Dogs - How Do You Transport Yours?

craig_T6

WE would like to convert our panel van to have a dog cage big enough to fit 3 medium dogs and a bed for two people in there, does anyone have any ideas?

Have looked at Rock n Roll beds but because of the cage I don't think I can fit a full length bed too.

Any thought or pictures to help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Craig

It may be worth looking at so called "Kombi Beds".
I don't think they need the kombi seats, I think they are just a large platform bed with a large area beneath. They come in various heights depending on the size of crate you may need to put beneath.
Kombi Beds for Camper Vans

Last edited:
Having settled on a Kombi SWB to have professionally converted to a camper I've got the new concern of transporting my dogs. How do you transport yours? I'd be keen to see pictures of dog travel arrangements.

I've got two Border Terriers who travel well in the back of my estate Octavia and my little 4x4, but I'm thinking of long drives to Southern Europe. I'd like to give them a view but keep them safe too.

Grateful for any tips.

We had a 'seat' made for our T6 based on the bodge job I did on our T5. It sits between the front seats and allows our collie to sit / lie between us but is clipped to the passenger seat belt. I think that the law has changed such that dogs must be in a cage / 'sealed' boot area or clipped to a seatbelt. Ours had temper tantrums when he was young and we dared to put him in a crate in the boot like he was just a dog... So it's the back seat of the Fabia on a seat belt or his posh sofa in the T6... just need to find an air bag for him now :)

However, we've just got a new puppy so that investment has gone awry already! Probably end up with them on the (crash tested) R&R seat both clipped to seat belts. Currently the puppy is in a crate, but it's a pain in the proverbial for overnighting.

We use climbing karabinas either on the seatbelt clip, or with the belt fixed. Don't be tempted to put them on a lead or long string to let them change position - defeats the object of the clip!

We had a 'seat' made for our T6 based on the bodge job I did on our T5. It sits between the front seats and allows our collie to sit / lie between us but is clipped to the passenger seat belt. I think that the law has changed such that dogs must be in a cage / 'sealed' boot area or clipped to a seatbelt. Ours had temper tantrums when he was young and we dared to put him in a crate in the boot like he was just a dog... So it's the back seat of the Fabia on a seat belt or his posh sofa in the T6... just need to find an air bag for him now :)

However, we've just got a new puppy so that investment has gone awry already! Probably end up with them on the (crash tested) R&R seat both clipped to seat belts. Currently the puppy is in a crate, but it's a pain in the proverbial for overnighting.

We use climbing karabinas either on the seatbelt clip, or with the belt fixed. Don't be tempted to put them on a lead or long string to let them change position - defeats the object of the clip!
Good idea that. I wondered if I could bodge something myself for the rear, they've no issues going in a crate but I'm keen the get a view. It's their holiday too..

Proper approved safety harness or secured cage, nothing else is safe for them in an accident... No point giving them a view if they snap thier necks or spine or, even worse, snap yours on thier way to flying through the windscreen should the worst happen.

Thats an approved device used in the approved manner too...

Two collies - harnesses with appropriate length belts with clip to ring furthest to rear of dog from seat belt - buy the pukka seatbelt clip not the flimsy Chinese ones and another belt fastened underneath the seat to belt in from the other side. Make the belts with adjustment for differing sizes of dog. The idea is to restrain the dogs with the harness which will take the strain across the chest in a sudden stop. I use the 2 ring harnesses but don't be tempted to use the ring close to the head as in a sudden stop the dog could slide under the restraint. The seat belt clips are available on ebay as is strong nylon webbing to make the belts. A single belt allows too much sideways movement in a case of a side on shunt.

That's horrendous. Never will they be transported like that.
That is diabolical, forget that it looks awful and must scare the bejesus out of the dog; but the slightest rear end tap will probably kill it!

I built a little bench thats long enough to allow our dog to stretch out on two seats and allow a person to sit behind the passenger. I covered it in grey felt..to match the cabin..and ordered a waterproof bench seat..made to mesure. It has a grippy underside so it doesnt slip..and has a completely water proof removable cover. I bought a dog seat belt and it clips onto her harness. I went to all this trouble as my dog comes to work with me everyday so its worth it..shes very comfortable back there!

20190804_164649.jpg

20190804_164656.jpg

20190804_164844.jpg

We are about to buy a T6 Camper and were wondering how other owners transported their dogs. At present our Cockapoo travels in the boot of my Volvo V50 or is very lucky in our Ford Grand C-Max as the middle passenger seat in the rear folds away so he has a section between the two other passengers. How do you safely transport your dog? We don't want a cage.

Back