EGR and Turbo failure - related?

Jack#

I took delivery of my 67 reg DSG T6 in December 2017. I decided to add electric side door and tailgate with conversion to camper van in mind at a later date.
After 12 to 18 months the coolant level indicator came on so I topped it up without thinking too much about it. Following that I periodically topped it up every six months or so.
When the van went in for some warranty work including a seat element I mentioned that there seemed to be some coolant loss but there was no sign of where it was going.
They said they would put a pressure test on whilst they had it for the day.
On collecting the van they said they couldn’t find anything.
It gradually got more frequent and although the three year warranty had run out I booked it in for investigation. The vehicle at this point has only done 46000 miles.
Unfortunately before the due date arrived the vehicle started blowing out smoke from the exhaust and when I lifted the bonnet the engine had blown oil everywhere.
I sent it to VW on a truck so as not to damage it any further.
A diagnosis was done and the EGR was to blame. I was informed that it would be covered by ‘good will’ as it was a known problem. The following day I was told that it had been done but the mechanic had noticed the crank oil seals were leaking and it would be £500+ to replace them. I had no choice but to tell them to go ahead. After thinking about it overnight I spoke to the garage and expressed my concerns regarding the oil the engine had blown out and why it was pressurising. I was told it would be due to the EGR and the exhaust gasses. I asked if that could be the reason for the blown crank seals. They said yes and surprisingly the extra cost disappeared!
I was then told that it appears the turbo has gone and it would cost me just over £2000 plus VAT. I asked if it was related to the EGR problem but they said no.
I have since found a lot of information contradicting that and the EGR can be a main contributor to turbo failure.
After trying to resolve this matter prior to picking up the vehicle I was passed from person to person and two or three failed return calls I had no option but to go and pick up the vehicle and pay. I have since opened up a case with VW customer services who have spoken to the garage and they have told them there is no link between the Turbo and EGR. (No surprise there!) They have now closed the case.
I now have a van that I have totally lost confidence in and still have five months to pay it off.
I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has any similar experience of this issue. Incidentally I already have had one colleague who decided not to go with VW due to my experience!!
Finally sorry for the long content but thanks for reading.

A98FC3EE-BF70-4604-AF7C-CD26EAD808A3.png

E9261F64-2E5A-4071-9816-A49626CDCC26.png

E899645D-2D6F-4F86-B102-E3F83D984C6C.png

I‘m surprised that VW have done as much as they have on good will. You obviously haven’t told them that you ignored the coolant leak and just kept topping up the coolant.
I’d be counting myself lucky.

You obviously haven’t told them that you ignored the coolant leak and just kept topping up the coolant.

When the van went in for some warranty work including a seat element I mentioned that there seemed to be some coolant loss but there was no sign of where it was going.
They said they would put a pressure test on whilst they had it for the day.
On collecting the van they said they couldn’t find anything.

Maybe you should point this out to them. Coolant loss could well have been the first signs that something was wrong which they didn't resolve.

Thanks DXX for your reply. I’m sorry that I didn’t really explain myself properly. I was told by Vw that it isn’t unusual to have to top up the reservoir from time to time and also had an independent garage take a look on two other occasions but they also couldn’t find where it was going. It seemed it was going through the EGR valve an dispersing through the exhaust. My point was that it is a known problem by Vw and if they had done something in the first place I probably wouldn’t have needed a turbo.
What's the exact engine code - it's on configuration label under dash by steering column? I'd expect it to be either CXHA, or CXFA, or CXEB?
Hello mmi I have had a look and it is CXHA not that it means anything to me

Reactions: mmi
Maybe you should point this out to them. Coolant loss could well have been the first signs that something was wrong which they didn't resolve.
Hello Howzat thanks for your reply. I certainly have pointed this out but they now (according to the Vw customer care )have no record of even doing a pressure test!

Thanks DXX for your reply. I’m sorry that I didn’t really explain myself properly. I was told by Vw that it isn’t unusual to have to top up the reservoir from time to time and also had an independent garage take a look on two other occasions but they also couldn’t find where it was going. It seemed it was going through the EGR valve an dispersing through the exhaust. My point was that it is a known problem by Vw and if they had done something in the first place I probably wouldn’t have needed a turbo.

Hello mmi I have had a look and it is CXHA not that it means anything to me
OK understood now, however a normal periodic top up is pretty rare and generally a tiny amount.
If there was no external leak the garages that you visited should have suspected cylinder head gasket failure or one of the coolers was leaking. In your case it appears it was the EGR cooler that was leaking and a known issue.
Unfortunately they all hit the ‘dunno’ button which is piss poor, I wouldn’t be using them again.

OK understood now, however a normal periodic top up is pretty rare and generally a tiny amount.
If there was no external leak the garages that you visited should have suspected cylinder head gasket failure or one of the coolers was leaking. In your case it appears it was the EGR cooler that was leaking and a known issue.
Unfortunately they all hit the ‘dunno’ button which is piss poor, I wouldn’t be using them again.
Yes the independent checked for cylinder head and dsg oil cooler defects but came up negative. Unfortunately I only have basic knowledge of mechanics and certainly nowadays with all the world saving extras it seems to be a mine field. It also seems most of these things don’t actually work unless you are thrashing up and down the motorway all day!! At some point in this fiasco VW accused me of not doing enough miles to be any good for the journey even though I am on par with the National average.

