EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

22mm/24mm od? Polylock comes in at 25mm id, others 22 and 24mm. I don't know what the corrugations are supposed to achieve as they are in no way flexible as borne out by the cracking.

22mm/24mm od? Polylock comes in at 25mm id, others 22 and 24mm. I don't know what the corrugations are supposed to achieve as they are in no way flexible as borne out by the cracking.
24mm+ as not exactly round. 25 mm by the flange.

25mm polylock flexible pipe should suit that to a T. Cut the elbow off so that there is a short stub, as long a stub as possible on the corrugated end then you can clamp it together with no need for welding even - possibly:D. The Polylock will permit torsion also removing all stresses on the length of it. I will have to wait for mine to fail before I try it out.

25mm polylock flexible pipe should suit that to a T. Cut the elbow off so that there is a short stub, as long a stub as possible on the corrugated end then you can clamp it together with no need for welding even - possibly:D. The Polylock will permit torsion also removing all stresses on the length of it. I will have to wait for mine to fail before I try it out.
the seem to fail around 35K ish?

Replaced by hand from the top of the car... Youtube turtorial helped...need to have small ratchet, long arms and nerves of steel and I replaced it in 40min

View attachment 113823
What’s with the over length cap head bolt? Do VW supply that, that looks like it will be a pain in the arse to remove once the protruding threads are rusted up.

Yes that is why Youtube tutorial helped me and I spray it with rust remover to help me with this... yes this is what VW give you. longer bolts than needed...

Yes that is why Youtube tutorial helped me and I spray it with rust remover to help me with this... yes this is what VW give you. longer bolts than needed...
I think I’d be cutting those to the correct length before fitting then, plus some anti seize grease.

Found the problem EGR flexi pipe it has a crack in it it's the one at the back of the engine unit it's the smaller one I feel the hot air coming out of it.

Next question where can I get this part from please can anyone help

Found the problem EGR flexi pipe it has a crack in it it's the one at the back of the engine unit it's the smaller one I feel the hot air coming out of it.

Next question where can I get this part from please can anyone help
Only original exist... you need to buy from local VW shop...

Just an update, managed to fix the EGR flexi pipe today all working great now ever the air intake in the van smells so fresh, bit of a job getting one bolt out but steady away and I got it out and back in again.
Cost for all parts ie flexi pipe, gaskets and screws £153 from VW.
Thank you all for the great advice I'm made up with you for helping me out.
Cheers

Me too…. 2016 204DSG - Rear ESG pipe split and being replaced today at the dealers. Approx 60,000 miles.

I have reported this on the DVLA website, as I believe it is a safety fault and should be fixed under recall. The fumes leak into the vehicle which is a safety issue. The part has been redesigned by VW, so clearly the original part was faulty, as so many failures have led to a redesign.

I would suggest that everyone who can registers the details fo their failure on the UK DVLA website - more posts with evidence of failure of this poorly designed part will force them to do something, might get a recall or at least some discount / repayment on previous repairs / parts.

Dealer agreed a large discount on replacing the part today.

Explained that this was a safety issue, especially as many people may now be suffering from loss of smell so may not detect the fumes in the cab (hay fever knocks out my sense of smell, and what about Covid…!).

Clearly a poorly designed / manufactured part. Strongly suggest you report to DVSA and make sure your dealer knows you’re not happy…

Reactions: DXX
Back