Everythings going wrong! EGR pipes and sticking inlet manfold flap valves link?

Hi all, first time poster but quickly getting used to garage bills and reading this forum!

So I bought my 2016 T6 a few months ago. I discovered the rear egr pipe was split so replaced it. I then started to get an eml with the P2006 intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank 1A code.

I wouldn't get any performance issues so I cleared the code and put some intake cleaner in. Problem seemed to go away.

Then...driving one day and the eml reappears with the same code but won't clear, keeps coming back, then a bang and limp mode.

Took it to the garage and the front egr pipe had failed. Replaced and back up and running again. No repeat of the stuck inlet flap valves code yet but only one day in.

Could the front egr pipe leaking have caused the P2006 code or are they totally separate issues? Or could the flap valves being stuck have caused the egr pipe to fail? I'm worried if stuck flap valves are linked to this that the new egr pipe will fail. Hoping to avoid a new inlet manifold as I'm all out of cash now.

Thought very welcome. Thanks

As far as I’m aware there‘s no reason why the original can’t be cleaned, no need to renew.

I guess it's a gamble cleaning it and putting it all back together to find it's still sticking
If it operates freely by hand it will operate freely by actuator. The issue is it cost nothing to quote NEW.
It’s not like it costs time either, leave it to soak while you get on with another job.

Yeah it doesn't operate freely with the actuator or by hand. The actuators trying but no movement. I have taken it to my local garage as although I'm ok with basic repairs it looks like a lot has to come off to get to it. Can't find any guide online but guessing it's front end off, radiator etc?

The garage can't do the inlet manifold replacement for another week or so. Vans just sitting in their carpark at present ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I never found any guidance on the work in way to replace it or I may have considered it myself.

The garage can't do the inlet manifold replacement for another week or so. Vans just sitting in their carpark at present ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I never found any guidance on the work in way to replace it or I may have considered it myself.
Access to workshop guides etc. is reserved for VIP members I'm afraid.

What engine type is yours?
(Post up a photo of the build label from under the steering column)

Ebay for the workshop manuals cough cough

Crankcase breather and the EGR.. How many miles was that?

100k. Unsure what the crankcase breather is and how that or the egr could cause that if you wouldnt mind explaining? Hoping to avoid it happening again.

Both egr pipes were split and probably leaking for some time before I bought the van if that could have caused it?

100k. Unsure what the crankcase breather is and how that or the egr could cause that if you wouldnt mind explaining? Hoping to avoid it happening again.

Both egr pipes were split and probably leaking for some time before I bought the van if that could have caused it?
There is a pipe that connects the crankcase to the inlet. It is there to consume the oil Vapor from the engine and mix it into engine to burn it up. This vapor condenses in the charge cooler or intercooler and in the plastic manifold. The EGR gasses also feed into the manifold and that whole sticky mess collects in the manifold as per your photos.

Ok thanks. Is there anything that can be done about the crankcase breather to stop buildup? Or is it just more poor design like the egr? Struggling to see what I can do to stop this happening again.

I was just researching this on the forum but can't see that anyone has actually fitted one. I assume a catch tank on the crankcase breather pipe wouldn't stop the build up grom the egr, just less vapour in the inlet manifold from the crankcase?

Back