It's an awful state of affairs when they tell you they did 'this' as part of the diagnosis only to tell you later that they can't remember going 'that'.

Just more proof that we as consumers need to be right on our game by demanding written evidence of any and all procedures carried out before we take the van back after reporting an issue.

I have experience of manufacturers trying to get away with doing as little as possible when it comes to warranty repairs in a past life (electronics) but the principle is the same. The OEM's all have targets to meet to keep costs down with everyone right up the chain getting bonuses if these targets are met or exceeded. There are so many departments within an organisation that are twisting the facts (a polite way of saying it) to keep their bosses off their back and to stop other departmental bosses passing the blame to their department that it becomes a political quagmire so they end up taking the easy route out by blaming the consumer for not following a 'procedure' or for misusing the product. eg. "You didn't use VW parts? That'll be why then!" "You didn't use VW adblue? That'll be why then!" etc etc

Give them an inch and they'll take it in a flash.

Just keep at them @Jack#. Go polite to start with then start pressing harder. Sometimes you can get lucky by just being a pain in the butt.

Just blank off the EGR and get rid of the DPF and be done with it. Reintroducing dirty air into an engine and asking it to over fuel itself is never going to be good for it, it goes against the basic principles of combustion...

The issues with the emissions systems on these vans, the 204ps 17' bitdi particularly, are frequently brought up. You're going to get nowhere banging onto to VW, and they will just feed you a load of tosh depending on which way the court cases are blowing. In this case there doesn't appear to be anything to base the suspected turbo failure on, and seeing although it's it's engine out job to fix, I really wouldn't worry yourself based on no real evidence.

Plus without the emissions shit on there they are pukka engines. Slightly better fuel economy, far more reliable and ironically better for the environment. If you're nearly paid up on it I'd say its a no brained.

P.S. EGR failure isn't usually a cause of turbo failure directly, oil issues are a common cause of turbo failure. The reason the egr has been thrown in with turbo issues is that egr issues frequently show up as a boost fault as they are depended on the exhaust gasses for operation. Open egr fault = underboost, stuck closed egr = overboost (in simple terms that is).

I bought my 204 ps (CXEB) 4Motion T6 17 plate in November 21 with 44250 on the clock. My problem began in December 2021 with oil light coming on. Then it turned into EML for a P0401 EGR insufficient air flow phoned VW to get it booked in for an investigation the earliest I could be seen was Feb 15th at my local van centre. Week before the investigation I had the oil (quantum) changed at just over 50k and checked the voltage of MAP sensor and the MASS Air flow both fine, leading up to the investigation the EML didn’t come back on so cancelled the investigation and instead asked for an inspection to be carried out with a view to taking out VW all in policy and a haldex service. It passed the inspection but the same night I collected the EML came back on phoned them to get it back couldn’t see me until close to the end of may. Managed to get it booked in at a different van centre March 31st had a phone call asking if I knew it was using oil to I replied yes but what does that have to do with my EGR issue and was told they needed to carry out an oil consumption test long story short spoke to an ex VW service manger who told me this is correct procedure because if the EGR cooler has failed then it can take the engine with it. So not just a new EGR but potentially a new engine. Anybody else experienced similar?

Would you avoid a T6 with one of those engine codes?
The engine code just says what fuel and power the engine is. All 204 bi-turbos are CXEB.
There was a previous 180 BiTdi that had an issue with an older version of the egr cooler that broke down internally and metal partials entered the bores and caused scoring.

Reactions: mmi
Just blank off the EGR and get rid of the DPF and be done with it. Reintroducing dirty air into an engine and asking it to over fuel itself is never going to be good for it, it goes against the basic principles of combustion...

The issues with the emissions systems on these vans, the 204ps 17' bitdi particularly, are frequently brought up. You're going to get nowhere banging onto to VW, and they will just feed you a load of tosh depending on which way the court cases are blowing. In this case there doesn't appear to be anything to base the suspected turbo failure on, and seeing although it's it's engine out job to fix, I really wouldn't worry yourself based on no real evidence.

Plus without the emissions shit on there they are pukka engines. Slightly better fuel economy, far more reliable and ironically better for the environment. If you're nearly paid up on it I'd say its a no brained.

P.S. EGR failure isn't usually a cause of turbo failure directly, oil issues are a common cause of turbo failure. The reason the egr has been thrown in with turbo issues is that egr issues frequently show up as a boost fault as they are depended on the exhaust gasses for operation. Open egr fault = underboost, stuck closed egr = overboost (in simple terms that is).
Hi Catagonia, how much does it cost to blank off the egr and dpf. I have a 180 bitdi with issue's.

My compression results and oil analysis report aren't good, but that would stop any further damage from occurring, so I'll just the engine doesn't fail anytime soon. 3D

16686429807234152542685053751292.jpg16686430164386860467231263619271.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you want to be posting details of postal addresses, email addresses and mobile numbers on a public forum mate. :thumbsdown:

Back