Exploria Reimo Or Kernow Cali Roof?

Convertavan

Hi folks,

I’ve a T6 velle and weighing up whether to put a second hand T6 Cali roof in with Kernow or go to someone like Exploria and have a Reimo roof.

The reason for narrowing to these two is the finishing trim. With Kernow/Cali it will be like factory with the velle and Cali trim being able to meet up. Exploria will fit a Reimo and match the trim material (not carpet like many others). Both can move the velle vents (at an expense).
I like that the Cali is a metal roof (quieter I’m told) and the tambour hatch.
However exploria is a new roof and also a bit closer for me to get to!

What are people’s thoughts on the two please. If anyone has photos to share from these 2 converters (of Caravelles would be nice) then much appreciated. (I’ve seen a few Kernow ones on their Facebook).

thanks

Toby

How local are you to exploria? Theres other options for Cali roofs that may be closer to you than Kernow.

I'm assuming the Reimo at exploria will be the older style/superflat (ie. Not easy fit) so won't look as 'factory' as an easyfit/SCA type. They do look to do a good job though, very neat trimming and get the canvas fit spot on.

If I'd got a swb I'd prob go Cali, nothing looks as good (both up and down).

I've got a Reimo fitted by Exploria (in 2018) with their bed pack and the mood lights. I don't use it very often as if it's just me in the van I tend to keep it down, but the fit & trim are very good, and the bed is pretty well padded, though I did throw a Duvelay mattress topper up there when my son was using it. Externally, the pop top is pretty obvious, but being colour matched to the van is not too bad.

I do find that the canvas has a tendancy to be pinched by the rear hinge mechanism unless you are careful when collapsing the roof. I prefer to have a 2nd person outside ensuring the canvas is pushed in while slowly pulling the roof down. I suspect this is a Reimo issue rather than Exploria, though I suppose it's possible that if this was done the first time it was collapsed after fitting, then there would be no "memory" in the canvas to fold that way in the first place?

How local are you to exploria? Theres other options for Cali roofs that may be closer to you than Kernow.

I'm assuming the Reimo at exploria will be the older style/superflat (ie. Not easy fit) so won't look as 'factory' as an easyfit/SCA type. They do look to do a good job though, very neat trimming and get the canvas fit spot on.

If I'd got a swb I'd prob go Cali, nothing looks as good (both up and down).

I’m not local. I’m West Midlands. It’s is superflat that exploria offer. I do like the Cali look and inside the tambour door just finishes things off and extra sound deadening from the road noise.
Kernow seem to have the most experience of fitting Cali roofs, just nervous of a second hand roof and not sure what warranty I’d get and it’s a long way for me to go.

We actually recently fitted a Reimo V-Tech roof to a caravelle exec and relocated a set the blowers roof vents to the rear of the van and the internal roof finish in the van was 100% perfect. You cannot possibly achieve this with an SCA or a Cali roof and I can stand by this statement as i have fitted both to Caravelles in the past of my own.

I priced up my 18 plate Caravelle with Exploria to have a roof fitted. I ended up buying a 69 Cali ocean because I was ultimately I was turning a vehicle that shouldn’t have a pop top into something that might have a hard resale value. You’d be better of buying a Cali beach

We actually recently fitted a Reimo V-Tech roof to a caravelle exec and relocated a set the blowers roof vents to the rear of the van and the internal roof finish in the van was 100% perfect. You cannot possibly achieve this with an SCA or a Cali roof and I can stand by this statement as i have fitted both to Caravelles in the past of my own.
Interesting. I’ll PM you.

I priced up my 18 plate Caravelle with Exploria to have a roof fitted. I ended up buying a 69 Cali ocean because I was ultimately I was turning a vehicle that shouldn’t have a pop top into something that might have a hard resale value. You’d be better of buying a Cali beach
Been around this loop. Price wise we aren’t going to be much different but got a better spec of vehicle with our Caravelle and we love the twin sliding doors.

I’ve seen Cali roofs stuck in odd positions over the years, when the electro mechanicals have thrown a shoe. Wouldn’t be my first choice. If I was going to all the trouble & expense of having a roof fitted, I’d be having a new one with a guarantee.
Imo

I’ve already ruled out the electric Cali room. Just need to find convertors that do caravelles as well as I’d like the air vents moving not just taking out. Also want the scenic roof canvas so that will determine which roofs we can have (Reimo super flat doesn’t have this type for example).

I've got a Reimo fitted by Exploria (in 2018) with their bed pack and the mood lights. I don't use it very often as if it's just me in the van I tend to keep it down, but the fit & trim are very good, and the bed is pretty well padded, though I did throw a Duvelay mattress topper up there when my son was using it. Externally, the pop top is pretty obvious, but being colour matched to the van is not too bad.

I do find that the canvas has a tendancy to be pinched by the rear hinge mechanism unless you are careful when collapsing the roof. I prefer to have a 2nd person outside ensuring the canvas is pushed in while slowly pulling the roof down. I suspect this is a Reimo issue rather than Exploria, though I suppose it's possible that if this was done the first time it was collapsed after fitting, then there would be no "memory" in the canvas to fold that way in the first place?

I also have a reimo roof and had the same concerns initially, my converter suggested putting in elasticated straps to keep a bit of tension to ensure the canvas on both sides collapses inwards like he’s done on his demo van. Fortunately, the canvas folds in naturally so I’ve not been back to have the straps put in.

Got to say that Exploria did a really neat job of my Reimo roof. I actually preferred the internal finish of the super flat rather than the easy fit.
I thought about a Beach for a bit but for various reasons bought a Kombi. One of the reasons was i liked that the Reimo roof was flat and think that big solar panels look good on it!
There was a recall on T6 Calis for roof corrosion. Something to look for.

@slidepods very interested in knowing more about the internal finish with a Reimo V-Tech on a Caravelle Exec (we have a Gen 6 looking for the right roof). Are you able to post or send photos? Our previous experience was with a Beach (loved the tambour cover) so looking to get as close to that quality of finish as possible ...

Back