EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

I recently emigrated to Australia and took my 2017 T6 206ps t32 with me. Love my van.

Erg pipe has gone. Just been quoted £245 for the pipe and gaskets and 3 hours labour £355 to do the job at my local VW commercial service centre.

What a rip off given the part cost in UK and a 30 min job at most.

Might need to order from UK and do it myself.

Amazing.

I've got the fitting down to 4 minutes :cool:
just been quoted 3 hours labour at a VW service centre. will do it myself.

I take it you need to be 'in the trade' to order from TPS?

As expected. With limited tools and working from the top only I was able to remove, inspect and put back on the ERG pipe in around 30 min. The 3 hours quoted by VW is disgusting given they will do these all the time and will have good knowledge on the best way to remove.

The pipe was cracked ked in the first ripple as many others have been. I have used an exhaust repair puttey to patch until I can order a replacement. It looks to have temporarily solved the issue.

My Caravelle has now had the pipe replaced, its made a massive difference to noise levels - it's so much quieter. Hopefully fuel economy will increase a bit too.

Took them several hours to replace the pipe, and quite a bit of skin according to the mechanic! I had the DSG service done at the same time.

I reckon the 3hrs quoted by VW above is to allow for the worst case, IE a Caravelle DSG BiTdi. On a non DSG, non caravelle it's probably a 30 min job.

My Caravelle has now had the pipe replaced, its made a massive difference to noise levels - it's so much quieter. Hopefully fuel economy will increase a bit too.

Took them several hours to replace the pipe, and quite a bit of skin according to the mechanic! I had the DSG service done at the same time.

I reckon the 3hrs quoted by VW above is to allow for the worst case, IE a Caravelle DSG BiTdi. On a non DSG, non caravelle it's probably a 30 min job.
Nah I think its still a piss take personally. Mine is the DSG as well. I had a Halfords advance socket set as my only help. 3 of the fixings were pretty easy to remove and only the one partly blocked by the DSG oil cooler was a pain. Needed to use the flexi knuckle to get a degree of movement.

My take is if a garage (eg. a vw service centre) is used to changing these out then it's not a long process at all.

I am looking at the rear egr valve (as best I can) It looks like it it is the new style pipe (fatter with the rough rather than smooth exterior). Whereas the front pipe looks pretty shiny (as does the egr valve) the back pipe is dark brown/black colour. I think I am getting fumes in the cab. Not got round to checing for leaks ye, but would this pipe normally stay pretty shiny (being stainless steel)

trying spotting leaks. HTe smell of exhaust fumes in the engine bay and also in the cab when the fan is on is pretty high. is there anywhere else exhaust gases can leak from? No leak obvious when trying to locate earlier. Would it be a good idea to remove it, inspect, and - if no fualt found - refit it again? Or is it best to renew gaskets etc if refitting?

trying spotting leaks. HTe smell of exhaust fumes in the engine bay and also in the cab when the fan is on is pretty high. is there anywhere else exhaust gases can leak from? No leak obvious when trying to locate earlier. Would it be a good idea to remove it, inspect, and - if no fualt found - refit it again? Or is it best to renew gaskets etc if refitting?
Apply washing up liquid and water solution to the pipe while the engine is running, best done cold. It will bubble if leaking.

Tried soap and water. No bubbles, but can't see the underside of the rear pipe.
Is there anything else that can cause/leak fumes?
Also getting the 'insufficient gas flow' error code
The rear egr is the updated version. Have there been reports of the updated one splitting?

Does anyone know the latest part number? Guy at VW parts on the phone said it would depend if i had ever had the turbo replaced (dont believe it ever has).......i has seen an image earlier in this thread but it shows multiple? Are they the same for all engines or vary? mine is a lowly 105. Thanks

Does anyone know the latest part number? Guy at VW parts on the phone said it would depend if i had ever had the turbo replaced (dont believe it ever has).......i has seen an image earlier in this thread but it shows multiple? Are they the same for all engines or vary? mine is a lowly 105. Thanks
As somebody posted recently the bi-turbo assembly comes complete with the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold is now modified compared with the original so the EGR pipe feeding the EGR is also different to the original.
Somewhere along the line the VW environmental waste strategy seems to have been overlooked.
If VW Parts Dept have your vans VIN and the turbo ass’y has never been replaced it should be straightforward.

Went to VW parts today, part in stock so thought I have have a go during lunch….15min start to finish…. Easy with a set of long splines, 1/2 inch ratchet and bendy wrists
Have added an image of the parts list for the job, apparently this is correct for all vans that do not have revised turbos fitted.
V04L131521BH - pipe
VN91026802 - bolt x 2
VN91046101 - bolt x 2
V03L131547F - gasket
V04L131547S - gasketIMG_7625.jpegIMG_7628.jpegIMG_7626.jpeg

I'm still not sure if I have this problem but my cab smells whenever the van is doing a regen ... higher revs etc and bad smell in the cab.
no smell whatsoever on start-up or normal driving no hissing sound. but a bad exhaust-type smell during a regen, it is bad then! It is enough to make me feel sick if it is cold out and the fans are on trying to keep the cab warm it's almost intolerable.

If at a standstill you do get a WiF of it. Yes they do stink while doing one but you be able shouldn't smell it while driving around.

I found that when its dark lift the bonnet, and shine a torch from your phone you can see the exhaust fumes.. i then put my hand around the pipe,, not when it was running for a while , from cold and found the culprit

Normal diesel fumes make your eyes sting aswell. I would do what mcmain12 says. Also check underneath aswell as a slight hole in the exhaust near the engine would bring fumes up.

Slightly off topic (ish) but with parts of my vans engine and other areas being difficult to see and also my wife's Ford Ranger had some issues with EGR and a hose leak where it was difficult to see, I bought this Endoscope which connects to my phone or tablet. It really helped get to the areas that I couldn't get to with my phone camera.

Endoscope

Slightly off topic (ish) but with parts of my vans engine and other areas being difficult to see and also my wife's Ford Ranger had some issues with EGR and a hose leak where it was difficult to see, I bought this Endoscope which connects to my phone or tablet. It really helped get to the areas that I couldn't get to with my phone camera.

Endoscope
Great idea !

Just had mine done today, It was the rear EGR pipe split , Work carried out under extended warranty 2018 4 Motion 204 . circa 38K mileage .
When I first noticed it I thought it was other vehicles and eventually realised it was mine. Tried booking it in at main dealer in November found its quicker getting a doctors appointment on the NHS . Think I waited 6 weeks. Although they did suggest that I should call breakdown as strong fuel smell in cab is considered a danger. I just didnt use the heater, it was occasionally I could smell it but it was a getting progressively worse .
I needed the van so planned a suitable date, at the time I didnt know what was causing it but reading on here it was pointing towards the EGR pipe either front or rear being split. Tried to confirm this by looking to see if it was leaking but didnt see anything. I was told they also clean and wash out the EGR at the same time part of the cost of replacement under warranty so happy days. Would have been £504 if I had paid
Van feels much more responsive now as well. Never know it might even improve fuel usage

Back