EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Yeah that’s the one. Mines a pig wee machine Euro 6. I’m told that the Euro 5 cooler is an hour’s work to replace but the Euro 6 is pretty much a day.

I noticed my old EGR cooler was shaking a bit. I've got a video I'll try and upload. Basically if I touched the rubber pipe near the top I could make the vibrating noise go away. When it had all cooled down I noticed that two of the bolts were missing that hold the cooler to the engine. These:
o M6 though.
a cracked manifold or such. And was of course the EGR pipe.

View attachment 87964
View attachment 87965

The more I look at these failures I think about using a section of Polylock stainless exhaust pipe, that is what I will attempt when mine bites the dust. That would be far more flexible than the VW effort. The OD of the VW pipe would need to be 20mm, 22mm, 25mm, 28mm or 30mm to be able to use it.

poly.PNG

That is not a bad suggestion at all - especially as the part that a lot of people reference is about £120 with gaskets. How much would the pipe cost to do this? I guess you could weld on to the existing flanges etc.

25mm was £16/m in the last price list I had - maybe closer to £20/m now. Exhaust clamps and exhaust assembly paste would solve the welding problem. Easy enough to get a gastight joint with it.

Here’s the link to the form to report a serious defect to DVSA, this is possibly the only way a recall will be forced on VW and you get the replacement EGR pipes for free.
If everybody with a failed pipe does it there might be some action.

Has anybody completed and returned one of these forms? Looking at the information required it looks like 10 minutes work, this is probably the only solution other than paying out hard earned cash to VAG.

It was same as last picture the smaller one mechanic fixed it out another new one on he seems to think wasn’t fitted correct like not seated properly which would cause it to vibrate
And it’s a new egr also

Just had my third pipe replaced (previous 2 under warranty) except they fitted the latest cast one, out of warranty and found on MOT so had to let them take £200 off me to get it through the MOT there and then as it’s my everyday car. Just completed 96000 miles, 204 bhp dsg...I tried to get them to replace it foc as it’s the 3rd one but no joy...robbing bastards

0B74EE99-5843-4524-AA00-4C08ADEE1DC9.jpeg

Just had my third pipe replaced (previous 2 under warranty) except they fitted the latest cast one, out of warranty and found on MOT so had to let them take £200 off me to get it through the MOT there and then as it’s my everyday car. Just completed 96000 miles, 204 bhp dsg...I tried to get them to replace it foc as it’s the 3rd one but no joy...robbing bastards

View attachment 90416
It’s a safety defect see:
Has anybody completed and returned one of these forms? Looking at the information required it looks like 10 minutes work, this is probably the only solution other than paying out hard earned cash to VAG.

Another split EGR, and fumes in the cab.

Another new EGR was with the courier to be delivered elsewhere for someone else. Clearly a design/manufacturer fault.7F84E48D-4888-4D19-9245-8C87C70225E3.jpeg

Another split EGR, and fumes in the cab.

Another new EGR was with the courier to be delivered elsewhere for someone else. Clearly a design/manufacturer fault.View attachment 90748
Hi ... Post #113 Show a different version to the above picture...assuming it’s a modified part and would have a new part number...do you know If that is the case.... want to avoid ordering the older unit so that if and when mine fails I fit the correct version
many thanks :thumbsup:

Sorry to sound daft which engine is this on I know it’s been a bit of a vag weakness for years

The cream crackered serial number 04L131521 H V252

I would have taken a photo, but a) it’s dark, b) I don’t know where it is in the engine

Submitted mine

Reactions: DXX
That pipe now has a revised part number.
Those of you who had the cracked pipe problem, has the EGR valve been replaced in the vans history? My theory is when the EGR cooler has been removed for replacement prior to the EGR flush option being available, it was removed then refitted under tension, or even the fixings loosening off as the fixings were not replace/torqued which could be causing the cracks to form either by stress on the pipe due to tension, or the cooler working loose due to a fitting issue? Discuss.......

Back