EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

You don’t want a smelly egg pipe. :whistle:

I’ve not done enough miles to check the MPG, but I did see an improvement in performance after the (front) leaking EGR pipe was replaced.

I had the rear EGR pipe replaced under warranty about 2,000 miles ago.
Was driving along yesterday and became conscious that the engine was noticeably noisier under acceleration.
Stopped and had a look and nothing seen but it was noisier for sure from the drivers side of the engine.
Carried on and became pretty aware of fumes in the cab.
So, now it’s cold I’m off out to see what the problem is......if I can.
Do people normally ring VW Assist for this sort of thing? Or just book it in at the dealers for them to look?
Either front egr pipe or exhaust manifold are my 2 guesses.

I had the rear EGR pipe replaced under warranty about 2,000 miles ago.
Was driving along yesterday and became conscious that the engine was noticeably noisier under acceleration.
Stopped and had a look and nothing seen but it was noisier for sure from the drivers side of the engine.
Carried on and became pretty aware of fumes in the cab.
So, now it’s cold I’m off out to see what the problem is......if I can.
Do people normally ring VW Assist for this sort of thing? Or just book it in at the dealers for them to look?
Either front egr pipe or exhaust manifold are my 2 guesses.
Fumes in the cab is a safety / health hazard, VW Assist is probably the quickest solution. There have been design improvements on the original pipe.

Fumes in the cab is a safety / health hazard, VW Assist is probably the quickest solution. There have been design improvements on the original pipe.
I’ve got the new design on the rear EGR pipe.
Pretty sure the front one isn’t leaking.
Noise seems to be coming from the rear so poss manifold.
Got my arm round the back but couldn’t feel anything blowing when her indoors revved it-except for a burnt hand.
I’m doing a 5 mile trip tomoz to ride the mtb so I’ll recheck then.
Gonna put my carbon monoxide detector in the front with me too.
Then it’s VW assist I guess.
If they don’t find anything do I get charged for a wasted trip-never called them before.

I’ve got the new design on the rear EGR pipe.
Pretty sure the front one isn’t leaking.
Noise seems to be coming from the rear so poss manifold.
Got my arm round the back but couldn’t feel anything blowing when her indoors revved it-except for a burnt hand.
I’m doing a 5 mile trip tomoz to ride the mtb so I’ll recheck then.
Gonna put my carbon monoxide detector in the front with me too.
Then it’s VW assist I guess.
If they don’t find anything do I get charged for a wasted trip-never called them before.
Have a look at the VW site, as far as I’m aware it’s free within warranty but best check.
I don’t remember any leaking exhaust manifold issues on this forum but loads of EGR pipe fractures, might be worth telling them you have a raging head ache and almost passed out, that might grab them by the short and curlies.

For those who change the EGR bypass pipe, what kind of hardware and tools did you use... the past weekend I try with my big ass wrench, but is impossible to move it there... I even try to hug on the motor, with one hand for each side... no luck.

What you recommend for the job?

Regards!

Been reading this....very helpful. Here’s an image of my pipe from turbo to EGR. See the black soot around the bottom right and over the gasket tab. Does that look like the same issue? I have the warning light and a smell of fumes in the cab sometimes on startup. Hissing in the engine bay and also an exhaust smell.
99EC9A4B-C839-48A4-91E9-8FAFD8599C20.jpeg

2D98CABB-C168-4758-B46F-888BD5EC8179.jpeg

@Robert thanks for the confirmation. Thought as much. Sounds like I’ll have to get this from VW dealers as TPS is closed for normal customers at the moment. Hopefully it’s not too much more expensive!!

Look below the orange intake hose, right rear of engine.
Eventually found it with help of an inspection mirror, no chance to see it otherwise. Looks good, can't see any obvious signs of soot but I do get a wiff at start up.

Any tips on removal and refitting of this pipe? I’ve been at it for a few hours and can’t get anything in to remove the two bolts holding it to the turbo. I’ve got the two off the egr side. I’m doing it from the front of the van but there’s so little clearance to get a hand in to guide and control a socket. Assuming this is how it’s been done and not from underneath? Any tips on what to use and how to get a tool in there please?

Made some progress, but what a pig of a job!! Don’t know if it’s my engine type (dsg 150) but there’s just so little room to get a hand in and your doing it all blind as it’s hidden behind the engine. Managed to get it off and get the replacement pipe on loose fitted. I’ve been defeated by the last bolt though - the one that goes under the pipe on the turbo side. Just no hand room to control the bolt into the hole. Cold fingers so I’ll have another go tomorrow. Taken me half a day to get this much done.

And here’s the pipe...big crack. What a joke... a clear design fault is not covered by the manufacturer regardless of warranty period. I design bikes and there’s no way we would get away with service like that.

706184A2-688A-4BDD-A67E-640230781B6A.jpeg

Got my new pipe fitted the other day. Very fiddly to do but I am quite slim so managed ok, took maybe 1.5hrs. No fume smell in my cab now and probably 7/8 more miles to the gallon.
My pipe was split in the same place.

Got my new pipe fitted the other day. Very fiddly to do but I am quite slim so managed ok, took maybe 1.5hrs. No fume smell in my cab now and probably 7/8 more miles to the gallon.
My pipe was split in the same place.
Looking at the access its a pig of a job! I have the 204 engine so access isn't so easy

Back