway keep telling myself this is my dream and keeper van which clouds and blurs the mpg issue slightly :D

Briefly read about DPF removal, is this something recommended ?

Did think of buying a truck but mpg was scary but always fancied the Transporter albeit the brochure figures suggested T6 204 was quite an economical beast (lying German tinkers). Anyway keep telling myself this is my dream and keeper van which clouds and blurs the mpg issue slightly :D

Fuel economy does seem to vary wildly as you will see from this thread.

Remove the DPF and you definitely fail the MOT when it comes around.

DPF removal is an MOT failure now. @Davenjo beat me to it :)

at the moment, mine's showing 57.4mpg.....my MFD is now reading approx. 11mpg over! Give me strength!!!

A hollowed out dpf is difficult to detect. Impossible unless you take stuff apart.

I know as I had mine done on my old van.

Would you still risk it now with an increased likelihood of getting caught and a £2500 fine?

Back