Door Seal Rust

Same problem with mine. Its where we all drag our shoes, boots etc over it as we get out of the van. Dealer told me they wouldn't change as part of the warranty .

3000 miles on my van and i've got the same problem
cant wait for a verbal tussle next week with the dealer

Same problem with mine. Its where we all drag our shoes, boots etc over it as we get out of the van. Dealer told me they wouldn't change as part of the warranty .
Apparently some dealers are pulling that ploy but others are accepting it. If they try the none warranty bit with me it'll be my legal insurance who they'll be dealing with.

On the diagram above the Red bit is rounded off, repainted and a new seal fitted. I am told it was the object of a recall in Germany and I have reached out to a German mate to see if he can get the recall details.

After reading this thread, I decided to check mine and found this issue on both front doors of my kombi, passenger side much worse than driver's side.
I will point this out when my van goes i for service in 500 miles time. I will also point out the engine management light that came on on Saturday and the intermittent rear parking sensor fault.

Where the seal has split, pull back the seal to seperate and have a look inside. There is a metal strip inside.
At first I thought it was the bodywork but VW dealer assured me it was the metal inside the seal rusting due to the split and water ingress.
They replaced the seal at no cost to me and showed me the damaged internal strip.
Now I have to be careful getting in/out. I have even thought of putting something over the seal onto the step.
Good luck.
Scot
I repaired mine myself, I cleaned the area with wd40, allowed to dry and then filled the area with black silicone sealant and used some sticky tape to hold the seal together until it dried, has been fine ever since , however I am careful getting in and out of the van not to step on this area

Just an update chaps, took mine to the dealer who although had seen others like it, maintained it wasn't covered under warranty. Apparently I must be getting in & out of it incorrectly, I pointed out that my T5.1 with 50k miles on it is perfect & I get in & out of that a dozen times a day with work boots on, it went a bit quiet at that point. Anyway, the dealer said to contact VW customer service, which I did & they covered it, so all done. Don't know how long it will last though.

Had mine done under warranty but I had a push for it! Anyway, got it back and they've made a right a*se of it! I had a close look when I was cleaning it out and smelt a rat....something didn't look quite right! Basically I think the technician/clown has tried to fit the front step first, then refit the door seal.....well it won't have it! I've just pulled the thing apart and it looks to me like you refit the door seal first, THEN refit the step carefully! You've to tease the seal back in to place but I've just pulled it apart to inspect the carnage.....smashed plastic trim screws underneath and a deformed/sprained step/crushed reinforcement on underside of seal.....blah, blah, blah! The clown took a load of trim off that he didn't need to.....they took 3 hours over it....I did it in 30 mins! I've been on to them and asked for another seal.....another step and another dashboard end piece! Give me strength!:thumbsdown:

Have the same problem on my 66 Kombi. Dealer said not covered by warranty - but a common problem!! Currently in ongoing "discussion" with them !!!!!
Ring VW customer services, they sorted mine straight away & instructed the dealer to change it.

Visited my local VW dealership yesterday and they refused to do it under warranty. I was told they’d put numerous claims in for the same thing and they’d all got kicked back. I’m going to ring VW customer services today to see what they say.
Shy teds

Visited my local VW dealership yesterday and they refused to do it under warranty. I was told they’d put numerous claims in for the same thing and they’d all got kicked back. I’m going to ring VW customer services today to see what they say.
Shy teds

that sucks, which franchise is that ?

Just been on to VW customer services, I’ve to take my van to another dealership for a ‘second opinion’. Anyone had any thing sorted at Liverpool or Manchester as they’re my nearest dealerships.

It was Preston that said they wouldn’t even put it in as warranty to VW. I’d have to pay and then they would try to claim it back......yeah right !

Amazes me how different dealers treat customers, fair enough I never bought my van directly from them, but it’s been there for services and any bits and bobs I’ve bought from them. Flaps touch up pens etc.

Just been on to VW customer services, I’ve to take my van to another dealership for a ‘second opinion’. Anyone had any thing sorted at Liverpool or Manchester as they’re my nearest dealerships.

It was Preston that said they wouldn’t even put it in as warranty to VW. I’d have to pay and then they would try to claim it back......yeah right !

Amazes me how different dealers treat customers, fair enough I never bought my van directly from them, but it’s been there for services and any bits and bobs I’ve bought from them. Flaps touch up pens etc.

Both my seals were split. Van was due for Service @ Manchester - so of course asked for the seals to be replaced. Instant response was it's not a warranty item - 'last dozen or so have not been warranty approved'.

Their reasoning "unlike the Germans we are getting in our vans incorrectly. You should put your foot on the marked plate and then pull yourself into the van using the handle on the pillar". Kid you not!

I argued it had to be a design fault if there are so many, but they referred to the above. Anyway, they said they would look at it and report back - report was both seals need replacing but they gave me a quote of circa £450 to replace!!!

So I sent Customer Services an e-mail. Very polite it was, I took the trouble of quoting every instance in this thread where a dealer had replaced under warranty, or Customer Services had got involved and approved. Argument was if I were to 'escalate' via other routes it would put VW in a very difficult position whereby they would need to answer/justify why they are treating customers differently etc. Result was - I've just this minute got back from VW Manchester with 2 new door seals at no cost.

Despite what they say there clearly is a design issue, but as there are so many fails I assume they're reluctant to replace due to cost etc - not a good stance...

I’ll go down the email route too I think. Worth a try.
I got quoted £180 fitted for the seal, £67 for the seal and the rest labour.

Thanks @ahappychappie

Mine goes into VW tomorrow, I have told them I want mine replaced under warranty, will see what happens.

Both my seals were split. Van was due for Service @ Manchester - so of course asked for the seals to be replaced. Instant response was it's not a warranty item - 'last dozen or so have not been warranty approved'.

Their reasoning "unlike the Germans we are getting in our vans incorrectly. You should put your foot on the marked plate and then pull yourself into the van using the handle on the pillar". Kid you not!

I argued it had to be a design fault if there are so many, but they referred to the above. Anyway, they said they would look at it and report back - report was both seals need replacing but they gave me a quote of circa £450 to replace!!!

So I sent Customer Services an e-mail. Very polite it was, I took the trouble of quoting every instance in this thread where a dealer had replaced under warranty, or Customer Services had got involved and approved. Argument was if I were to 'escalate' via other routes it would put VW in a very difficult position whereby they would need to answer/justify why they are treating customers differently etc. Result was - I've just this minute got back from VW Manchester with 2 new door seals at no cost.

Despite what they say there clearly is a design issue, but as there are so many fails I assume they're reluctant to replace due to cost etc - not a good stance...
VW customer services tried the “you must be getting in & out wrong” line with me. I pointed out that I also owned a 50k mile/4 year old/T5.1 that I use every day for work & the door seals are perfect . It all went a bit quiet then, after a long pause they came back & told me to take it back to the dealers & they would cover it.

Had my o/s seal replaced today under warranty- service rep told me it was an ongoing problem

Had mine done under warranty.....great I thought.....until I got my van back and saw that the clown who'd replaced it had smashed my trim and step to f*ck! Ironically, when it was redone and all the damaged trim replaced, the technician who did it properly told me that the Neanderthal who did it first time drives a T5 so should've known better!!! Seriously....I'm convinced that they think "it's only a van"!!! I cannot believe the lack of consistency across VW and the dealer network....and that goes for everything!:mad:

Back