EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

It seems to be a day for bringing up old threads.

I've just noticed that the same hissing, and now the fume smells are back, and after a quick look, I have another cracked EGR flexi-pipe.

Thankfully I ordered two when this happened last time, because I had a feeling it might not be a fluke, and I will change it again tomorrow, but wondering if anyone else has had the same pipe replaced? It just seems a little weird that this will be the 3rd pipe the van has had.

Last edited:
Nightmare, good thinking with the spare....

What engine are we talking about?

Had my EGR pipe replaced 3 weeks ago.....1st time, 30k miles on a 204 DSG. It was split too.

Had my EGR pipe replaced 3 weeks ago.....1st time, 30k miles on a 204 DSG. It was split too.

Thanks mate, that makes it a little easier knowing it's not just mine.

Oddly enough, it was around 30k that my first one went, and it's now on 54k that the 2nd one has gone. It's not a huge deal, but looks like this part is going to almost be a service item at those intervals.

Anyone else reading this with the same issues, as mentioned earlier in the thread, they are around £20 and a 25 min job to fit for someone with moderate mechanical skills. So, potentially not worth the hassle of letting a dealer commandeer your van for investigation, then part order, and fitting.

@Dellmassive

There you go Sir.

Old one against new pipe, and no modifications.
20190615_171935.jpg

This is the one i've just changed after around 24k
20190615_172105.jpg

This is the original one from new, that I changed last year after around 30k
20180731_143002.jpg

I suspect the new one i've just fitted will do around the same mileage. As mentioned above, it's not a big deal because it's a cheap part, and an easy job to swap over.

The first obvious symptom will be the smell of exhaust fumes coming into the cab, and the confirmation is the hissing coming from behind the engine.

On that note, if you or a mod wants to change the title to 'exhaust fumes in cab' or something more suitable for the search box.

Last edited:
Great work, I thought VW may have designed an upgrade by now.

Title edited.

I have this noise since having a egr flush last week.
Would the damage to that pipe have been caused by the flush?
2018, 204ps with 14k miles.

In my opinion it’s fairly safe to say the leak has been caused by the work you had done otherwise it’s a highly unlikely coincidence.
It maybe just a loose joint, try painting on some soapy water with the engine revving.

I had Vw Assist out today, checked out all joints /pipe ect for damage. Nothing showing up booked back into the
dealer on Wednesday.

Hi All! im new to this forum but owned t6 last 2 years. recently my car went into main dealer for faulty door rubbers and they found out my egr pipe has to be change because of bad fumes coming out from frontpassnger side also in cabin, they booked me after few week from today but im worrying that is it safe to drive when egr pipe is faulty ? thanks a million

Hi All! im new to this forum but owned t6 last 2 years. recently my car went into main dealer for faulty door rubbers and they found out my egr pipe has to be change because of bad fumes coming out from frontpassnger side also in cabin, they booked me after few week from today but im worrying that is it safe to drive when egr pipe is faulty ? thanks a million

@Tourershine one for you this

Safe? I'm not sure. My dealer told me not to drive the van when mine split, and actually asked me to get it recovered to them, due to the damage it can do to the engine. I'm not sure how true that actually is, but I ended up changing the pipe myself.

I've just changed it again after it split in the same place after another 20k, so I'm on my 3rd EGR pipe. It's not a difficult job to do yourself, and the pipe costs less than £20 with the gasket shims.

I drove mine whist I was waiting for the new pipe to be sent out, but it's not a pleasant experience having fumes leak into the cab.

Back