Door Seal Rust

I will get it changed under warranty but my worry is that the replacement will fail when my warranty has run out.
Anyone know if they have modified the seal?

Iv noticed on here that people have had rust coming through the door seals, Iv had the same problem and the Volkswagen dealer have stated it’s not covered by warranty. What’s happened with other people vans?
Having the same problem with split door seal and rusted metal strip on both nearside and Offside. 2017 van with 20k on clock immaculate. VW have informed me not covered by warranty. Have appealed decision through customer services prior to making claim through small claims court. This is a well documented issue and I`m bemused as to why VW have such difficulty in accepting their responsibility with regards parts not fit for purpose. Would welcome info from others who have been successful in getting the defect corrected. It would help to know if this has been under warranty or so called dealership good will.
If they don`t resolve my claim I will update later on small claims court progress to enable other to resolve without having to take the same action.

Mine is booked for Wednesday. Sent the dealer so photos, they sent them to VW who confirmed it will be under warranty.
However, they want the van for 2 days to try and establish why they have corroded. That’ll be 8 days in the last two months I’ve been in a courtesy vehicle - but at least windows replaced and currently water tight

Looking at mine after they'd changed the driver door seal on warranty, I noticed that the trim is dislodged on both sides of the vehicle at the rear of the sliding doors so I'm assuming they have changed all the door rubbers

Had my done under warranty......or it might have been dealer goodwill.....not bothered, it was done FOC! Took two attempts because the knuckle dragger who did it first time also managed to smash all my trim to f*ck when he refitted it all with a lump hammer......I wouldn't mind, he was a T5 owner.....anyway, I digress. Mine wasn't rust coming through.....it was that the seal had split and the metal reinforcement had begun to rust.....not the bodywork. I am sick and tired of having to battle over issues that would be covered by any reasonable manufacturer......currently fighting my latest battle over paint bubbling around rear off side arch! Love my van......but absolutely f*cking detest VW's cavalier attitude because we are "merely" van drivers!!!!:mad:

Mine is booked for Wednesday. Sent the dealer so photos, they sent them to VW who confirmed it will be under warranty.
However, they want the van for 2 days to try and establish why they have corroded. That’ll be 8 days in the last two months I’ve been in a courtesy vehicle - but at least windows replaced and currently water tight
Very helpful, thanks for taking the time to respond.

VW have obviously used sub standard materials and or suppliers, the metal spring inside the rubber should be stainless steel and or rubber of better quality. mines the caravelle and is used for long trips so doesn't get much "step" use . This is the sort of thing you used to see on British Leyland vehicles

Thanks for everyones assistance.
VW have now seen the light and agreed to replace the seals at no cost to myself, albeit as a goodwill gesture rather than under warranty.
It`s a shame they feel the need to be so difficult with customers when the design is clearly not fit for purpose. I`m indifferent to the name they apply to the work, but under the circumstances `goodwill` seems to be stretching it a bit.
Hope others experience less aggravation than I have when sorting similar problems. Should it be required I`m sure the content of this thread would go someway to satisfying a court that VW would be unreasonable in declining a claim under warranty. Thanks again.

After reading this thread and checking mine, I’ve become the latest member to the rust club.

As I was in the dealers today I mentioned it and when I collected the van they said they’ve ordered parts under warranty. No questions asked.

Booked in for tomorrow. They need the van for two days to “test” and find out the cause. Will let you all know the result of their extensive investigations

Door seal replaced under warranty. They did a “water test” for the whole morning apparently and couldn’t fault the seal. Strange then the van is still as dirty as when I took it in. Don’t know quite what this 4hr water test actually entails. Had vaxed the seats two days before it went in and the gave it back with a filthy passenger seat. Why would they go anywhere near the passenger seat to change a drivers door seal?

My November 16 drivers door seal did the same, it was replaced no quibble under warranty but service Dood said it was caused by being stepped on and twisting to get in.

I took mine in to my dealer (Lookers in Carlisle) last month with the same issue, and even when I told them that I knew other people had had them replaced under warranty they told me they'd asked VW and had been told that they couldn't do it under warranty - they claimed it was just because it is the area it is normally stood on when getting in and out, and that if I wanted it sorted I'd have to buy a new one at over a hundred quid.... Not chuffed...

Is anyone else in the North West that's had it replaced under warranty, so I can go to that dealer instead?

Thanks!

If its changed under warranty is it replaced by something of better quality ?

Mine was changed under warranty no questions asked and it appears to be the same style as the previous one just without the tear and rust.

I spoke to manchester vw and they told me its not covered under warranty..Vans just 2 yrs old!

Preston VW refused to do mine under warranty. Even though it’s done it on both sides and passenger side isn’t used a great deal. Mines a camper so not had any work boots trampling on it.

It seems bonkers (and disappointing!) that some get it easily and others are refused - I guess that all the warranty requests from dealers are done in one central VW place that covers the whole of the UK, or is it split in to regions?

Back