Door Seal Rust

Scot

T6 Pro
Whilst cleaning the interior I noticed that the door rubber was not sitting properly along the drivers footwell.
On folding back the rubber I have uncovered rust and quite it looks like it's got a bit of a hold.
Will be returning to VW tomorrow. It really is a pain in the ass as it's been back to them for recalls already.
Might be worry checking on your own door rubbers.
T6 Highline 16 Plate.
Scot.

Probably find its the metal strip in the seal that's rusting had similar on previous VW vans
My old T5 did it when the rubber had been trodden on too much and affected the rubber enough to expose the metal

Yeah, my step mad clip was rusting, thought it was the van itself...but thankfully not

Probably find its the metal strip in the seal that's rusting had similar on previous VW vans
My old T5 did it when the rubber had been trodden on too much and affected the rubber enough to expose the metal
That is exactly what looks like has happened.

Iv noticed on here that people have had rust coming through the door seals, Iv had the same problem and the Volkswagen dealer have stated it’s not covered by warranty. What’s happened with other people vans?

I had rust appearing on what I thought was bodywork at and around the door seal. Turned out to be the metal inside the door seal.
The door seal was split due to standing on the seal getting in and out.
Local VW dealer replaced the seal with no problems. They even kept the seal to show me the rust inside.
Scot

tell me more gents......where and what exactly do you mean? My drivers door seal has split where you have a tendency to place your foot when getting in and out....surely replacing a seal isn't covered by warranty? Sounds like it's not up to the job??

Where the seal has split, pull back the seal to seperate and have a look inside. There is a metal strip inside.
At first I thought it was the bodywork but VW dealer assured me it was the metal inside the seal rusting due to the split and water ingress.
They replaced the seal at no cost to me and showed me the damaged internal strip.
Now I have to be careful getting in/out. I have even thought of putting something over the seal onto the step.
Good luck.
Scot

Reactions: mmi
Where the seal has split, pull back the seal to seperate and have a look inside. There is a metal strip inside.
At first I thought it was the bodywork but VW dealer assured me it was the metal inside the seal rusting due to the split and water ingress.
They replaced the seal at no cost to me and showed me the damaged internal strip.
Now I have to be careful getting in/out. I have even thought of putting something over the seal onto the step.
Good luck.
Scot
Did you have to push hard for the seal replacing Scot.....I've a feeling they'll say I must've caught my Cuban stack heels when getting out!:thumbsup:

Absolutely no problem getting the seal replaced.
Once replaced, watch you're heels:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Absolutely no problem getting the seal replaced.
Once replaced, watch you're heels:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Ha ha....will do mate! I'm sure they'll say it's not covered....but here goes nothing! I'll get it looked at when I take it in for a service.:thumbsup:

Iv first got a reply from the dealer saying it wasn’t a warranty failure and they would not replace the door seal under warranty. The chap dealing with me agreed with me that it was a fault and apologised, although he said that the warranty Clark wouldn’t pass the claim.

After I shared my disappointment with him, possibly slightly heatedly, I got a phone call from Volkswagen customer services the day after who had spoken with the dealer and agreed that it was a failure and they would replace the seal under warranty.

I appreciate that the chap in the dealership didn’t leave it, and he followed it up directly with Volkswagen. Also glad they are going to fix the problem. Iv also noticed, thanks to having a brand new courtesy van, the door seal seens slightly more robust around the foot step. It may be as it’s new, but after messing with it, it’s does seem like you won’t catch with your feet as much. But I don’t wear Cubans!

I'm definitely going to pursue this at service time....in fact, I might ring them first and see if I can get the ball rolling 'cos you can bet ya (stack heeled) boots that if I rock up for a service and only mention it at that point, either they'll refuse point blank or they won't have one in stock. Think I might ring customer services first.

Anything you want to share with us about boots? We are all your friends;)
ha ha.....I'm laughing about this! Cuban heeled boots and stack heels crease me! Trust me, I don't need the lift.....but I'll tell you a little story......here goes: When I was in the FRS, we went to go see a farmer and his brother on an inspection. These two were chalk and cheese....one, the "taller" of the two, really dapper.....picture an agricultural David Dickinson in tweeds (right down to the ronseal antique pine skin tone) but strutting like Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever. The other was more like Johnny Vegas' scruffier brother! They cannot possibly have had the same dad.....they just can't......except for the fact they were twins (mother nature is a cruel mistress!)......but anyway, I happen to glance down to notice that the "dapper don"......AKA "Tony Dickinson" is wearing those "No tell" built up boots where the heel appears to be normal from the outside.....all the lift is hidden within the boot. The giveaway was the unfeasibly....and I do mean unfeasibly, bulbous "bridge" of the boot. Everyone had noticed the Tony Manero strut, but yours truly, taking my observational skills (and x-ray vision) as a Fire Fighter to another level, I'd clocked the hidden stack heels!! Well, you had to be there but once I'd discretely pointed this out to one of my more fashion conscious (but less discrete!) colleagues who wouldn't do his gardening in anything less than "Superdry"....well, let's just say, it became very difficult to concentrate on the task in hand! I suppose you had to be there!! I wouldn't want to portray the image of Fire Fighters as being unprofessional.....we have a slightly off colour sense of humour but when it comes down to it, we get very serious, very quickly!
Look what you made me do @Scot......I've gone off on one again!! Apologies for drifting off subject but @Scot made me do it!!!!:thumbsup:
(PS mate......I don't possess any Cubans......honest!!!;);))

ha ha.....I'm laughing about this! Cuban heeled boots and stack heels crease me! Trust me, I don't need the lift.....but I'll tell you a little story......here goes: When I was in the FRS, we went to go see a farmer and his brother on an inspection. These two were chalk and cheese....one, the "taller" of the two, really dapper.....picture an agricultural David Dickinson in tweeds (right down to the ronseal antique pine skin tone) but strutting like Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever. The other was more like Johnny Vegas' scruffier brother! They cannot possibly have had the same dad.....they just can't......except for the fact they were twins (mother nature is a cruel mistress!)......but anyway, I happen to glance down to notice that the "dapper don"......AKA "Tony Dickinson" is wearing those "No tell" built up boots where the heel appears to be normal from the outside.....all the lift is hidden within the boot. The giveaway was the unfeasibly....and I do mean unfeasibly, bulbous "bridge" of the boot. Everyone had noticed the Tony Manero strut, but yours truly, taking my observational skills (and x-ray vision) as a Fire Fighter to another level, I'd clocked the hidden stack heels!! Well, you had to be there but once I'd discretely pointed this out to one of my more fashion conscious (but less discrete!) colleagues who wouldn't do his gardening in anything less than "Superdry"....well, let's just say, it became very difficult to concentrate on the task in hand! I suppose you had to be there!! I wouldn't want to portray the image of Fire Fighters as being unprofessional.....we have a slightly off colour sense of humour but when it comes down to it, we get very serious, very quickly!
Look what you made me do @Scot......I've gone off on one again!! Apologies for drifting off subject but @Scot made me do it!!!!:thumbsup:
(PS mate......I don't possess any Cubans......honest!!!;);))
I think we FRS brothers have the most warped and most excellent sense of humour going.

Back