Dogs - How Do You Transport Yours?

Ours is always in a crate, she’s been travelling in it since a puppy and doesn’t mind it at all.

Another vote for a crate. My boys share a crate that I bolt to the rear tie down points. As soon as they hear me getting the crate out of the garage they are at the back of the van, tails wagging and bright eyed ready and waiting for the fun times ahead!

I've got 4 whippets so we boxed in our wheel arches for storage.bout two foot up with flaps on top then ply lined rear behind our kombi seats and carpeted the lot then use two old bedding we had then near back hatch door used a big baby gate dogs seam to like it and just enough room for the 4 of them works for us take care all we can beat the virus t6 s for ever .....lol.....

It is a challenge. It doesn't help that we got our dog from the dogs trust and while she is immaculately behaved she has never taken to the crate. I got myself a collapsible crate (albeit a material one - I do sometimes wonder if a completely 'open' metal one would work better) but it's ended up being storage..hahah.

At the moment she sits on the rear seats. She will soon be attached to the seat belt of the rear seat after the first option for that didn't work to well. It does concern me as I just worry about the seat belt attachment, how long to make it, her half jumping off the seat, etc, etc. Maybe it will all become clear when I get the next option :)

We have a little lab puppy, got the van after we lost our last dog. So far he quite likes lying/sitting between the captains chairs. The stoplock gets wedged next to the handbrake so, so far, if he moves while lying down he heads towards the passenger seat or towards the kombi seats

He seems happy there and we like having him with us. Will probably get a harness and attach him to the tie down points but haven't yet because whatever I buy will only fit for a few weeks before he grows out of it

My 2 dogs have harnesses which I attach to the seat belts on the rib bed in the back. They cant go anywhere. I got the seat belt clips from http:mountaindog.uk

Hi, am new to the forum and am thinking of taking the plunge on a new T6.1 T30 Kombi Highline. I’ve got two large dogs that I’d want to carry in the back and was wondering if anywhere does a wired bulkhead that could be fitted behind the rear seats. Thanks in advance.

Can any one advice I have a VW transporter rid bed and kitchen getting installed.i have 2 dogs will they be ok on the floor or can you get something secure to put them in .at present we have a crate in the back but once installation is complete I don't know we're I will keep them safe when traveling

This is a tough one @nuggetwillow.... I’ve been having the same issues myself.

I’m not sure what the law says (official line), but I do think they have to be restrained.... and only right, after all they are members of your family and you want them to be safe too.

The trouble is most flooring is going to be very slippy for them, so maybe a crate/cage on a carpet or rug is the way to go?

My van is a converted panel van to a day van, so I’ve left the bottom half of the bulkhead in and had it carpet lined and finished off with no sharp edges.... this acts like the back of the seats in an estate car. And I’ve got a carpet on top of the genuine rubber floor so it’s not slippery, but I still have to create an area with dog beds and cushions/padding so that it’s not too big and my dog won’t ‘fly’ around?:thumbsup:

Thats my problem too. Waiting on van camper conversion and thought about getting harnesses for the 2 dogs and seat belt clipped restraints to hook onto their harnesses. You can get then to lengthen/shorten. But I dont want them on the rear seats as if they slide off, they`ll be hanging depending on length of the restraint. So, if the restraint was on longest length hopefully they could be on the floor but plugged into the belt buckle. When van arrives I`ll have to work out what length I need.

You need to restrain them with some form of harness from a legal standpoint:

Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

A chest harness on the dog and a seatbelt adapter would be the quickest and safest way. We recently hired a 6m motorhome and clipped our labrador to a floor lashing point as we didn't have any travel seats in the rear. You do then need a non slip surface like a mat as beds or the dog itself will just slide around in the van around the tether point.

I have one in a crate against the back of the front or rear (space in LWB at back) seats and on a non slip mat, the other is on a non slip mat but also attached to RIB bed with dog harness and seatbelt.

Yea the most important thing is my dogs not the van .iv seat belts on the rib 112cm bed .I could always put it into bed mode let them lie on it belted in to there harnesses

You need to restrain them with some form of harness from a legal standpoint:

Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

A chest harness on the dog and a seatbelt adapter would be the quickest and safest way. We recently hired a 6m motorhome and clipped our labrador to a floor lashing point as we didn't have any travel seats in the rear. You do then need a non slip surface like a mat as beds or the dog itself will just slide around in the van around the tether point.

That is a rule not law if the actual act is not quoted where that was copied from. ( Presumably Highway Code ) edit - just checked the police viewpoint:
This is not a legal requirement that is set out in legislation, and so failure to comply with this rule will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted. However, please note that failure to comply with such sections of the Highway Code may still be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts to establish liability.

Anyway, for a seat, full chest harness with a clipping ring point closer to the tail rather than the head then a short strap to the seatbelt with a pukka OEM clip not a flimsy Chinese one AND another strap to the other side of the seat fastened underneath to the rear. This stops the dog swivelling on a single fastening point which they will do in a sharp braking action and also having the clips at a point closer to the tail stops the tendency for the rear to slide forwards and put the force around the neck area rather than than the chest.
This is how my two collies travel and provided the lengths are adjusted carefully they will not come off the seat but can still lie down if they wish.

To me that looks like the seat belt is able to be positioned at the head end when the dog is sitting up rather than lower towards the tail - if the belt is too high to the head the rear of the dog can slide under putting the strain around the neck area in a sudden stop.
I prefer a fixed position buckle on mine towards the middle of the back to try to avoid that happening.

My girl is in a crate in the back. I used to transport her just in the boot space of my estate car but then I read about an accident where there were 4 dogs in the vehicle. 2 in crates, 2 not. All four survived the accident unharmed, however the two that were not crated escaped and got killed on the motorway. She’s been in a crate ever since and to be fair she’s very comfortable in it.
So sorry to hear that.

Back