Fog lights as DRL's

Petehelmet

T6 Guru
For all of you with the standard H4 units who fancy a change from the standard DRL layout, this is how you recode with VCDS to enable your fogs/cornering lights to DRL's
DRL_zpsapfze4w0.jpg
What you need to do is go into central electrics controller 09 and change the following,
Byte 23
Bit 2 which is actually the third one from the end as they are counted from left to right.
DRL%20as%20fogs_zpsjuybhsyu.jpg
As you can see there is no tick box for this option but changing it to a 1 from a 0 will produce the desired effect just make sure you then click on a different Byte (not the one with red red arrow because that is the one your changing) and this will then allow it to be saved and from there you hit, DO IT
Your fogs/cornering lights will now act as your standard DRL's behaved, i.e. when your lights or side lights these will automatically switch off but will work on cornering function and as fogs lights.

Hi all, I’ve been trying to find out if it’s possible to wire a set of retro fit fogs to be on all the time, without causing any other issues. I know about the legalities of fogs on when visibility is not reduced, but I’d fit led’s which will resolve that.
initially I was thinking of having them as DRL’s but then I thought it would be better if they just stayed on. Anyone tried this???

Hi. Can anyone tell me please if I can set my fogs to be DRLs using Carista? I have read it can be done with VCDS but I don’t have access to that. Thank you.

I haven’t seen this on Carista. Not sure it’d be legal so you’d likely get stopped for having fogs on in all weathers.

Yes it can if you sign up as a beta tester. Also allows a few more things that you'll see. It takes 2 mins to do

Yes it can if you sign up as a beta tester. Also allows a few more things that you'll see. It takes 2 mins to do
Interesting…. I was a beta tester but I’ve dropped off it for now. May have to see what else is new.

I haven’t seen this on Carista. Not sure it’d be legal so you’d likely get stopped for having fogs on in all weathers.
If it can be done in VCDS then all the legal requirements like auto-dimming should be met, if I can’t use Carista I will pay to get it done. Thank you.
Thank you Lee, I have done that and it works although the DRL elements in my LED headlights no longer work. Is that by design do you know?

Yes, mine did exactly the same. There's probably a workaround in vcds, although i've not used it so couldnt say.

I'm pretty sure that LED bulbs can't be dimmed, meaning they'll be at full brightness. When used in fog lights as DRLs they should be about 65% brightness. There is the option in VCDS to alter the percentage of brightness, but it will only have effect on halogen bulbs.

If you have LED headlights and the DRLs have failed, I'm guessing that the side/parking lights don't work either? I think you need to get to the bottom of that issue first. Using fogs as DRLs won't give you side/parking lights. I think it would be unlikely that both headlights would fail at the same time, so it could be a BCM or coding glitch.

Last edited:
Some vehicles do use fog lights as DRLs, just at a reduced brightness, so it's perfectly legal when done properly. It's the Citroën Picasso drivers that drive with side lights and fogs in the daylight because, well, I don't actually know why, that need setting fire to.

Is it posible to code fog lights to turn on thogether with LED DRL?

It is posible on other VW like Passat and Caddy. Looked trough vcds but couldn't find it.

Is it posible to code fog lights to turn on thogether with LED DRL?

It is posible on other VW like Passat and Caddy. Looked trough vcds but couldn't find it.
You can control DRL source light via BCM coding of Byte 23 bit 2 & bit 3.
There are 4 possibilities.

Reactions: mmi
Back