EGR Blanking

Chris J

T6 Pro
I've just seen and ad for a egr blanking plate which simply fits between the egr valve and the exhaust , claims are better fuel consumption increased performance and smoother acceleration, tho it states that none of this is guaranteed .
Worth a punt ? only a few quid , any thoughts ?

I had one on my T4. Definitely an improvement. May have emissions implications on a T6, I don't know. You're probably better off with a remap. This should blank it off electronically.

Think blanking it would be a future MOT failure, i think VOSA are already implementing fines for garages offering this service and dont think it will be long before dpf/egr removal will become part of an MOT test

I had an egr fault on my T5.1 ,RAC guy rang vw technical and.asked if he could blank it off ,until I could get to dealers ,they said he couldn't do it .

The claims are a bit optimistic but it will stop all that nasty soot being fed back into the inlet manifold to help reduce NOx. If you did fit it you would get an engine management warning as it would recognise that less volume of air/exhaust gas has been supplied to the cylinders than expected (it knows what has been through the MAF and looks for additional quantity to be supplied through the EGR circuit).

I don't mind catalysts, DPFs and SCR............EGRs are just wrong!

Hi Guis
completly agree that EGR is absolute nonsense and it is the part of the "change your car as soon as possible for new one" strategy.
If they wanna decrease NOx they should find better solution that, putting already burned junk, back to a clean engine... -> Lower amount of air = less power => push the pedal more = put more Diesel in => MORE POLUTION...
someone trie to complain.... I am keen on read the arguments...
bullshit - it is all moneytalk...

Back to topick.
Blanking the pipe is not a solution... You ll get the engine lite on..
there must be a solution Like EGR OFF for older models.. which disables the part of ECU checking mechanism... I did it on my 2007 BMW.. the car was like new, after the mod ... 1liter/100km less, no black smoke...awesome..
If someone knows the way how to do it on new 2017/2016 T6... I will be glad to test it and write 100% bullet prove procedure..
nice day folks

Most of them, speak to TRD in Stroud
Not heard of anyone doing that before, interesting.
Would love a remap but waiting for warranty to run out.
Edit : Just looked at TRD's FB page, impressive stuff, can't believe I have not heard of them before...

i can't remember which original thread i saw this, or if this is the right place to post.

Apparently a few engine complete destructions were caused by EGR failure injecting coolant straight into the engine.
even happen to a an erly review of the t6
Volkswagen T6 Transporter (2015 on)
"2-12-2016: Total failure of 2.0 TDI 102 engine of 10 week old 2016 T6 camper reported due to failure of EGR valve causing coolant to be drawn into the block."

anyway, what steps could be done in the future post warranty to reduce risk of this happening:
- regular swap for a new EGR every year/2 years/mileage?
- find a replacement (new part number less prone to failure / egr from other VW model / better after market part?)

opinions please :) thanks

yes, i will do that.
but still, i'd rather have planned preventive maintenance for a few hours and no stress than surprise blow out and van immobilised for a week or more!
anyway i plan to keep my van for more than 5 years, so what do you do after the extended warranty runs out?

i can't remember which original thread i saw this, or if this is the right place to post.

Apparently a few engine complete destructions were caused by EGR failure injecting coolant straight into the engine.
even happen to a an erly review of the t6
Volkswagen T6 Transporter (2015 on)
"2-12-2016: Total failure of 2.0 TDI 102 engine of 10 week old 2016 T6 camper reported due to failure of EGR valve causing coolant to be drawn into the block."

anyway, what steps could be done in the future post warranty to reduce risk of this happening:
- regular swap for a new EGR every year/2 years/mileage?
- find a replacement (new part number less prone to failure / egr from other VW model / better after market part?)

opinions please :) thanks
That's probably the EGR cooler failing as opposed to the EGR valve sticking. I certainly wouldn't be replacing the EGR and cooler assembly as a preventative maintenance measure, it's a big job and they won't be cheap.

Hi I’ve got egr problem I heard it can be blanked off remapped no problem and it won’t damage the DPF. Has anyone done this?

I think EGR blanking is now an MOT fail, I wouldn't go there. In any case the engine and its ancillaries was designed to work in conjunction with exhaust gas recirculation.
I'd look at getting the EGR problem sorted.

Surely it’d wreak havoc with the AdBlue aswell, as they work in conjunction to reduce NOx.

EGR is a very nasty thing to the old engine
Well the VW ones are I would definitely remove it if I new it would get pass a mot

Back